with CEU Certificate*
From the laboratory to the real world, cell and molecular biology has a far-ranging impact upon everything from the environment to health and medical issues. Cell and molecular biology enables researchers to study the minute world of microbes and cells.
This course will provide a full overview of the world of cell and microbiology. We will first provide the basic components comprised within all living things before moving onto to how organisms' internal systems work and how they coexist and contend with external elements.
Further on in the course, we touch upon more complex subjects such as: DNA and RNA; protein structures; and movement along cellular pathways. And, alas we delve into some of the deeper molecular biological issues, including those of pathogens; formation of cancerous cells; and, one of today's hot topics--the facts behind the controversial issue of stem cell research.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1 : Understanding Cell and Molecular Biology and its HistoryLesson 1 : This lesson covers the benefits of understanding cellular and molecular biology.
Lesson 2 : Cellular Functioning & CompositionLesson 2 : In depth explanations regarding the basic functions of cells and their composition.
Lesson 3 : Chemical FoundationsLesson 3 : This lesson covers the basics regarding the chemical makeup of cell structures, including enzymes and biosynthesis.
Lesson 4 : DNA PropertiesLesson 4 explains DNA and RNA structure and design and function.
Lesson 5 : Protein Structure and FunctionLesson 5 will cover the structure and function of proteins such as growth, differentiation, and immunity protection.
Lesson 6 : Regulation of Protein Levels and ActivityLesson 6 covers the topics of repressors and activators, genetic control and enzyme regulation.
Lesson 7 : Cellular Membrane Structure and FunctionLesson 7 will introduce students to the basics of how cells are structured and the functions of each component.
Lesson 8 : Basic Molecular Genetic MechanismsLesson 8 covers the basics of genetic mechanisms found in molecules, such as forward and reverse genetics and genome analysis.
Lesson 9 : Cell Birth, Lineage and DeathLesson 9 offers students a basic introduction to the cell lifecycle, starting at birth and ending with death.
Lesson 10 : Cell Cycle and Checkpoints in Cell Cycle RegulationLesson 10 explains in easy to understand terms the processes of mitosis and RNA splicing and editing.
Lesson 11 : Signaling at the Cell SurfaceLesson 11 introduces students of microbiology to the concepts of cell receptors as well as the difference between an agonist and an antagonist.
Lesson 12 : Signaling Pathways that Control Gene ActivityLesson 12 introduces the concept of how cells control signal pathways that control the activity of genes and gene development.
Lesson 13 : Transport of Ions and Small Molecules across Cell MembranesLesson 13 explains how molecules and ions are transported between cells and offers exploration of different types of cell transport for basic cellular function.
Lesson 14 : Protein SolubilityLesson 14 provides information regarding protein structure and behaviors as well as how proteins travel from and to cells.
Lesson 15 : EpitheliumLesson 15 offers students basic information regarding these building blocks of all organs and tissues found in the human body.
Lesson 16 : CancerLesson 16 offers a brief introduction to the topic of cancer including what defines cancer, the different types of cancer, and how cancer genes mutate.
Lesson 17 : Cancer Part TwoLesson 17 continues the discussion of cancer, how it differentiates, and how cancer is graded and classified according to its origin and spread.
Lesson 18 : PathogensLesson 18 provides a brief discussion regarding pathogens, different types, and how they spread.
Lesson 19 : BioinformaticsLesson 19 explores the field of bioinformatics and how these multiple disciplinary studies combine to offer new resources for research and study in this growing field.
Lesson 20 : Stem Cell ResearchLesson 20 provides basic information and content regarding stem cells, their capabilities, and research being conducted today.
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Summarize cell and molecular biology history.
- Summarize cellular functioning and composition.
- Describe the chemical foundations of cell biology.
- Summarize the DNA properties of cell biology.
- Describe protein structure and function.
- Describe cellular membrane structure and function.
- Describe basic molecular genetic mechanisms.
- Summarize the Cell Cycle
- Describe the signaling pathways that control gene activity.
- Summarize the transport of ions and small molecules across cell membranes.
- Define protein solubility.
- Describe the Epithelium.
- Describe the cell microbiology processes of cancer.
- Describe pathogens, bioinformatics, and stem cell research, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 1 : Understanding Cell and Molecular Biology and its History||Exam||8|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 2 : Cellular Functioning & Composition||Exam||10|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 3 : Chemical Foundations||Exam||10|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 4 : DNA Properties||Exam||9|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 5 : Protein Structure and Function||Exam||9|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 6 : Regulation of Protein Levels and Activity||Exam||8|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 7 :Cellular Membrane Structure and Function||Exam||9|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 8 : Basic Molecular Genetic Mechanisms||Exam||9|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||30|
|Quiz for Lesson 9 : Cell Birth, Lineage and Death||Exam||10|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 10 :Cell Cycle and Checkpoints in Cell Cycle Regulation||Exam||10|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 11 : Signaling at the Cell Surface||Exam||10|
|Lesson 12 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 12 : Signaling Pathways that Control Gene Activity||Exam||9|
|Lesson 13 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 13 : Transport of Ions and Small Molecules across Cell Membranes||Exam||10|
|Lesson 14 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 14 : Protein Solubility||Exam||9|
|Lesson 15 Assignment||Assignment||30|
|Quiz for Lesson 15 : Epitheliums||Exam||10|
|Lesson 16 Assignment||Assignment||30|
|Quiz for Lesson 16 : Cancer||Exam||10|
|Lesson 17 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 17 : Cancer Part Two||Exam||10|
|Lesson 18 Assignment||Assignment||30|
|Quiz for Lesson 18 : Pathogens||Exam||9|
|Lesson 19 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 19 : Bioinformatics||Exam||8|
|Lesson 20 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 20 : Stem Cell Research||Exam||10|
|The Final Exam||Exam||79|
- Biology 101$95.003.5 CEUs
- Physics 101: Beginner to Intermediate Concepts$110.002.4 CEUs
- Microbiology 101$110.003.0 CEUs
- Anatomy and Physiology 101$90.002.1 CEUs
- Organic Chemistry 101$105.002.5 CEUs
- Medical Terminology 101$75.001.8 CEUs
- Medical Terminology 201$80.001.7 CEUs
- Comprehensive Medical Terminology 1 & 2$115.003.3 CEUs
- Geology 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Chemistry 101$95.002.0 CEUs
- Introduction to Cell and Molecular Biology$95.001.8 CEUs
- Astronomy 101$60.000.9 CEUs
- Meteorology Fundamentals$60.001.1 CEUs
- Geography 101$60.001.1 CEUs