Online Class: Braiding Hair 101
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this course
Course DescriptionHair styling and hair braiding is not a recent trend. The word Braid means a complex pattern created by intertwining three or more strands. A braid can be formed by any flexible material such as fibers, wire, thread, or hair. This course will cover all aspects and types of hair braiding.
With a little work and practice, you will become an expert as this self-paced course is designed to help individuals who would like to do hair braiding on their own and for the aspiring hair braiders who would like to start a hair braiding salon. This course includes instructional photos making the learning process easy. Course topics include:
This course is designed for lifelong learners and for personal use. It is not for college credit or licensure.
- Lesson 1: History of Hair Braiding
- Lesson 2: Hair Braiding Accessories
- Lesson 3: Preparations for Hair Braiding
- Lesson 4: Simple Hair Braiding Styles I
- Lesson 5: Simple Hair Braiding Styles II
- Lesson 6: French Braids and 5 Strands Braiding
- Lesson 7: Different Types of Hair Buns
- Lesson 8: English, Dutch, Cornrows, and Pig Tail Braiding Styles
- Lesson 9: Updo Hair Styles
- Lesson 10: Basic Fishtail Braids
- Lesson 11: Licensing, Regulations, and Tips for Hair Braiding
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Feedback
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: History of Hair BraidingHair Braiding Among Native Americans
Hair Braiding Among Africans
Hair Braiding in Asian Cultures
Lesson 2: Hair Braiding AccessoriesHair Braiding Accessories
Alligator Hair Clamp
Lesson 3: Preparations for Hair BraidingCleaning Your Hair
Fine-Tuning Your Hair
Lesson 4: Simple Hair Braiding Styles IBasic Three-Strand Braid
Knotted Braid Ponytail
Basic Hair Flip
Reverse Hair Flip
Stylish Hair Flip
Lesson 5: Simple Hair Braiding Styles IIBarrette Fold
Long Clamp Twist
Simple Hair Roll
Lesson 6: French Braids and Five-Strand BraidingFrench Plait
Double French Braid
Lesson 7: Different Types of Hair BunsBasic Bun
Long Clamp Bun
Classic Double Braid Bun
Lesson 8: English, Dutch, Cornrows, and Pigtail Braiding StylesEnglish Braiding
Lesson 9: Updo Hair StylesRope Updo
Hair Claw Updo
Chinese Braided Updo
Classic Twisted Updo
Lesson 10: Basic Fishtail BraidsFishtail Braids
Fishtail Ponytail Braids
Full Fishtail Braids
Partial Fishtail Braids
Other Simple Fishtail Braids
Lesson 11: Licensing, Regulations, and Tips for Hair BraidingGeneral Requirements for Hair Braider License
Safety Regulations for Hair Braiding
Tips for Hair Braiding
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Braiding Hair 101Course Number: 8900303Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: How ToCEU Value: 1.0 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsInstructor: Nancy FillipSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $50.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $75.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Summarize the history of hair braiding.
- Summarize the hair braiding accessories.
- Describe the preparations needed before starting a hair braid.
- Describe the simple hair braiding styles.
- Describe the procedures involved in French Braids and 5 Strands Braiding.
- Summarize the different types of hair buns and how to braid them.
- Summarize the procedures involved in creating English, Dutch, Cornrows, and Pig Tail Braiding Styles.
- Summarize the procedures involved in creating basic Fishtail Braids.
- Describe licensing and regulations in order to braid hair professionally, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
An Introduction Assignment 5 Lesson 1 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 1 Exam: History of Hair Braiding Exam 100 Lesson 2 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 2 Exam: Hair Braiding Accessories Exam 100 Lesson 3 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 3 Exam: Preparations for Hair Braiding Exam 90 Lesson 4 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 4 Exam: Simple Hair Braiding Styles I Exam 90 Lesson 5 Assignment Assignment 30 Lesson 5 Exam: Simple Hair Braiding Styles II Exam 100 Lesson 6 Assignment Assignment 30 Exam 6: French Braids and 5 Strand Braiding Exam 90 Lesson 7 Assignment Assignment 25 Exam 7: Different Types of Hair Buns Exam 100 Lesson 8 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 8: English, Dutch, Cornrows, and Pig Tail Braiding Styles Exam 90 Lesson 9 Assignment Assignment 30 Lesson 9: Updo Hair Styles Exam 90 Lesson 10 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 10: Basic Fishtail Braids Exam 100 Final Thoughts Assignment 100 Lesson 11 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 11 Exam: Licensing, Regulations, and Tips for Hair Braiding Exam 100 The Final Exam Exam 510 Total Points: 1860
Choose Your Subscription PlanCourse OnlyOne Course
No Certificate / No CEUs$50for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate X Includes CEUs X Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 courseCertificate CourseOne Course
Certificate & CEUs$75for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 coursePlatinum YearlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$189per yearYou save 50%!Billed once
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 12 Months No. of courses 500+Platinum MonthlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$59 first month$29.00 / month thereafterBilled monthly
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete Monthly No. of courses 500+
- "All of this course was helpful because it helped me to remember things I had forgotten about and things I didn't know. It showed you in pictures and in step by step instructions." -- Rosalind W.
- "the course was fun, and the instructor gave useful tips, and was very helpful!" -- Jane S.
- "This course was great and the instructor was great." -- Majolie N.
- "Great experience!" -- Jameelah S.
- "The course was well put together and I have learned a lot from it and the instructor was is an expert. She's always there to answer your questions." -- Laveisha B.
- "I liked the actual braiding assignments. The information in the links was extremely helpful....The instructor was available as soon as I sent the assignment and got right back to me." -- BarBara M.