Online Class: Astronomy 101
- OR -
with CEU Certificate*
with CEU Certificate*
Start Right Now!
Taking multiple courses? Save with our platinum program.
0Studentshave taken this course
Astronomy Course Description
The universe is comprised of infinite space both on Earth and beyond.
It is quite illuminating to discover the expansiveness that can be found by studying the night skies and not only learning about the array of celestial objects that exist but also understanding the reasons behind certain formations and intergalactic activities.
In this course we're going to explore our night sky, constellations, our solar system, our galaxy, and what lies beyond the far reaches of space. In addition, we'll learn about past and current projects for space exploration, as well as future ideas for space travel.
Our journey will also take us to black holes, quasars, supernovaes, brown dwarfs, and the string theory. And Lastly, we'll explore in depth on how we make observations from earth, and touch on the mechanics of optical telescopes that aid us in exploring the night sky.
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible."
- Albert Einstein
- Albert Einstein
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
Request More Information
Have a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Astronomical Course Lessons
Lesson 1: Cosmic ViewThe universe is comprised of infinite space both on Earth and beyond. In this lesson, we'll explore the cosmic view, star variances, and the Hertzsprung-Russel Diagram.
Lesson 2: ConstellationsIn this lesson we'll explore measurements used to find the location of stars (celestial coordinates), and the constellations: Pegasus, Andromeda, Perseus, Hercules, Lyra, Sagittarius, Taurus, Gemini, Lepus, Canis Major, Canis Minor, Capricornus, Leo, and
Lesson 3: Exploring the Solar SystemNot only children as they lay awake at night, but many grown people in an attempt to understand and take in the breadth of celestial bodies that makeup the universe, have also invested inordinate amounts of time studying and reading about the solar system
Lesson 4: Planets and MoonsLet's explore our planets and moons in this solar system: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto.
Lesson 5: Space Exploration - The Final FrontierThe Final Frontier
Lesson 6: Future Plans for Space ExplorationThe Final Frontier
Lesson 7: Exploring Beyond the Solar System - Black HolesWhile we have utilized both of the words astronomy and cosmology, we have yet to fully define the latter of the two.
Lesson 8: Quasars, Supernovae, Brown Dwarfs, String TheoryWhile we have utilized both words, astronomy and cosmology, we have yet to fully define the latter of the two.
Lesson 9: Observation Made SimpleWe began our discussion of astronomy by outlining the basics tenets of star gazing. In Lesson One we provided information regarding the types of stars and constellations you may hope to see dependent upon the season in which you are viewing.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Course Title: Astronomy 101
Course Number: 7550424
Languages: English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries
Course Type: High School Level
CEU Value: 0.9 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)
CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).
Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earned
Assessment Method: Lesson assignments and review exams
Course URL: astronomy101.onlineclasses.com
Instructor: April Graves
Syllabus: View Syllabus
Course Review: Read Editorial Review
Requirements: View Technical Requirements
Course Fee: $35.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $60.00
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Identify and describe the major and minor constellations.
- Identify and describe our solar system.
- Describe and differentiate the planets and moons of our solar system
- Describe both the history and future plans of space exploration.
- Describe Black Holes, Quasars, Supernovae, Brown Dwarfs, String Theory.
- Demonstrate basic functions of using a telescope, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lessons 1 & 2 Exam||Exam||13|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lessons 3 & 4 Exam||Exam||14|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lessons 5 & 6 Exam||Exam||14|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lessons 7 & 8 Exam||Exam||12|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 9 Exam||Exam||15|
- "Course was an nice overview of Astronomy. I plan on taking more advanced courses in Astronomy immediately. The recommended book "Nightwatch" is excellent." -- James M.
- "All areas of this interesting course....I enjoyed this course and the interesting way in which it was presented by the instructor," -- Naomi M.
- "Everything was explained well and clear....I wish to contiue my studing with Universal class." -- Naser N.
- "I thought the course and instructor exceptional." -- Warren R.
- "What was most helpful were the lessons. They were very organized and easy to follow....I loved taking this course and definitely I will take another one." -- Carlos P.
- "What was most helpful was how everything was laid out." -- Jessica R.
- "the essays / writings" -- Dolin H.
- View More Testimonials...