| || || |
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
"Basic Research Skills" teaches you how to determine what you need to know when you need to know it. With all of the information readily available today, it's difficult to deciper good information from bad information. Instead of turning to an Internet search engine for all of your information, there are other sources that can help you learn what you need to learn – quickly and accurately. This course will cover library use, the Dewey Decimal System, dictionary use, thesaurus use, encyclopedias, Internet search engines, Internet news resources, Internet publications, journals, and bibliographies.
With this information, you can research any topic, no matter the purpose or the goal. Instead of simply looking in one place for the answer you need, why not learn how to use all of the tools available? The more you know, the more you can use this information in your everyday life.
"Basic Research Skills" includes real life strategies to help you learn where you need to look for information and how you can be certain the information is accurate.
Each of the 11 lessons include 5 True and False questions and 5 multiple choice questions at the end of each section. These questions are designed to ensure you retain the main concepts before you move onto a new lesson. In each lesson, you will learn what the selected research skill is, how to use it, and other tips as to how to improve your researching abilities.
With "Basic Research Skills," you will be able to find information in a variety of ways, ensuring no question goes unanswered.
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: Why Research Is ImportantThough the Internet is a valuable tool, it is not the only research skill a person needs in order to find the facts.
Lesson 2: Library UseThough it might sound strange, many people have forgotten about using the library.
Lesson 3: Dewey Decimal SystemOrganizing reference books is difficult when there is no system. While some people might prefer books to be organized by authors, when you are organizing reference books.
Lesson 4: A DictionaryMany people may not think about a dictionary as being a reference book, but it can help you begin to understand not only the words you might not know, but also how they can be used in a paper, project, or article.
Lesson 5: A ThesaurusLike a dictionary, a thesaurus can help you to expand the way that you discuss your topic. A thesaurus contains groupings of words that are collected in terms of their meaning.
Lesson 6: Encyclopedias, Almanacs, and AtlasesBefore the time of the Internet, there were other ways one could research specific topics.
Lesson 7: Internet Search EnginesThe Internet is often the first place many people go when they need to do research.
Lesson 8: Internet News SourcesWhen you get online in the morning, one of the first things you might do is go onto a news site to find out what has happened in the world.
Lesson 9: Internet Magazines, Blogs, and ImagesResearch is not always about gathering facts. Sometimes you need to do research in order to formulate an opinion about a topic.
Lesson 10: Journals, Papers, and MoreWhen researching academic topics, it can help to look at journals, papers, and other academic publications.
Lesson 11: BibliographiesWhen someone else has already done research on a topic, it makes sense that the person keeps track of what they used.
|Course Title ||: ||Basic Research Skills |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||7550472 |
|Course Type ||: ||General Education |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $30.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
Other Related Classes in Library Science
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures Most of us learned spelling and grammar in elementary school and brushed up on the rules occasionally in junior high or middle school. Once we entered high school, it was assumed we knew and remembered all of the essentials -- and slowly we discovered t...
- Computer Basics 101 Do you find yourself intimidated by computer jargon? Would you like to have a clearer understanding (in non-jargon language) of how your computer works? Computer Basics 101 will both demonstrate and explain how your computer works in an easy-to-follow, ...
- Basic Math 101 Fear fractions no more. And learn whether to add first or multiply first in a string of operations. Whether you are struggling with basic math functions in a course today, you are taking a new job that demands understanding of math, or you simply need to...
- Time Management 101 Managing time effectively is fundamental to success. It also factors into achieving balance in our lives. Today, we're busier than ever--at work and at home. Having enough time for things that are important, things we want or need to do, or even to have ...
- Spelling 101 Do you use your Spell Check on your computer obsessively? Are you afraid to write anything without a dictionary or computer spelling program? Are you receiving low grades on schoolwork because of poor spelling? Are your business emails filled with emba...
- Basic Parenting 101 Good parenting skills are something we learn, not something we are born with. Being a more effective parent or caretaker is possible for everyone! This course can help you get your parenting skills to where you want them to be. It covers a broad rang...
- ESL Basic Writing Skills Communication is vital in today's society. It is not enough to merely be able to speak and understand spoken English. In the United States, writing English is often a necessary skill in many job industries and fields. In order to develop practical writin...
- American History Review This American History Review course invites you to explore the history of this remarkable nation. We'll discuss its early Native American roots and colonist settlements; the forging of a new national identity, free of the chains of imperialism; the estab...
- Basic Research Skills Basic Research Skills teaches you how to determine what you need to know when you need to know it. With all of the information readily available today, it's difficult to deciper good information from bad information. Instead of turning to an Internet se...
- Social Media 101 (Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin) The manner in which we all communicate has been revolutionized by the Internet with the advent of social networking and social media platforms. Millions of people communicate with each other in today's environment via text, email, instant messaging, soci...
- Internet Fundamentals 101 Are you in the dark about how the Internet works? Do you wonder how in the world it is possible to communicate with someone on another continent in the blink of an eye? This straightforward course clearly and plainly lays out the basics of the Internet i...
- Career Coaching 101 With the job market becoming seemingly impossible to crack, career coaches are more important than ever. This online course will teach students the basic of career coaching, including the definition of career coaching, the ethics, how to find clients...
- Twenty Women Who Changed American History When the first European settlers arrived to stake their claim in America, they brought with them their philosophies, their religious beliefs, and their women. And over the course of nearly four centuries, many strong, even fearless women have risked thei...
- American Heroes and Villains Just as there have been famous and infamous personalities that have arisen on the world stage throughout the ages, America has had its share of notable personalities--ranging from the very good to the very, very bad. While not always at the forefront of...