with CEU Certificate
Welcome to advocacy for the elderly patient. With growing numbers of seniors in our aging population, families and extended family members are finding themselves in a position where they're providing for some or all of the care for their senior loved ones.
Understanding basic rights of patients and how such rights apply to the elderly will help you become an advocate for not only elderly patients, but for other family members and friends. In this course, you'll learn what an advocate is, what one does, and why it's important to be an advocate for patient care today.
You'll also learn not only how to be a well educated advocate, but to do your part to preserve the dignity of seniors, prevent elder abuse, and understand the basics of elderly patient care at home, in assisted living facilities and in nursing homes or other care scenarios. You'll learn the importance of nutrition and providing senior-friendly living spaces. You'll learn how to effectively evaluate nursing homes and understand the legal rights of seniors and how to protect them from scams.
As an educated advocate, you'll also learn how to identify and report red flags when it comes to senior care, including elderly abuse and more personal aspects of care, including hygiene. You'll also learn the importance of documents such as advance directives and powers of attorney in order to provide the best in secure, comforting and effective senior care that maintains their independence and dignity in all areas of their life.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1. What Is an Advocate?In this lesson, you'll learn what an advocate is, what one does, and why it's important to be an advocate for patient care today.
Lesson 2. Preservation of DignityTaking care of the elderly means ensuring they have the comfort and security that every human being needs.
Lesson 3. Preventing Elder AbuseUnderstanding the different types of elder abuse may help you become more adept at recognizing it, doing something about it, or preventing it.
Lesson 4. Quality of Life IssuesThis lesson will introduce quality of life issues that should be at the top of the list for any senior advocate.
Lesson 5. Providing Safe EnvironmentsIn this lesson, we'll cover the basics of how you can provide a safe environment for a loved one in a number of scenarios and what it means to provide a safe living environment for the elderly.
Lesson 6. Patient Care Advocacy in Home-based SettingsFor you to be an informed and effective elder care advocate, it's important to be aware of the most important aspects of senior health and wellness, prevention of harm, and resources available in order to provide the best patient care possible.
Lesson 7: Advocacy for Elders in Nursing HomesExpectations of care can be defined as what a senior family member expects in a nursing home, an assisted living facility, or through services obtained by a home health care agency.
Lesson 8. Nursing Home Resident's RightsThis lesson will focus on specific rights of residents, or at least the rights that should be observed and followed by not only seniors, but also their families, physicians, and most importantly, advocates.
Lesson 9. Legal RightsOne of the most important jobs you'll have is in elderly patient advocate, whether you're a professional, or a volunteer, or layperson, is to protect the legal rights of seniors.
Lesson 10. Red FlagsTo receive Medicare or Medicaid reimbursement, nursing homes must undergo yearly inspections by state accrediting organizations which follow state and Federal standards and guidelines regarding quality care.
Lesson 11. Death and DyingAs an elderly patient advocate, you need to know the types of documents and situations that may be involved in the death and dying process of patients.
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe a advocate for the elderly is and what the job entails.
- Summarize how to maintain and preserve the dignity of the elderly.
- Describe methods for recognizing and preventing elder abuse.
- Describe quality of life issues.
- Identify methods and techniques for providing safe environments.
- Summarize patient care advocacy in home-based settings and nursing homes.
- Identify nursing home resident's rights and elderly legal rights.
- Identify red flags when determining proper elder care.
- Summarize the processes of death and dying, what to expect, and how to cope and support, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 1 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 2 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 3 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 4 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 5 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 6 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 7 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 8 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 9 Exam||Exam||7|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 10 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 11 Exam||Exam||10|
|The Final Exam||Exam||50|
- Alzheimer's Disease 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Caring for Seniors$78.001.4 CEUs
- Aging and Long Term Care 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Microbiology 101$110.003.0 CEUs
- Anatomy and Physiology 101$90.002.1 CEUs
- Biology 101$95.003.5 CEUs
- Medical Terminology 101$75.001.8 CEUs
- Mediation 101$70.001.2 CEUs
- Medical Terminology 201$80.001.7 CEUs
- Comprehensive Medical Terminology 1 & 2$115.003.3 CEUs
- Medical Assistant 101: Career Overview$75.002.2 CEUs
- Medical Office Procedures 101$75.001.0 CEUs
- Caring for Patients with HIV/AIDS 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Introduction to Medical Billing$110.001.7 CEUs
- End of Life Care$60.000.4 CEUs
- Medical Terminology for Medical Coders$115.001.4 CEUs
- Introduction to Medical Coding$154.002.0 CEUs
- Careers in Healthcare$55.000.2 CEUs