| || || |
Learn How to Write Shorthand
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
Gregg Shorthand is the most widely used system of its kind in the world. It is used by millions of professionals from all walks of life in nearly every country worldwide. This system of shorthand is the most efficient of any other type created, it is considered the easiest to learn, use and read, it is simple, straightforward and elegant in design. As the Gregg system evolved, since its inception in 1888, it has become even easier to learn over the years.
This course addresses the newest version of Gregg Shorthand, which is the second edition “Simplified.” You will find that by learning this system of shorthand that your work will become much easier and the knowledge you have obtained will give you valuable access to numerous positions in the business world.
There are ten comprehensive lessons written in an easy to follow, informative manner.
Lessons will contain the following elements:
- Introduction to the Lesson: "Introduction"
- The Lesson body broken down by topic: “Learn It”
- Lesson Conclusion: “Conclusion”
- Practice writing and audio activities following each lesson
- Brief lesson review quiz
- Highlighted key terms, checklists, exercises, and Web site resources will be threaded throughout the entire course when and where appropriate and necessary.
Making full use of this course, in its entirety, is the first step in getting more of what you want in life and business.
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate shorthand strokes.
- Demonstrate basic writing using shorthand.
- Use shorthand to record verbal conversations.
- Recognize word beginnings and endings to speed up writing.
- Describe methods for developing shorthand skills, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1: Introduction to Gregg ShorthandThis introductory lesson will go over what you will need to begin this course.
Lesson 2: Lesson 1 - First Shorthand StrokesThis first lesson will cover a great deal of material which will teach you basic first shorthand strokes that are the foundation for future shorthand work. Gregg shorthand is not just a lot of squiggly pen or pencil strokes, it is a method of abbreviating
Lesson 3: Lesson 2 - Useful Shorthand DevicesThis lesson covers devices that make writing shorthand much easier and more fluid as you progress in your study. There are several brief forms covered as well as useful word beginnings and endings. Amounts and quantities will be discussed and how to repre
Lesson 4: Lesson 3 - Nine More Shorthand StrokesIn lesson three you will learn nine more new shorthand strokes. Additionally you will learn more brief forms, the word ending --ther and how to use W in the body of a word, among other things. If you have been practicing writing your newly learned knowled
Lesson 5: Lesson 4 - Six New Alphabetic CharactersIn Lesson Four you will learn six new shorthand strokes! You will also learn the combination of the letters T, E and D, more about the omission of minor vowels, the days of the week, the months of the year, cities and states and many other usful shorthand
Lesson 6: Lesson 5 - Useful Word Beginnings and EndingsIn lesson five you will cover only two new strokes. When you complete this lesson five only two strokes remain to be learned in the Gregg shorthand alphabet. In this lesson you will mostly learn many new word beginnings and endings. Study them well and pr
Lesson 7: Lesson 6 - The Remainder of the Gregg Alphabet topicsThis lesson will complete the Gregg shorthand alphabet. We will cover letter combinations of -Den, -Ten, -Tain, -Dem, and --Tem, useful phrases, special business forms, Omissions and other Derivations, Words Beginning Incl-, Post-, Super-, Supr- and Trans
Lesson 8: Lesson 7 - Abbreviating Devices topicsLesson Seven has its focus on learning new shorthand abbreviating devices. These devices will allow you to write more quickly than you have before. There are many word beginnings and endings covered in this lesson, most of which apply themselves to large
Lesson 9: Lesson 8 - The Home Stretch topicsLesson Eight will primarily cover the omission of certain words in phrases, two new groups of brief forms, four word beginnings and endings as well as more shorthand devices for compound words, numbers and special shorthand combinations. At this juncture
Lesson 10: Lesson 9 - The Final Shorthand Devices topicsOnce you have completed this lesson you will have covered all of the Gregg Shorthand devices there are. You have come very far and you are now at the final lesson. Keep practicing and continue to work on learning proper comma usage as well. In lesson nine
Lesson 11: Lesson 10 - Developing Your Skill; Practice Material and ReviewThis final Gregg Shorthand lesson will provide a review. Each review section will present you with a paragraph/business letter or two focused on the lesson in which the strokes were taught. For example, in the Lesson one review a paragraph of shorthand wi
|Course Title ||: ||Gregg Shorthand 101 |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||33894 |
|Course Type ||: ||How To |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
UniversalClass Staff Instructor
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $45.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
- "I was impressed with the instructor's knowledge of this subject and felt that she was available to answer questions. It was a pretty good experience and if the instructor offered a different course for learning Gregg shorthand, I would take it as well." -- Kari E.
- "As a refresher course I found the whole program very useful. The printed material was very helpful." -- Joyce F.
Other Related Classes in Business Communications
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures Most of us learned spelling and grammar in elementary school and brushed up on the rules occasionally in junior high or middle school. Once we entered high school, it was assumed we knew and remembered all of the essentials -- and slowly we discovered t...
- ABCs of English Grammar This self-paced online course will provide you with a review of the grammar and writing skills necessary when taking any high school or college test, or with your everyday work-related writing and correspondence. Divided up into 15 easy-to-understand le...
- Effective Communication 101 Communication influences all factors of your life. From daily interactions with strangers on the street to the way you present yourself in the board room, the way you communicate is a reflection of who you are and the way you establish relationships with...
- Time Management 101 Managing time effectively is fundamental to success. It also factors into achieving balance in our lives. Today, we're busier than ever--at work and at home. Having enough time for things that are important, things we want or need to do, or even to have ...
- Business Writing Basics We live in a world where communication is paramount to survival. In a work environment where communication is equated with the professionalism and efficiency of an individual, would you jeopardize your career because of bad writing? Do you want the embar...
- Punctuation and Grammar 101 Do you need a refresher course in basic punctuation and grammar? Is your business writing, school writing or personal writing a disaster and you're tired of stressing over mistakes? Improper grammar and punctuation is a sign for some people, right or w...
- Spelling 101 Do you use your Spell Check on your computer obsessively? Are you afraid to write anything without a dictionary or computer spelling program? Are you receiving low grades on schoolwork because of poor spelling? Are your business emails filled with emba...
- Writing Improvement 101 We know that effective writing will help students in their coursework but it's equally important to write well in the workplace. If a job interviewer is considering two qualified candidates, the candidate who can write well will have the edge. If you're ...
- Administrative Assistant Fundamentals Administrative Assistant Fundamentals A clueless boss gives you a wide-open field. Learn what's important to your boss, understand what your company is looking for and help the fool meet those expectations. ( John Hoover) Oh how times, and peop...
- Speed Reading 101 Speed reading provides you with the tools and information you need to improve not only the speed that you read, but your comprehension and concentration as well. Speed reading will also provide you with effective tools that you can use when you're in a p...
- How to Write a Grant Proposal Did you realize that you are most probably an experienced grant writer already? NO , you say, I've never written a grant in my life before -- but you have. Most people out there have asked somebody, at some time, for something in writing (one way ...
- Legal Secretary 101 The field of law for a secretary is one of the best positions to have in the world of office work. A good legal secretary will, quite frankly, never be out of work. It is a high paying job with many rewards and benefits. Salary ranges for legal secretari...
- Project Management 101 Have you ever been involved in a complex project that just did not go the way you wanted? Often failure is pre-ordained due to the approach to the project. The concept of project management exists because it helps assure completion of a project successfu...
- How to Improve Your Memory It's surprising how much of a memory is built around things unnoticed at the time. - Barbara Kingsolver, novelist Memory is one of the most basic and important functions of the human brain. In fact, without memory we can't learn. Most peo...
- Leadership and Supervision 101 The idea of leadership is one that seems to constantly change. What was once valued in a leader in past centuries, is no longer valued in our modern era. So then, how do we define leadership? And is leadership the same as supervision ? In this Lead...
- Memory and Concentration Techniques Memory, concentration, focus, communication, problem solving and relationships all interconnect and interact to give us the information we need to function properly in the everyday world. T his course will focus on these topics and explore how memory wo...
- PowerPoint 2007 The purpose of this course is to help you understand what PowerPoint 2007 can do for you, whether you are familiar with PowerPoint 2003 or new to the application altogether. One of the most noticeable changes is the new user interface called the Microsof...
- Basic Research Skills Basic Research Skills teaches you how to determine what you need to know when you need to know it. With all of the information readily available today, it's difficult to deciper good information from bad information. Instead of turning to an Internet se...
- Legal Terminology 101 Legal questions come up regularly in our daily lives and the language of law is everywhere. Legal Terminology 101 is a comprehensive guide to the language of the legal system. If you're planning on purchasing a house, involved in a landlord-tenant d...
- Interview Skills 101 Preparing for your job interview could very well be one of the most important moments of your career. Landing the perfect job can be a challenge, but with the determination and passion you will need to begin a successful career, you can easily overcome t...
- Resume Writing 101 One of the most important and intimidating steps in the job search process is writing a solid resume that gets the attention you want and need. Unfortunately, many job seekers get overwhelmed before they even get started. The result is poorly-written res...
- Microsoft Publisher 2007 Microsoft Publisher can be an amazing tool. It can help us complete impressive tasks in a fraction of the time, and help to accomplish things that we could never have done on our own. But you have to know how to use this program. This course will sho...
- How to Improve Your Concentration Concentration is a part of our daily lives. We concentrate on our work and our life situations, either consciously or subconsciously. Is focus the same as concentration, and if not why are the terms often used so interchangeably? Why can some of us re...
- Effective Presentations Speaking in front of a group of people is one of the most common fears people experience. In fact, it may be more feared than death...or even spiders . Yet being able to present ourselves, our companies, our ideas and products to others is one of the mos...
- Microsoft Project 2007 Microsoft Project 2007 is a project management software that helps project managers better structure, organize, and plan for all their projects. This includes budgets, tasks, resources, assignments, and everything in between. It can create critical pat...
- Virtual Assistant 101 Today's businesses, both new and established, are desperately in need of administrative type assistance at an affordable rate. They need versatility in the services performed and flexibility in the way the services are performed. If you have a career as ...
- General Secretary 101 If you've been thinking about becoming a secretary, you should know that times have changed. While the computer has replaced the typewriter, the secretary is still an important part of the office setting. In this General Secretary course, you will lear...
- Speed Writing 101 Speedwriting is for anyone out there who needs to write faster. You may be a student struggling frantically to make sense of the lectures that you attend, but your method of taking notes only seems to capture about one-third of the material that is prov...