- OR -
with CEU Certificate*
with CEU Certificate*
Start Right Now!
Taking multiple courses? Save with our platinum program.
1.5 CEUs :: 15 Contact Hours :: Self-Paced :: Instructor Support :: 6 Month Subscription
This comprehensive course provides an up-to-date presentation of the essentials of sociological study. Students will learn a wide range of classical and contemporary perspectives which will encourage links between theories and current research. With the addition of numerous net links, thoughtful exercises and examples, and review quizzes--this course will help students develop a sociological imagination. This is an ideal environment in which to examine ourselves, study our own society, as well as study our neighbors.
Topics covered will examine the sociological perspectives, sociological research, cultural debates, the process of socialization, groups and organizations, crime and deviance, stratification, inequality and discrimination that effects ageism and gender, race and ethnicity, issues involving the economy, different forms of government, marriage, religion, health and environment safety, urbanization, and social movements. This course is an excellent resource for any age student pursuing aspects of this study or the non-academic hobbyists and life-long learners.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: Introduction to SociologyTopics will include an introduction, terminology, and the importance of sociology in public health.
Lesson 2: Developing a Sociological PerspectiveTopics will include the different sociological perspectives, how each is defined, and how they interact.
Lesson 3: Sociological ResearchTopics will include methodologies, reliability, and validity of research to achieve results.
Lesson 4: CultureTopics will focus on the importance of culture and debates in research.
Lesson 5: Socialization and the Life CycleTopics will focus on the environmental, genetics, and social experiences in socialization.
Lesson 6: Social InteractionTopics will focus on the day-to-day contact with other individuals, including physical, verbal, and observational interactions.
Lesson 7: Groups and OrganizationsTopics will focus on the elements of interaction among individuals with similar characteristics.
Lesson 8: Governments, Political Power, and WarTopics will focus on the importance of politics in societies.
Lesson 9: Urbanization and PopulationTopics will focus on the effects of environment on lifestyles and development.
Lesson 10: Deviance, Crime, and Social ConformityTopics will focus on societies' "norm" in acceptable behavior.
Lesson 11: Stratification, Class, and InequalityTopics will focus on how disparities in wealth and education divide individuals into social classes.
Lesson 12: Gender and Age Inequality: Sexism and AgeismTopics will focus on the effect of gender and age in determining social and cultural roles and opportunities.
Lesson 13: Race and Ethnic InequalityTopics will focus on discriminatory behavior against racial and ethnic groups.
Lesson 14: Marriage and the FamilyTopics will include the changing definition of marriage and the Healthy Marriage Initiative.
Lesson 15: Work and Economic LifeThis lesson will explore economic life during the industrial age, during the information age, and during the period when economic growth seeks globalization.
Lesson 16: Mass Media and EducationThis lesson will focus on freedom of speech or censorship and how the mass media is a concern for parents safeguarding children's viewing.
Lesson 17: Religion and EducationTopics will focus on the role of religion in public education.
Lesson 18: Health and the EnvironmentTopics will focus on how public health and the environment are intertwined.
Lesson 19: Social Change and Social MovementsTopics will focus on cultural changes in attitudes and behaviors caused by different social movements.
Final ExamFinal exam
Average Lesson Rating: (695 votes)
15 Contact Hours
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Course Title: Sociology 101
Course Number: 33335
Languages: English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries
Course Type: College Level
CEU Value: 1.5 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)
CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).
Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earned
Assessment Method: Lesson assignments and review exams
Course URL: sociology.onlineclasses.com
Instructor: Dr. Deirdre Mithaug
Syllabus: View Syllabus
Course Review: Read Editorial Review
Requirements: View Technical Requirements
Course Fee: $65.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $90.00
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define sociology.
- Describe developing a sociological perspective, sociological research, and culture.
- Describe socialization and the life cycle.
- Describe social interaction.
- Describe groups and organizations.
- Describe governments, political power, and war.
- Describe urbanization and population.
- Describe deviance, crime, and social conformity.
- Describe stratification, class, and inequality.
- Describe gender, age, race, and ethnic inequality.
- Describe marriage and the family.
- Describe work and economic life.
- Describe mass media and education.
- Describe religion and education.
- Describe health and the environment.
- Describe social change and social movements, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Exam||Exam||6|
|Lesson 2 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 3 Exam||Exam||8|
|Current Discussions involving Cultural Issues||Assignment||50|
|Lesson 4 Exam||Exam||5|
|Opinion: Early Life Experience vs. Later Life Experiences||Assignment||50|
|Lesson 5 Exam||Exam||9|
|Who is this guy?||Assignment||50|
|Lesson 6 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 7 Exam||Exam||7|
|Examples of Governments and Political Structures||Assignment||50|
|Lesson 8 Exam||Exam||7|
|Lesson 9 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 10 Exam||Exam||8|
|Barriers to Social Mobility||Assignment||50|
|Lesson 11 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 12 Exam||Exam||10|
|Opinion: Types of Discrimination||Assignment||50|
|Lesson 13 Exam||Exam||10|
|What is HMI?||Assignment||50|
|Lesson 14 Exam||Exam||10|
|Opinion: Working Today||Assignment||50|
|Lesson 15 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 16 Exam||Exam||4|
|Religion vs. Spirituality||Assignment||50|
|Lesson 17 Exam||Exam||7|
|Lesson 18 Exam||Exam||6|
|Social Movement Examples||Assignment||50|
|Lesson 19 Exam||Exam||9|
- Psychology 101$90.001.6 CEUs
- Organizational Psychology 101$110.000.8 CEUs
- Conflict Resolution 101$75.000.9 CEUs
- Assertiveness Training$60.001.1 CEUs
- Early Childhood Development 101$90.000.8 CEUs
- Behavior Management 101$90.001.0 CEUs
- Management Essentials$60.000.7 CEUs
- Problem Solving Strategies$60.000.6 CEUs
- Healthy Relationships$50.001.0 CEUs
- Abnormal Psychology 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Building Self-Esteem in Children$60.001.0 CEUs
- Mediation 101$95.001.2 CEUs
- Confidence Building$55.001.0 CEUs
- The Art of Breathing$50.001.0 CEUs
- Learning Disabilities: What You Need to Know$80.001.0 CEUs
- Business Consulting 101$70.001.1 CEUs
- Crisis Management 101$80.001.2 CEUs
- Personality Development$60.001.4 CEUs
- Spiritual Counseling$95.001.3 CEUs
- Attention Deficit Disorders: ADD and ADHD$85.001.0 CEUs
- Relaxation 101$50.001.0 CEUs
- How To Be a Substitute Teacher$80.001.0 CEUs
- First Grade Curriculum$65.001.0 CEUs
- Second Grade Curriculum$65.001.0 CEUs
- Introduction to Six Sigma$95.001.0 CEUs
- Stress Management$75.001.0 CEUs
- Meditation 101: Learn How to Meditate$55.001.1 CEUs
- Childhood Obesity$54.001.0 CEUs
- Basic Parenting 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Business Management$110.001.1 CEUs
- Understanding Business Administration$95.001.1 CEUs
- Depression Management$65.001.0 CEUs
- Emotional and Behavioral Disorders$80.000.9 CEUs