with CEU Certificate
A pair of hands on the keyboard, a blank screen, and a single wish: You want to write the Great American Short Story! You've read many of them -- Poe's "Black Cat," Cheever's "Enormous Radio," Welty's "The Worn Path" -- but have you come close to writing a tale that lingers with readers after the last page is turned?
In this class, you will gain the inspiration and the discipline to write a short story of 1000 to 8000 words. We will use examples from all genres, exploring the techniques of plot, style, flow, voice and tone that will make your fiction sing. This close reading of master works is accompanied by tried and true methods for putting words on the page, revising, and handling criticism from others. One thing's for sure: Your stories are ready to tell themselves to you. And, if all goes well enough, they'll tell themselves to the world as well. So, are you ready to start writing?
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: The Short Story Landscape in AmericaWho reads short stories in America? Who writes them? Who will read your story?
Lesson 2: Answering to the MuseBefore you can begin writing a story, you need to know what story you will write. In this lesson, we'll consider how a short story is born.
Lesson 3: Developing a Main CharacterWho is your hero, and why? The hero or heroine of your story is the person the reader must become as the story progresses.
Lesson 4: Telling the Story: Structure & PlotIn this lesson, we're focusing on plot, story structure, narrative -- whatever you choose to call the act of telling the story.
Lesson 5: Styling the Words You WriteIn fiction writing, differences in style and language distinguish writers from each other.
Lesson 6: End Your Story Like a MasterBrilliant conclusions are definitely possible.
Lesson 7: Revising Your WritingHow long is your work a work-in-progress?
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Summarize the short story landscape in America.
- Describe developing a main character.
- Summarize telling the story.
- Describe styling the words you write.
- Summarize ending your story like a master.
- Revise and edit the story, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Assignment 1A: Class Forum Postings||Assignment||5|
|The Short Story Landscape||Exam||10|
|Assignment 2: Write the First Page of Your Story||Assignment||10|
|Answering to the Muse||Exam||10|
|Assignment 3: Character Profile Worksheet||Assignment||5|
|Developing a Main Character||Exam||10|
|Telling the Story: Structure & Plot||Exam||9|
|Styling the Words You Write||Exam||10|
|Assignment 4: Finish Your Short Story||Assignment||30|
|End Your Story Like a Master||Exam||10|
|Revising Your Writing||Exam||10|
- Greek Mythology$60.000.7 CEUs
- American Literature Review$60.000.7 CEUs
- ESL Grammar Skills Level 1$55.001.0 CEUs
- Creative Writing for Beginners$65.001.0 CEUs
- Writing Women's Fiction 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- ABCs of English Grammar$65.001.5 CEUs
- Proofreading and Copyediting 101$75.001.2 CEUs
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures$90.002.9 CEUs
- ESL Basic Grammar and Writing$90.002.0 CEUs
- Resume Writing 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Philosophy 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Historical Fiction Writing 101$65.002.3 CEUs
- Paranormal Romance Writing 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Reading Comprehension 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Basic English Speaking Skills$65.001.0 CEUs
- Novel Writing 101$65.002.2 CEUs
- Writing Improvement 101$90.001.3 CEUs
- Poetry Writing 101$60.001.7 CEUs
- Essay Writing 101$65.001.1 CEUs
- Creative Writing Workshop$65.001.3 CEUs
- Basic Research Skills$55.001.0 CEUs
- How to Write a Grant Proposal$75.001.5 CEUs
- Creative Writing 101$65.001.9 CEUs
- How to Write Short Stories for Children 101$60.001.1 CEUs
- How to Write a Short Story 101$60.001.1 CEUs
- Freelance Writing 101$65.001.2 CEUs
- Screenwriting 101$65.001.5 CEUs
- Mystery Writing 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Romance Writing 101$70.001.2 CEUs
- Nonfiction Writing 101$65.001.2 CEUs
- Travel Writing 101$70.001.0 CEUs
- Humor Writing 101$60.001.1 CEUs