| || || |
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
Do you need a refresher course in basic punctuation and grammar? Is your business writing, school writing or personal writing a disaster and you're tired of stressing over mistakes? Improper grammar and punctuation is a sign for some people, right or wrong, that you may be less educated or less intelligent.
Your writing reflects more about your personality than you realize: it reflects your attention to detail, your education and how you think. Even the most basic writing -- like thank-you notes and emails -- can be sabotaged by just one grammatical error. In the business world, this can give clients the impression that you aren't careful. If your work is as sloppy as your writing, you aren't the person they want to hire or promote.
This self-paced course will help you learn what you need to polish your grammar and punctuation skills. Punctuation and Grammar 101 is divided into two subjects which focus on grammar and punctuation topics. At the end of each lesson will be a brief quiz and/or assignment based on the lesson material. Your knowledgeable and caring instructor will review and grade all work and you can ask questions anytime.
Isn't it time to finally master the critical writing skills of grammar and punctuation?
So join us today. As always, you can attend this course at the times that fit your schedule. Our system requires no special software or hardware, so why not enroll today and become informed and inspired?
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
Your writing will suffer when you don't use all of the rules of grammar and punctuation properly and consistently. Punctuation in particular serves a very specific purpose -- it clarifies our thoughts and makes sense of the information we're conveying. The simple misplacement of a comma can completely change the meaning of a sentence. As a result, you could send the wrong message or be completely misunderstood.
Try reading a paragraph that has had all the punctuation removed and you'll soon realize just how crucial it is. Thoughts run up against each other; you aren't sure where one sentence or phrase begins and another one ends; chaos reigns in the thoughts you had organized so carefully!
Good grammar, punctuation and spelling also reflect on you personally. Consider a major term paper written by two students, one with poor grammar and another who is a stickler for the details. With the value and accuracy of the information being equal, any professor will grade the paper with poor grammar or spelling lower. Why? Because it's not only incorrect, it tells the professor that the writer didn't even bother to take the time to make sure his work was the best it could be. Reading a paper that is poorly organized and difficult to understand because of grammar mistakes is also very frustrating for the reader -- more time has to be spent on deciphering the intended meaning and less time is spent on appreciating it.
Even the most basic writing -- like thank-you notes and emails -- can be sabotaged by just one grammatical error. In the business world, this can give clients the impression that you aren't careful. What will they remember most about you? That if your work is as sloppy as your writing, they don't want to do business with you.
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define, recognize, and correctly use the subject and predicate.
- Define, recognize, and correctly use nouns and pronouns.
- Define, recognize, and correctly use verb tenses.
- Identify common irregular verbs.
- Define, recognize, and correctly use adjectives and adverbs.
- Define, recognize, and correctly use prepositions and prepositional phrases.
- Identify the clause.
- Define, recognize, and correctly use periods, commas, apostrophes, colons, semicolons, hyphens, question marks, and quotation marks, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1: Introduction to Grammar SectionIntroduction to this course. Grammar topics will be discussed in lessons 1-7.
Lesson 2: Subject and PredicateThis lesson defines what a subject and predicate is and when to use singular or plural verbs.
Lesson 3: Nouns and PronounsThis lesson defines nouns and the different forms of pronouns.
Lesson 4: Verb TensesThis lesson discusses the three main tenses of verbs and their sub-categories.
Lesson 5: Common Irregular VerbsThis is a list of some of the most common irregular verbs and their tenses.
Lesson 6: Adjectives and AdverbsThis lesson defines what adjectives and adverbs are and the different degrees of each.
Lesson 7: Prepositions & Prepositional PhrasesThis lesson gives examples of how prepositions are used and a list of the most common prepositions.
Lesson 8: The ClauseThis lesson defines clauses and the difference between a subordinate and an independent clause.
Lesson 9: Introduction to Punctuation SectionTopics on Punctuation will be displayed in lessons 9-15.
Lesson 10: Periods and Other End StopsThis lesson describes the different kinds of end stops (period, question mark, exclamation point) to put on a sentence and how and when to use periods in abbreviations.
Lesson 11: CommasThis lesson explains how and when to use commas and when to put them in clauses and phrases.
Lesson 12: ApostrophesThis lesson explains the proper use of apostrophes and how to make a word possessive, individual or joint.
Lesson 13: Colons and SemicolonsThis lesson describes how to properly use colons and semicolons in a sentence.
Lesson 14: HyphensThis lesson describes the proper use of hyphens in words.
Lesson 15: Quotation MarksThis lesson describes the correct usage of quotation marks for dialogue, quotations, and titles.
Lesson 16: Additional Writing ResourcesThis lesson has additional writing resources for your review.
|Course Title ||: ||Punctuation and Grammar 101 |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||7550404 |
|Course Type ||: ||General Education |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $45.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
Other Related Classes in English Composition
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures Most of us learned spelling and grammar in elementary school and brushed up on the rules occasionally in junior high or middle school. Once we entered high school, it was assumed we knew and remembered all of the essentials -- and slowly we discovered t...
- ABCs of English Grammar This self-paced online course will provide you with a review of the grammar and writing skills necessary when taking any high school or college test, or with your everyday work-related writing and correspondence. Divided up into 15 easy-to-understand le...
- ESL Basic Grammar and Writing This ESL basic grammar and writing course will provide an introduction to the basics of American English grammar and writing. We'll be covering the following topics in detail: - review the basic English structure in the form of nouns, verbs, prepositi...
- Enhance Your Everyday Vocabulary Have you ever been reading a newspaper or listening to a commentary and been confronted with a word you didn't know -- like for instance, plethora ? Over the years, you've seen and heard this word 20 times but you don't quite manage to remember the defi...
- Spelling 101 Do you use your Spell Check on your computer obsessively? Are you afraid to write anything without a dictionary or computer spelling program? Are you receiving low grades on schoolwork because of poor spelling? Are your business emails filled with emba...
- Writing Improvement 101 We know that effective writing will help students in their coursework but it's equally important to write well in the workplace. If a job interviewer is considering two qualified candidates, the candidate who can write well will have the edge. If you're ...
- Proofreading and Copyediting 101 Become a Skilled Proofreader or Copyeditor If you're looking for a new career path or if you're a writer who wants to improve your writing skills, learning how to proofread and copyedit with our easy to follow, in-depth course, may be just what you nee...
- Creative Writing Workshop Do you dream of writing poetry, short stories, or novels? Have you ever watched a movie or a play and felt the desire to write a script of your own? Or have you already done some writing but want to find ways to bring more creativity, more originality, t...
- Creative Writing 101 'Creative Writing 101' is an attempt to capture what cannot be held in hand or thought--the elusive riddle of human creativity as we find it in our writing. Here we look at various forms and genres (books, dramas and plays, poetry, essays, film-writing, ...
- Vocabulary Building Are you interested in building your vocabulary? Do you feel that your writing or your speaking vocabulary is below average? The purpose of Vocabulary Building is to beef up your everyday vocabulary with words that you could use in everyday conversation. ...
- Essay Writing 101 Essays are a vital part of writing, both in academic circles and in many professions. Being able to write good essays is a rare ability and those that can demonstrate a mastery of this writing form will quickly distinguish themselves from those who write...
- Speed Reading 101 Speed reading provides you with the tools and information you need to improve not only the speed that you read, but your comprehension and concentration as well. Speed reading will also provide you with effective tools that you can use when you're in a p...
- Poetry Writing 101 This poetry course is created for the lover of poetry who wants to learn how to appreciate the art even more. It is also for student poets who want to improve their craft. This course is thorough in teaching all students everything they need to know abo...
- English Composition 101 Acquiring and developing the fundamentals of English composition is a vital skill that can be used in a variety of settings and situations. Being able to competently compose an essay and organize a thesis is not only useful in academic environments, but ...
- Basic Research Skills Basic Research Skills teaches you how to determine what you need to know when you need to know it. With all of the information readily available today, it's difficult to deciper good information from bad information. Instead of turning to an Internet se...
- Resume Writing 101 One of the most important and intimidating steps in the job search process is writing a solid resume that gets the attention you want and need. Unfortunately, many job seekers get overwhelmed before they even get started. The result is poorly-written res...
- Humor Writing 101 Humor Writing There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you. (Will Rogers) Laughing- the salve of the soul. When we feel at our lowest sometimes the only thing that can turn our mood around and lift ...
- Book Editing 101 Writers are a unique breed. They spend their lives creating things that were, or never have been, and they hope to make enough money so that they can live comfortably while others read their work. To be a successful writer, one needs to do many things. ...
- Proofreading and Copyediting 201: Tips, Techniques, and Exercises We're excited to now provide an intermediate to advanced proofreading and copyediting course for students who have requested more in-depth information about these fields. This self-paced class is geared for those people with little or no experience in t...
- Historical Fiction Writing 101 Writing historical fiction is quite simply writing a story that is set in the past. You will do research to create a correct and realistic setting, based upon facts. Historical fiction can even include real people. You are writing fiction, but it is so ...
- Paranormal Romance Writing 101 Paranormal romance is all the rage lately. From books to movies, sexy vampires and gothic love stories are blazing up the bestseller lists and hitting the top of the box office. Paranormal romance falls under the umbrella term 'speculative fiction' whic...