Learning Disabilities: What You Need to Know
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this course
Welcome to our course on learning disabilities. Learning disabilities affect thousands of students (and adult non-students) from all areas of life. In this course, adults as well as students, parents, relatives and teachers will learn the basics regarding the identification and characteristics of different learning disabilities, and which types are most commonly diagnosed. While this course is not intended to provide an in-depth view of learning disabilities, students will learn the basics regarding causes of learning disabilities, and how they're diagnosed and classified.
Academic placement challenges for the learning disabled exist in schools around the country, from pre-K through high school and postsecondary environments. We'll introduce students to the most common accommodations taken in classroom environments that help teachers develop well-rounded educational development plans for meeting the needs of mainstream, and learning disables students. You'll gain a greater understanding and appreciation for different types of instructional strategies often initiated for the learning disabled, as well as practical approaches to such strategies by teachers and educators.
Learning disabilities often accompany and coincide with additional social or behavior issues, such as lack of self-esteem and self-confidence. We'll introduce a few famous people who have not only accepted their learning disabilities, but learned to cope and overcome many of them. Coping with a learning disability is not easy for students, parents, or teachers, so tips and strategies for parents and teachers when it comes to coping is a topic broached within this course.
Finally, we'll define the seven different types of learners, and the best approach to instruction for each in home and school environments. We'll conclude the course with various methods that parents and teachers can take to help students, deal with stress and expectations, as well as instilling a sense of confidence and self-esteem in those diagnosed with a learning disability.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: What are Learning Disabilities?This lesson will define learning disabilities and discuss the many signs and characteristics that often accompany these learning difficulties.
Lesson 2: Types and Prevalence of Learning DisabilitiesIn this lesson, we'll discuss the most common types of learning disabilities, break them down into prevalence of age groups, from toddlers to adults, and then offer a brief summary of the most commonly identified and treated learning disabilities.
Lesson 3: Causes of Learning DisabilitiesIn this lesson, we'll focus on a handful of causes of learning disabilities and briefly define them to give parents, teachers, and family members a greater understanding of how broad the realm of a learning disability really is.
Lesson 4: How Learning Disabilities Are Diagnosed and ClassifiedIn this lesson, we'll briefly explain how learning disabilities are diagnosed, through a variety of assessment processes.
Lesson 5: Academic Placement ChallengesIn this lesson, we'll delve deeper into some of the challenges that confront teachers, school districts, and other students when it comes to learning disability accommodations in a classroom environment, as well as special education needs.
Lesson 6: Learning Disabilities and ADHDIn this lesson, we're going to define the difference between a learning disability and ADHD, and how ADHD specifically affects learning in children and adults.
Lesson 7: Instructional Strategies for Learning Disabilities (Part One)Our next two lessons focus on instructional strategies for learning disabilities and different approaches to such strategies.
Lesson 8: Practical Approaches to Instructional Strategies for Learning Disabilities (Part Two)In this lesson, we'll provide basic practical approaches to such situations, but teachers and parents should always be open to exploring options and possibilities when it comes to teaching a child with any learning disability.
Lesson 9: Dealing With It: Famous People With Learning DisabilitiesA glimpse back into history has determined that many famous individuals from around the world and throughout history experienced numerous learning issues.
Lesson 10: Coping With a Learning DisabilityIn this lesson, we'll focus on tips and strategies parents and teachers can utilize to help children deal with a learning disability.
Lesson 11: Increasing ConfidenceIn this lesson, we'll focus on how those with learning disabilities can deal with stress, and how parents can help instill confidence and self-esteem in their children.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Learning Disabilities: What You Need to KnowCourse Number: 8900192Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: General EducationCEU Value: 1.0 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: learningdisability101.onlineclasses.comInstructor: Dr. Deirdre MithaugSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $55.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $80.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define learning disabilities.
- Describe characteristics of learning disabilities.
- Summarize types and prevalence of learning disabilities.
- Summarize causes of learning disabilities.
- Describe assessment and diagnosis of learning disabilities.
- Describe educational placement alternatives and accommodations.
- Summarize learning strategies for students with learning disabilities.
- Describe methods for teaching students with learning disabilities, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 1 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 2 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 2 Exam Exam 8 Lesson 3 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 3 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 4 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 4 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 5 Assignment A Assignment 20 Lesson 5 Assignment B Assignment 20 Lesson 5 Exam Exam 8 Lesson 6 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 6 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 7 Assignment Assignment 35 Lesson 7 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 8 Assignment Assignment 30 Lesson 8 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 9 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 9 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 10 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 10 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 11 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 11 Exam Exam 10 The Final Exam Exam 34 Total Points: 402
- "The part I found most helpful were the readings and how I feel that I got a lot of information out of it....The course was really fast paced and covered a lot of material and I feel that I got a lot out of it and the Professor prepared all of the lessons well and it was well organized." -- Angela A.
- "I really enjoyed the online forum responses and reading the articles. Many of the articles were very interesting....Whenever I emailed the instructor, she got back to me in a timely fashion. That really helped me a lot." -- Patrick T.
- "Great instructor!" -- Judith B.
- "Instructor gave great feedback and graded my exams quickly and returned my grade at a reasonable time. Everything was well organized. And in addition, would let me know what areas to work on and he would explain why I lost points in a certain area. The feedback and knowledge in the content area made this online class a wonderful experience. You also learn from the other students online. Their experiences and outlooks contribute to self growth and development in the content area. " -- Niaz N.
- "I really enjoyed this class and I recommended it to two of my friends for next semester" -- Tara F.
- "Since I became a new Mom this year my time is very busy. I could access my work at anytime of day was great. The professor was excellent, fair, and very thorough. I would recommend her to anyone....The instructor is awesome. She is very competent and fair, I believe she gives an fair amount of time to submit work and is very quick at getting you back your work. She always answers every e-mail in a timely manner. The work she assigns is appropriate and really makes you think. I feel her assignments force you to learn about exceptional students and forces you, in a guided positive way, out of your comfort zone. She does a great job!" -- Julie S.
- "I was very unsure I'd like online classes before taking this course. But now I feel comfortable and understand how an online course works and will be taking more in the future." -- Teresa N.
- View More Testimonials...