Online Class: Autism 101
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this courseLoading...
A result of inadequate parenting
Nor is it a learning disability.
And a diagnosis certainly needn't be viewed as a life long sentence to mediocrity, emptiness, dissatisfaction or lack of either fulfillment or productivity.
Autism is plainly and simply a neurobiological condition (more specifically a neurodevelopmental disorder) that comes with lifelong challenges but also brings with it some fantastic lifelong opportunities for growth. Opportunities which are not only limited to the person who has the condition, but also for siblings and other family members, friends and supporters.
Certainly, nobody has to be condemned to a less than first rate life because they are labeled in some way, or another, as being defective or less than they can be, solely because they are autistic. Yes, it can be frightening (particularly to a new parent) when a child is diagnosed with a condition that has no known cure and about which many doctors and researchers still disagree. And yes, it may be a different life than a parent would have envisaged.
BUT there is much more than just hope, there are living breathing examples of autistic people who have achieved much and will continue to achieve do so, such as the widely acknowledged Dr Temple Grandin (college professor, sought after professional speaker and inventor).
Famous people of the past who were very likely to have been in some way autistic, include such as Albert Einstein. So autism is not only treatable but can in many ways utilized and developed as a gift.
This course will give you an insight into this condition (once considered very rare) which touches many more lives than people realize, or even care to admit. There is much reason for hope!
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1 - Autism: Myths and MisconceptionsLesson 1 - Myths & Misconceptions
Lesson 2: An Overview of a Special World -- Autism!Lesson 2: An Overview of a Special World - Autism!
Lesson 3: Exploring the History and Language of AutismLesson 3: Exploring the History and Language of Autism
Lesson 4: Symptoms, Screening, and DiagnosisLesson 4: Symptoms, Screening, and Diagnosis
Lesson 5: Treatment Options - Understanding, Evaluating, Deciding, and ManagingLesson 5: Treatment Options - Understanding, Evaluating, Deciding, and Managing
Lesson 6: Education -- You, Yours, and Everyone Else!Lesson 6: Education -- You, Yours, and Everyone Else!
Lesson 7: Family Life With AutismLesson 7: Family Life With Autism
Lesson 8: The Beginning of Life: A Child With AutismLesson 8: The Beginning of Life: A Child With Autism
Lesson 9: Continuing Life: Living as an Autistic AdultLesson 9:Continuing Life: Living as an Autistic Adult
Lesson 10: Communicating Within the Autistic WorldLesson 10: Communicating Within the Autistic World
Lesson 11: Support Is Often the Key - Choices and OptionsLesson 11: Support Is Often the Key - Choices and Options
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Autism 101Course Number: 7550059Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: General EducationCEU Value: 1.0 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: autismtoday.onlineclasses.comInstructor: Dr. Deirdre MithaugSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $70.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $95.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Identify and describe the myths and misconceptions of autism.
- Describe the history of autism.
- Identify the symptoms of autism, describe screening techniques for autism, and recognize the diagnosis of autism.
- Identify and evaluate various treatments of autism.
- Describe ways to manage autism.
- Describe family life with autism.
- Identify the differences between managing a child with autism and managing an adult with autism.
- Demonstrate various techniques to communicate with an autistic person, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1 Assignment Assignment 25 Quiz for Lesson 1 - Myths & Misconceptions Exam 8 Lesson 2 Assignment Assignment 25 Quiz for Lesson 2 - An Overview of a Special World - Autism! Exam 9 Lesson 3 Assignment Assignment 25 Quiz for Lesson 3 - Exploring the history & language of Autism Exam 9 Lesson 4 Assignment Assignment 25 Quiz for Lesson 4 - Symptoms, Screening & Diagnosis Exam 10 Lesson 5 Assignment Assignment 25 Quiz for Lesson 5 - Treatment Options - Understanding, Evaluating, Deciding & Managing Exam 10 Lesson 6 Assignment Assignment 25 Quiz for Lesson 6 - Education: You, Yours and Everyone else! Exam 10 Lesson 7 Assignment Assignment 25 Quiz for Lesson 7 - Family Life with Autism Exam 10 Lesson 8 Assignment Assignment 25 Quiz for Lesson 8 - The Beginning of Life – A Child with Autism Exam 8 Lesson 9 Assignment Assignment 25 Quiz for Lesson 9 - Continuing Life; Living as an Autistic Adult Exam 10 Lesson 10 Assignment Assignment 25 Quiz for Lesson 10 - Communicating within the Autistic World Exam 10 Lesson 11 Assignment Assignment 25 Quiz for Lesson 11- Support is Often the Key - Choices & Options Exam 8 The Final Exam Exam 51 Total Points: 428
- "All of it was helpful in that I had limited exposure to students with autism in the past and I started working with children with autism during the time I was taking this course." -- Cherene P.
- "I enjoyed the way the course was organized, the information presented was complete and offered a variety of links to further my exploration on the topic and the instructor was quick to respond to questions and concerns as well as read through assignments." -- Cynthia B.
- "Lesson links were helpful and great resources." -- Kathy D.
- "It was all good." -- Jessica D.
- "I learned a lot about how to be aware of the systems of autism." -- Sarah N.