Online Class: Meditation 101 — Learn How to Meditate
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this course
Meditation Mastery: A Comprehensive Journey into Awareness
Meditation, a revered practice with origins stretching back millennia, serves as a gateway to profound awareness, enriched introspection, and unparalleled relaxation. While historically linked with spiritual pursuits, this disciplined focus on diverse elements—whether an object, sound, movement, or merely the essence of attention—transcends religious bounds. Its universal appeal emerges from its intrinsic ability to foster a deeper connection with the self and the present moment.
This course, Meditation Mastery, delves deep into the multifaceted realm of meditation, offering participants an enriching exploration of various meditation techniques. From the classic sitting posture to the dynamic realm of yoga, the aim is to immerse the student into the very heart of these practices. Fundamental to this journey is the cultivation of acute awareness—of one's thoughts, environment, bodily movements, and crucially, the rhythm of one's breath. This isn't about strict mental control or letting go entirely; it's about striking that delicate balance, where one is fully immersed in the 'now,' attuned to every nuance of the self and the surroundings.
The cornerstone of meditation is comfort and tranquility. As participants traverse through diverse meditation techniques, they are encouraged to identify those methods that resonate most with them. A pivotal aspect of this journey is the shedding of pre-existing biases or notions about meditation. With an open heart and mind, students are positioned best to absorb the art and science of meditation.
- Lesson 1: What is Meditation?
- Dive into the foundational concepts of meditation. Understand its origins, core principles, and relevance in today's world.
- Lesson 2: Why Meditate?
- Explore the manifold benefits, both psychological and physiological, that can be reaped from regular meditation. Delve into recent scientific studies that underscore its transformative effects.
- Lesson 3: Proper Physical Space for Meditation
- Understand the significance of cultivating the right environment for meditation. From the aesthetics of the room to the ambiance, every detail plays a pivotal role in enhancing the experience.
- Lesson 4: Mindfulness of Breathing
- Dive deep into the art of breath control and understand its pivotal role in meditation. Discover techniques to harness the power of breath to deepen meditation experiences.
- Lesson 5: Proper Meditation Postures
- A hands-on exploration of the various postures in meditation. From sitting to standing, understand the biomechanics and the energy dynamics of each.
- Lesson 6: Health Benefits of Meditation
- Delve into the therapeutic advantages of meditation, backed by current scientific research. Explore its impact on stress reduction, cognitive enhancement, emotional regulation, and more.
- Lesson 7: History of Meditation
- Embark on a temporal journey tracing the roots and evolution of meditation across cultures and eras.
- Lesson 8: Meditation and Religion
- Analyze the interplay between meditation and various world religions. Understand its role in religious rituals, practices, and spiritual quests.
- Lesson 9: Path to Enlightenment
- Explore the philosophical underpinnings of meditation and its association with enlightenment, self-realization, and spiritual awakening.
- Lesson 10: Meditation Techniques
- A comprehensive guide to diverse meditation techniques practiced worldwide, helping students find the method that resonates most with them.
- Lesson 11: Meditation and Yoga
- Delve into the symbiotic relationship between meditation and yoga. Understand how they complement each other in holistic well-being.
- Lesson 12: Daily and Weekly Meditation: Morning Pages and Artist's Dates
- Integrate meditation into daily and weekly routines. Explore innovative approaches to cultivate mindfulness, creativity, and rejuvenation.
Embarking on this course is akin to embarking on a voyage into the very core of one's being. Whether a novice or seasoned practitioner, there's a wealth of knowledge and experience awaiting every student in this transformative journey into the realm of meditation.
When many people think of meditation, they conjure up images of a Buddha-like person sitting in a lotus position surrounded by tranquil music and burning incense. While this familiar image is indeed how many people practice Meditation, it is certainly not the only way.
Meditation is, first and foremost, about being comfortable and at peace. As we explore several techniques of practicing meditation, you may pick and choose the practices that make you feel comfortable. It is important to leave your preconceived notions of meditation behind you, keep an open mind, and be willing to learn the art of meditation.
Meditation is not a practice of achieving ecstasy, nor is it an attempt to be a "better person." It is simply creating an environment in which we are able to reach a level of self-awareness that we are unable to do in our usual environment. It is the creation of a space in which you meet your fears and insecurities, and your hopes and dreams. It is the creation of a space in which you ask deep questions and, sometimes, receive answers. It is the process of both analyzing your thoughts and clearing your mind.
Before we explore the techniques of meditation practices in detail, we will first ensure that we set up the proper environment for our daily meditation. We are naturally influenced by the physical space around us, and creating surroundings filled with beauty, simplicity, and tranquility will aid you in achieving an effective meditation. The physical space we create for meditation does not need to be elaborate. In fact, simplicity is an extremely important and fundamental concept in meditation.
Establishing a routine whereby you practice in the same place and at the same time is recommended for meditation. You should commit yourself to meditate regularly and to adopt a routine. The daily commitment you make to meditation will aid you considerably in achieving a greater sense of harmony and self-awareness. This course will show you how to carve out time from your daily schedule even if you think you don't have the time or the privacy.
Many people who have a casual interest in meditation know that controlling one's breath is important in meditation. In fact, being mindful of one's breath is one of the most fundamental principles of meditation. An entire section of this course is dedicated to this topic due to its importance and prominence. In the section called Mindfulness of Breathing, we will explore the importance of calming the mind and opening ourselves up to the possibility of achieving a higher level of self-awareness and consciousness.
We will explore the two main types of meditation and how to effectively meditation in each of the two distinct styles:
Samadhi Meditation – Concentration Meditation, where one concentrates on a single object voluntarily and effortlessly for a period of time. In traditional Buddhist meditation, there are over 40 objects of meditation, such as earth, water, fire, etc., and breath is clearly one of the most popular objects of meditation among most practitioners.
Vipassana Meditation – Insight meditation, where one contemplates a situation or a thought, and analyzes one's observations and experience.
Whereas Vipassana meditation is about analysis, thinking, and contemplation, Samadhi meditation is simply calming the mind and concentrating on a single object.
Health Benefits of Meditation
We will dedicate an entire chapter to the health benefits of meditation. Whereas it used to be practiced in Western culture by just a small portion of the population, today meditation is earning acceptance as a beneficial physical program. In countless medical journals, scientists have demonstrated their findings that meditation leads to better overall health and we will explore the specific ways in which it does, from the lowering of cholesterol and blood pressure, to the increase in self-esteem and well being.
Meditation has been practiced for thousands of years. Archeological finds from prehistoric times, especially Indian texts, contain references to many different forms of meditation. Tantras, or Indian scriptures, dating as far back as 5000 years ago, mention various techniques of meditation. Although its origins are deeply rooted in religious beliefs, meditation is not a religious practice. It is practiced by millions of non-religious people everyday who extol its countless health benefits.
Meditation was born in the Eastern culture. It was originally derived from Hinduism during the Vedic period, which extended from approximately 2,000 BCE to 600 BCE. Meditation was initially used by the Hindus as a way of discerning the true nature of God, or Brahman.
In approximately 500 BCE, the Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama, taught meditation to his many followers, and in doing so showed how meditation can assist in the Path to Enlightenment. In this course, we will explore what it means to be on the Path to Enlightenment, and how meditation can, and is, used to attain what the Buddha called a state of "Nirvana."
As we will discover, meditation does not simply involve sitting down and remaining perfectly still. Although sitting meditation is a method that is used by many people, millions of practitioners incorporate yoga into their meditation practices. In this course, we will explore a basic introduction to yoga and how it helps to achieve a deeper sense of concentration.
During the yoga poses you will learn in this course, you will practice breathing while doing a variety of poses meant to increase flexibility, strength, balance, and overall tranquility.
Yoga is a practice for the whole body. While it most certainly has many physical benefits like strength and flexibility, it nourishes your spirit as well. You will feel refreshed and relaxed after even your first few yoga sessions, and it is an excellent method to practice meditation.
Meditation is an art that has been practiced and refined for centuries. From the Supreme Buddha to the simple community gathering down the street, it has been a source of self discovery and enlightenment for all types of people. The answers you seek, or the relaxation you need, await you as you begin your practice of daily meditation.
- Completely Online
- Printable Lessons
- Full HD Video
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
- Accredited CEUs
Lesson 1: What is Meditation?
Lesson 2: Why Meditate?
Lesson 3: Proper Physical Space for Meditation
Lesson 4: Mindfulness of Breathing
Lesson 5: Proper Meditation Postures
Lesson 6: Health Benefits of Meditation
Lesson 7: History of Meditation
Lesson 8: Meditation and Religion
Lesson 9: Path to Enlightenment
Lesson 10: Meditation Techniques
Lesson 11: Meditation and Yoga
Lesson 12: Daily and Weekly Meditation: Morning Pages and Artist's Dates
- Define meditation and recognize its benefits.
- Define proper physical space for meditation.
- Demonstrate mindfulness of breathing.
- Demonstrate proper meditation postures.
- Describe health benefits of meditation.
- Summarize history of meditation.
- Summarize meditation and religion.
- Describe path to enlightenment.
- Demonstrate meditation techniques.
- Summarize meditation and yoga.
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Choose Your Subscription Plan
No Certificate / No CEUs
This course only
|Time to complete
|No. of courses
Certificate & CEUs
This course only
|Time to complete
|No. of courses
Certificates & CEUs
Includes all 600+ courses
|Time to complete
|No. of courses
Certificates & CEUs
Includes all 600+ courses
|Time to complete
|No. of courses
- "I really appreciated the teachings of Meditation 101, and the feedback I received from my instructor. This course provided the perfect introduction to the history of, and practical application of, Meditation, helping me fully understand why so many people recommend this practice in our daily lives, but also to unveil the secrets of spiritual peace, mindfulness, confidence, and good health and well-being (to name a few) that this wonderful art can bring to a person. I really enjoyed everything I learned, and I really needed it in my life. Thank you!" -- Sarah J.
- "I have recommended the course to a friend and also a local workshop I attend. I am spreading the word how much I enjoyed and the help I got from this course." -- Nicola C.
- "This has been a great introduction to Meditation and I found the course material relevant and easy to understand. The instructor was prompt and always provided feedback and encouragement. I will definitely recommend this course to anyone who is interested in getting started on learning to Meditate." -- Zoripha K.
- "I think the instructor was great, and really knowledgeable. Great class!" -- Jens P.
- "I found the explanation of the different poses helpful. Even though this course took longer than the other ones I think it was very beneficial for the assignments to try different aspects for a few days, unlike some classes where you just spit the material right back." -- Megan P.
- "I enjoyed learning about Mindfulness of Breathing and the history of Meditation. Also, the chapter on Meditation postures. I have long been in interested in Meditation and this class forced me to learn how to practice Meditation and make it a part of my daily life. I also loved the last chapter that covered using the technique Morning Pages from the book The Artist's Way. I have been using this technique and find that it is helping to open my mind." -- Susan P.
- "I find all aspects of the course helpful as this was the first time doing a study in meditation. It was very enlightening and provided me with some of the tools necessary along the road of self improvement. I have only good to say about the instructor. He was prompt in grading my lesson and provided valuable comments when needed. I find him to available at all times which I think is excellent. I would not hesitate to do other courses with him." -- Joan M.
- "Instructor is really expert in his field and goes a long way in making you feel like you're really there taking the class and not in a virtual classroom. I came to a better understanding of what the practice of meditation was about and left the class able to meditate." -- Jill A.
- "I liked the simplicity but quality of this course. The instructor is expert and available." -- Ineke D.
- "I needed a means to try to relax, lower my blood pressure, this course helped me do that." -- Robert C.
- 34 hours 3.4 CEUs Reiki Ultimate 5 Course Bundle: Reiki Levels 1-5 + More Info
- 54 hours 5.4 CEUs Become a Life Coach - Course Bundle + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs All About Herbs + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Reiki Level 2 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Conflict Resolution Techniques + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Aging and Long Term Care 101 + More Info
- 4 hours 0.4 CEUs Self-Hypnosis Level 1 + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Tarot Cards Level 1 + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Anxiety Therapy 101 + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Chakras Level 2 + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs HIV: Prevention, Diagnosis, Treatment + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Critical Thinking + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs How to Run a Dog Day Care + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Auras: Viewing, Identifying, and Understanding + More Info
- 14 hours 1.4 CEUs Weight Training 101 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs How to Be Your Own Life Coach + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Anti Aging Techniques + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Innovative Thinking + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Chakras Level 3 + More Info
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Assertiveness Training + More Info
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Reiki Level 4 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Homeopathy 101 + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs End of Life Care + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Healing Affirmations + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Reiki Level 1 + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Child Safety for Parents + More Info
- 15 hours 1.5 CEUs Sociology 101 + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Reiki Level 5 + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Creative Thinking + More Info
- 17 hours 1.7 CEUs ICD-10: Medical Coding + More Info
- 15 hours 1.5 CEUs Life Coaching 101 + More Info
- 14 hours 1.4 CEUs Career Coaching + More Info
- 4 hours 0.4 CEUs Diabetes 101 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Understanding Learning Styles + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Alzheimer's Disease 101 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Lifetime Wellness 101 + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Introduction to Abnormal Psychology + More Info
- 12 hours 1.2 CEUs Life Coaching Level 1 + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Angel Healing + More Info