Early Childhood Development 101
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this courseLoading...
Child development may be defined as the various changes that occur for humans (e.g., physical, cognitive, social, and emotional) between birth and adulthood. Child development may also examine changes that occur prenatally (i.e. before birth). The changes that happen before birth and in the early years of life impact us all and shape who we become as adults. Early child development often focuses on the first five years of life.
Child development is a multidisciplinary field which relies on knowledge from several other fields such as psychology, sociology, human development, and the medical field. The study of child development is important to improve outcomes for children and in turn, society as a whole. The following course provides key knowledge of this field. Each lesson includes and introduction, a lesson which contains the major aspects of each topic area, a conclusion section which summarizes the lesson, and a quiz on the lesson. Some lessons also contain helpful online resources for learning more about early childhood development. After taking this course, a person should be familiar with the basics of the field of child development, the four key domains of child development, developmental milestones, and development disabilities.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Feedback
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: Basics of Child DevelopmentChild development is a multidisciplinary field that relies on knowledge from several other fields, such as psychology, sociology, human development, and the medical field.
Lesson 2: Prenatal DevelopmentPrenatal development is the earliest stage of human development. It pertains to all of the development that occurs before birth.
Lesson 3: Infant DevelopmentInfant development is the earliest stage of a childs development after birth. In general, the term infant refers to babies between the ages of 0 to 12 months.
Lesson 4: Physical DevelopmentThis lesson covers the key areas of knowledge one should have regarding early childhood physical development, including the development of the body, motor skills, senses, and brain.
Lesson 5: Cognitive DevelopmentThe term cognition refers to how the mind operates and the study of cognitive development focuses on how the mind thinks and learns during the early years of life.
Lesson 6: Emotional and Social DevelopmentThe following lesson covers the key areas of knowledge one should have in regard to early childhood emotional and social development, including the key areas of this type of development.
Lesson 7: Language and Literacy DevelopmentLanguage and literacy development are major domains of early childhood development.
Lesson 8: Developmental MilestonesThe following lesson presents the key milestones that babies and toddlers should reach within their early childhood development.
Lesson 9: Developmental DisabilitiesAccording to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, developmental disabilities are a group of conditions due to an impairment in physical, learning, language, or behavior areas.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Early Childhood Development 101Course Number: 8900269Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: General EducationCEU Value: 0.8 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsInstructor: Dr. Deirdre MithaugSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $65.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $90.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe brain development in early childhood.
- Describe the developmental connections made in early childhood.
- Describe development in infants.
- Describe developments in early language and literacy.
- Describe ways to communicate with your baby.
- Summarize cognitive development from infant to early childhood.
- Describe the emotional and social development of children.
- Summarize the effects of maltreatment on early brain development.
- Describe developmental issues of premature infants.
- Recognize and describe developmental disabilities in children, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
An Introduction Assignment 1 Lesson 1 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 1 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 2 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 2 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 3 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 3 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 4 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 4 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 5 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 5 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 6 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 6 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 7 Assignment Assignment 5 Lesson 7 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 8 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 8 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 9 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 9 Exam Exam 10 The Final Exam Exam 44 Total Points: 218
Choose Your Subscription PlanCourse OnlyOne Course
No Certificate / No CEUs$65for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate X Includes CEUs X Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 courseCertificate CourseOne Course
Certificate & CEUs$90for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 coursePlatinum YearlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$189per yearYou save 50%!Billed once
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 12 Months No. of courses 500+Platinum MonthlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$59 first month$29.00 / month thereafterBilled monthly
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete Monthly No. of courses 500+
- "Well put together. Really fun." -- Erika B.
- "This instructor was awesome. She was readily available and very helpful." -- Deborah B.
- "I loved learning all about how the brain develops and what I can do to encourage development in my son. Instructor was great, very helpful!" -- Nichole B.
- "The way the material was presented was very clear and easy to comprehend. The instructor got back to me quickly, which was appreciated. She was also helpful, positive, clear and concise." -- Brooke S.
- "I really liked this course. It helped me a lot. I like my instructor too. Thanks so much." -- Jessica K.
- "The entire course was most helpful." -- Anique L.
- "It was a great course. She was a great instructor." -- Rachel M.
- View More Testimonials...