Online Class: Astronomy 101
- OR -
with CEU Certificate*
with CEU Certificate*
Start Right Now!
Taking multiple courses? Save with our platinum program.
have taken this courseLoading...
Astronomy Course Description
The universe is comprised of infinite space both on Earth and beyond.It is quite illuminating to discover the expansiveness that can be found by studying the night skies and not only learning about the array of celestial objects that exist but also understanding the reasons behind certain formations and intergalactic activities.
In this course we're going to explore our night sky, constellations, our solar system, our galaxy, and what lies beyond the far reaches of space. In addition, we'll learn about past and current projects for space exploration, as well as future ideas for space travel.Our journey will also take us to black holes, quasars, supernovaes, brown dwarfs, and the string theory. And Lastly, we'll explore in depth on how we make observations from earth, and touch on the mechanics of optical telescopes that aid us in exploring the night sky."The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible."
- Albert Einstein
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Feedback
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Astronomical Course Lessons
Lesson 1: Cosmic ViewThe universe is comprised of infinite space both on Earth and beyond. In this lesson, we'll explore the cosmic view, star variances, and the Hertzsprung-Russel Diagram.
Lesson 2: ConstellationsIn this lesson we'll explore measurements used to find the location of stars (celestial coordinates), and the constellations: Pegasus, Andromeda, Perseus, Hercules, Lyra, Sagittarius, Taurus, Gemini, Lepus, Canis Major, Canis Minor, Capricornus, Leo, and
Lesson 3: Exploring the Solar SystemNot only children as they lay awake at night, but many grown people in an attempt to understand and take in the breadth of celestial bodies that makeup the universe, have also invested inordinate amounts of time studying and reading about the solar system
Lesson 4: Planets and MoonsLet's explore our planets and moons in this solar system: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto.
Lesson 5: Space Exploration - The Final FrontierThe Final Frontier
Lesson 6: Future Plans for Space ExplorationThe Final Frontier
Lesson 7: Exploring Beyond the Solar System - Black HolesWhile we have utilized both of the words astronomy and cosmology, we have yet to fully define the latter of the two.
Lesson 8: Quasars, Supernovae, Brown Dwarfs, String TheoryWhile we have utilized both words, astronomy and cosmology, we have yet to fully define the latter of the two.
Lesson 9: Observation Made SimpleWe began our discussion of astronomy by outlining the basics tenets of star gazing. In Lesson One we provided information regarding the types of stars and constellations you may hope to see dependent upon the season in which you are viewing.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Astronomy 101Course Number: 7550424Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: High School LevelCEU Value: 0.9 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsInstructor: April GravesSyllabus: View SyllabusCourse Review: Read Editorial ReviewRequirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $50.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $75.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Identify and describe the major and minor constellations.
- Identify and describe our solar system.
- Describe and differentiate the planets and moons of our solar system
- Describe both the history and future plans of space exploration.
- Describe Black Holes, Quasars, Supernovae, Brown Dwarfs, String Theory.
- Demonstrate basic functions of using a telescope, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 2 Assignment Assignment 25 Lessons 1 & 2 Exam Exam 13 Lesson 3 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 4 Assignment Assignment 25 Lessons 3 & 4 Exam Exam 14 Lesson 5 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 6 Assignment Assignment 25 Lessons 5 & 6 Exam Exam 14 Lesson 7 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 8 Assignment Assignment 25 Lessons 7 & 8 Exam Exam 12 Lesson 9 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 9 Exam Exam 15 Total Points: 293
Choose Your Subscription PlanCourse OnlyOne Course
No Certificate / No CEUs$50for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate X Includes CEUs X Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 courseCertificate CourseOne Course
Certificate & CEUs$75for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 coursePlatinum YearlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$189per yearYou save 50%!Billed once
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 12 Months No. of courses 500+Platinum MonthlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$59 first month$29.00 / month thereafterBilled monthly
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete Monthly No. of courses 500+
- "I have been a part of many online courses by far this was the best. The instructor was quick in answering my questions." -- Kelly G.
- "Content of the last lesson was most helpful. The reference material on all lessons was helpful....Enjoyable, well worth the time." -- Robert L.
- "Happy with course." -- Troy S.
- "The instructor for this class was timely and efficient in his reply and criticism was positive and appreciated." -- G Mark M.
- "Thanks for listening to me. I am considering a physics course as well as a math course. The prices are just about right and fit in with my desire to get back on board on some math and physics skills I have let drop over the past fifty or sixty years (g)." -- Dave R.
- "Course was an nice overview of Astronomy. I plan on taking more advanced courses in Astronomy immediately. The recommended book "Nightwatch" is excellent." -- James M.
- "All areas of this interesting course....I enjoyed this course and the interesting way in which it was presented by the instructor," -- Naomi M.
- View More Testimonials...