Virus Removal and Protection 101
with CEU Certificate*
Course DescriptionIt's amazing how many of us own personal computers at home, belong to Internet networking systems in work environments, and yet don't understand the very basics regarding Internet Security. While we've all heard terms like worms, spyware and Trojan horse, we're not exactly sure what they are or what they do to our computer.
Nearly every one of us has experienced an Internet virus in our computer's lifetime but still neglect to take adequate steps to protect our computers, our data, and our privacy from others through best-practice protection methods.
In this course, we'll define the difference between a virus and spyware. We'll break down the source and damage a virus can cause to your computer and share information on protecting your computer against virus attacks. Safe computer usage is the primary focus of this course. You'll learn how to reduce your vulnerability to online spam, spyware and viruses and take steps to protect your computer against all malware. This course will help you pay more attention in regard to monitoring your computer usage and downloads and how to detect, identify, and clean an infection.
Options for virus removal may help protect your computer, your privacy, and your important documents from attack. We'll explain why the installation of security patches is just as important as installing antivirus software to your computer. We'll discuss Internet Security options and where you can find popular antivirus software downloads or where you can purchase them for installation onto your computer. Finally, we'll discuss Internet safety tips for you and your family.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More Information
Lesson 1: Online Threat BasicsLearning how to safeguard your computer system from spam, viruses, and spyware is a valuable component to computer ownership.
Lesson 2: Beware of Common Internet DangersAmong the major drawbacks of Internet computer usage are dangers such as infections, viruses, and spyware.
Lesson 3: What the Heck Is Spyware?Spyware can collect your personal information, change your computer configurations, and make your computer behave erratically.
Lesson 4: What Is a Virus?Basically, a computer virus is some type of malicious program that is specifically designed to delete your files, damage your computer system, and generally make a mess out of the inside of your computer's operating system.
Lesson 5: Anatomy of a VirusUnderstanding the basic anatomy of a virus will help you become more adept at recognizing attack or infection and how you can protect your computer and your files against it.
Lesson 6: Protecting Your Computer Against VirusYou can take much of the risk out of using your personal computer by making a habit of performing certain common tasks.
Lesson 7: Reducing Your VulnerabilityReducing your vulnerability to virus attacks means you have to take time to determine how your computer usage and habits might expose you to a computer virus.
Lesson 8: Getting Rid of a VirusYou do not have to be a computer whiz to understand the basics of virus removal; and whether or not you attempt virus removal yourself, it is a good idea to know how it is done.
Lesson 9: Installing Security PatchesAnytime you subscribe to antivirus, firewall, or antispyware protection, you will need to continually update your systems files in order to identify changes, improvements, or new parameters that help your computer detect and get rid of such viruses.
Lesson 10: Internet Security OptionsYour selection of antivirus software and protection should be based on your computer usage. An antivirus program that you buy for home use may be totally different from something you would use at work.
Lesson 11: Top Ten Tips for Internet SafetyProtecting your computer against viruses and reducing your vulnerability are all responsibilities of the computer user.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- Describe online threat basics.
- Describe beware of common internet dangers.
- Define virus.
- Define what is a virus.
- Describe anatomy of a virus.
- Summarize protecting your computer against virus.
- Describe reducing your vulnerability.
- Determine the best methods for getting rid of a virus.
- Summarize installing security patches and other Internet security options.
- Summarize top ten tips for internet safety, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 1 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 3 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 4 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 5 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 6 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 7 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 8 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 9 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 10 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 11 Exam||Exam||9|
|The Final Exam||Exam||53|
- "The course changed my perspective on computers in a good way. They are not toys to be taken for granted as a simple means of entertainment. I liked the instructor very much. He seems very polite, knowledgeable, interested in the subject, as well as extremely informed. He responded to questions in a timely manner. Thank you." -- Roseann G.
- "Great and helpful in real life." -- Joann B.
- "What was most helpful were the hints to increase my computer's security and help protect it from viruses and other malware and what to do if my computer is infected." -- Patty C.
- "All of it was helpful. I knew a little, and this helped me get a better understanding of how to do things and how to avoid a lot of problems. Great course, I will continue to take some courses from Universal Class." -- Gilbert M.
- "I enjoyed taking a course that covered how to deal with computer viruses with an overview before dealing with actual computer problems. Knowledge is certainly power." -- Margaret B.
- "The instructor helped me out in this class." -- Darlene D.