Online Class: Geography 101
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this courseLoading...
Course DescriptionAre you mystified by maps? Would you like to know how mountains are made? You can find out the answers to these questions by taking our Geography Course. In eleven easy lessons, you'll learn all about the different geographical features that make up our planet. You'll learn to distinguish islands from atolls and peninsulas. You'll learn how the huge tectonic plates interact to create mountains and valleys and how wind and water shape our world. You'll also learn about the way people, plants, and animals have changed the world.
This course covers the way humans create order by drawing maps and creating areas that we can recognize. You'll learn how mapmakers divided the oceans and why. The lessons will touch on how culture and experience influence the way people map the world.In addition you will learn the natural processes that create specific landforms. The various spheres of the planet, the lithosphere, the atmosphere, the hydrosphere, and the biosphere are defined and examined in detail. You'll learn how these different layers of Earth interact to shape the patterns of the planet.
Once you have finished this course, you'll find yourself looking at the world with a whole new perspective!
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: What is Geography?Geography is the study of our planet's surface. In this lesson we will discuss the scientific theories about how the Earth formed.
Lesson 2: Oceans, Rivers, and LakesMost of the Earth's surface is covered with water.
Lesson 3: Continents and IslandsWhile most of our planet is covered with water, continents and islands are landforms.
Lesson 4: Mountains and ValleysThis lesson will describe how mountains and valley are formed.
Lesson 5: How the Wind Affects LandformsWind affects all landforms differently depending on climate and terrain.
Lesson 6: How Water Affects LandformsIn this lesson, we will talk about the effects of water on geographic landforms.
Lesson 7: Plate TectonicsTectonic plates float around the surface of the Earth's mantle.
Lesson 8: The Effect of Plants and Animals on LandformsIn this lesson we will discuss the impact of animals and plants on landforms.
Lesson 9: How People Affect the Geography of the PlanetEver since people began to farm the land and create permanent homes, humans have made very striking changes to the landscape.
Lesson 10: How People Divide the PlanetPeople divide the earth in many ways including latitude and longitude, continents, countries and states.
Lesson 11: Using a MapUnless you are using a GPS in your car, a map can give you directions and the mileage to your destination.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Geography 101Course Number: 7550429Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: General EducationCEU Value: 1.1 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: geography101.onlineclasses.comInstructor: April GravesSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $50.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $75.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define geography.
- Describe oceans, rivers, and lakes.
- Describe continents and islands.
- Describe mountains and valleys.
- Describe how the wind affects landforms.
- Describe how water affects landforms.
- Summarize plate tectonics.
- Describe the effect of plants and animals on landforms.
- How People Affect the Geography of the Planet
- Describe how people divide the planet.
- Describe using a map, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
An Introduction Assignment 5 Lesson 1, Assignment One Assignment 20 Lesson 1 Exam:What is Geography? Exam 90 Lesson 2, Assignment One Assignment 30 Lesson 2 Exam:Oceans, Rivers, and Lakes Exam 100 Lesson 3, Assignment One Assignment 40 Lesson 3 Exam:Continents and Islands Exam 90 Lesson 4, Assignment One Assignment 30 Lesson 4 Exam:Mountains and Valleys Exam 90 Lesson 5, Assignment One Assignment 40 Lesson 5 Exam:How the Wind Affects Landforms Exam 100 Lesson 6, Assignment One Assignment 40 Lesson 6 Exam:How Water Affects Landforms Exam 100 Lesson 7, Assignment One Assignment 40 Lesson 7 Exam: Plate Tectonics Exam 100 Lesson 8, Assignment One Assignment 30 Lesson 8 Exam: The Effect of Plants and Animals on Landforms Exam 100 Lesson 9, Assignment One Assignment 40 Lesson 9 Exam: How People Affect the Geography of the Planet Exam 100 Lesson 10, Assignment One Assignment 30 Lesson 10 Exam: How People Divide the Planet Exam 70 Lesson 11, Assignment One Assignment 20 Lesson 11 Exam: Using a Map Exam 80 The Final Exam Exam 490 Total Points: 1875
- "The video at the end of the lesson was a very helpful tool." -- Grace L.
- "This was the first real online course I had ever taken, and it was an excellent experience. The advantage of being able to learn from home, as opposed to having to go to a certain place and classroom for a set meeting time, truly paid off. I would strongly recommend online classes for those people who spend most of their day working and can't always attend a place of instruction and need to be able to learn in their spare time." -- Jeff N.
- "The instructor has always been very encouraging to me without being critical when I fell short of the mark." -- Ruby T.
- "Everything was GREAT." -- Thomas E.
- "The instructor was very good!" -- Jewel B.
- "My instructor was very supportive and responded in a timely manner. She met my pace. What was most helpful was the text, reference material, and feedback." -- Nina F.