with CEU Certificate*
Welcome to our course on learning disabilities. Learning disabilities affect thousands of students (and adult non-students) from all areas of life. In this course, adults as well as students, parents, relatives and teachers will learn the basics regarding the identification and characteristics of different learning disabilities, and which types are most commonly diagnosed. While this course is not intended to provide an in-depth view of learning disabilities, students will learn the basics regarding causes of learning disabilities, and how they're diagnosed and classified.
Academic placement challenges for the learning disabled exist in schools around the country, from pre-K through high school and postsecondary environments. We'll introduce students to the most common accommodations taken in classroom environments that help teachers develop well-rounded educational development plans for meeting the needs of mainstream, and learning disables students. You'll gain a greater understanding and appreciation for different types of instructional strategies often initiated for the learning disabled, as well as practical approaches to such strategies by teachers and educators.
Learning disabilities often accompany and coincide with additional social or behavior issues, such as lack of self-esteem and self-confidence. We'll introduce a few famous people who have not only accepted their learning disabilities, but learned to cope and overcome many of them. Coping with a learning disability is not easy for students, parents, or teachers, so tips and strategies for parents and teachers when it comes to coping is a topic broached within this course.
Finally, we'll define the seven different types of learners, and the best approach to instruction for each in home and school environments. We'll conclude the course with various methods that parents and teachers can take to help students, deal with stress and expectations, as well as instilling a sense of confidence and self-esteem in those diagnosed with a learning disability.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: What are Learning Disabilities?This lesson will define learning disabilities and discuss the many signs and characteristics that often accompany these learning difficulties.
Lesson 2: Types and Prevalence of Learning DisabilitiesIn this lesson, we'll discuss the most common types of learning disabilities, break them down into prevalence of age groups, from toddlers to adults, and then offer a brief summary of the most commonly identified and treated learning disabilities.
Lesson 3: Causes of Learning DisabilitiesIn this lesson, we'll focus on a handful of causes of learning disabilities and briefly define them to give parents, teachers, and family members a greater understanding of how broad the realm of a learning disability really is.
Lesson 4: How Learning Disabilities Are Diagnosed and ClassifiedIn this lesson, we'll briefly explain how learning disabilities are diagnosed, through a variety of assessment processes.
Lesson 5: Academic Placement ChallengesIn this lesson, we'll delve deeper into some of the challenges that confront teachers, school districts, and other students when it comes to learning disability accommodations in a classroom environment, as well as special education needs.
Lesson 6: Learning Disabilities and ADHDIn this lesson, we're going to define the difference between a learning disability and ADHD, and how ADHD specifically affects learning in children and adults.
Lesson 7: Instructional Strategies for Learning Disabilities (Part One)Our next two lessons focus on instructional strategies for learning disabilities and different approaches to such strategies.
Lesson 8: Practical Approaches to Instructional Strategies for Learning Disabilities (Part Two)In this lesson, we'll provide basic practical approaches to such situations, but teachers and parents should always be open to exploring options and possibilities when it comes to teaching a child with any learning disability.
Lesson 9: Dealing With It: Famous People With Learning DisabilitiesA glimpse back into history has determined that many famous individuals from around the world and throughout history experienced numerous learning issues.
Lesson 10: Coping With a Learning DisabilityIn this lesson, we'll focus on tips and strategies parents and teachers can utilize to help children deal with a learning disability.
Lesson 11: Increasing ConfidenceIn this lesson, we'll focus on how those with learning disabilities can deal with stress, and how parents can help instill confidence and self-esteem in their children.
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define learning disabilities.
- Describe characteristics of learning disabilities.
- Summarize types and prevalence of learning disabilities.
- Summarize causes of learning disabilities.
- Describe assessment and diagnosis of learning disabilities.
- Describe educational placement alternatives and accommodations.
- Summarize learning strategies for students with learning disabilities.
- Describe methods for teaching students with learning disabilities, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 1 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 2 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 3 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 4 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 5 Assignment A||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 5 Assignment B||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 5 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 6 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||35|
|Lesson 7 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 8 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 9 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 10 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 11 Exam||Exam||10|
|The Final Exam||Exam||34|
- Early Childhood Development 101$90.000.8 CEUs
- Behavior Management 101$90.001.0 CEUs
- Problem Solving Strategies$60.000.6 CEUs
- Building Self-Esteem in Children$60.000.7 CEUs
- Autism 101$95.001.0 CEUs
- Reading Comprehension 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Learning Disabilities: What You Need to Know$80.001.0 CEUs
- Personality Development$60.001.4 CEUs
- Attention Deficit Disorders: ADD and ADHD$85.001.0 CEUs
- How To Be a Substitute Teacher$80.000.5 CEUs
- First Grade Curriculum$65.000.5 CEUs
- Second Grade Curriculum$65.001.0 CEUs
- Childhood Obesity$54.000.5 CEUs
- Basic Parenting 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Emotional and Behavioral Disorders$80.000.9 CEUs
- Autism Spectrum Disorders for Teachers$80.000.9 CEUs
- How to Teach Reading Fundamentals$60.001.1 CEUs
- Applied Behavior Analysis Strategies for Teachers$85.001.0 CEUs
- Child Psychology 101$75.001.0 CEUs
- Special Education 101: Foundations, Purpose, & Challenges$70.003.0 CEUs