American Literature Review
with CEU Certificate*
Reading and learning about American literature is synonymous with understanding the history and culture of a nation that has undergone dramatic social, economic, and cultural change in its relatively short history. This course is a reveiw of the literature of America and the people who made it, from earliest days to the present. Learn about the major literary movements; realism, romanticism and transcendentalism and the authors who have contributed significantly to the development of American literature in its different aspects.
If you're looking for test prep or review for school or college or just interested in understanding the changes in American literature for your general educational enhancement, this course will meet your needs.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More Information
Lesson 1: IntroductionOverview of the course
Lesson 2: Colonial Period to 1750Colonial Period up to 1750
Lesson 3: Revolutionary Period up to 1820The Writings of the Revolutionary Period up to 1820
Lesson 4: Writings from 1820 to 1865The Flowering of American Romanticism, from 1820-1865
Lesson 5: The Writings of a Continental Nation, 1865-1900The Writings (and writers) of a Continental Nation, 1865-1900
Lesson 6: Writings 1900-1920sThe Writings of 1900 through the 1920s
Lesson 7: Writings of 1920 to 1945The Writings of 1920-1945
Lesson 8: Writings from 1945 to PresentThe Writings of 1945 -- To The Present
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- Summarize the major literary figures and works from the Colonial Period to 1750.
- Summarize the major literary figure and works from the Revolutionary Period up to 1820
- Describe the major writings created from 1820-1865.
- Summarize the major writings of a Continental Nation, 1865-1900.
- Identify and summarize the major literary works of the 20th century, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Quiz||Exam||60|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 2 Quiz (Colonial Period Up To 1790)||Exam||10|
|Assignment for Lesson 3||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 3 Quiz (The Writings Revolutionary of the Period up to 1820||Exam||9|
|Assignment for Lesson 4||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 4 Quiz (The Flowering of American Romanticism from 1820-1865)||Exam||10|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 5 Quiz ( The Writings of 1865-1900)||Exam||10|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 6 Quiz (The Writings of 1900-1920)||Exam||9|
|Compulsion of Steinbeck, Fitzgerald and Hemmingway||Assignment||50|
|Assignment for Lesson 7||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 7 Quiz (The Writings of 1920-1945)||Exam||10|
|What Compelled American Writers 1945 to Present?||Assignment||50|
|Assignment for Lesson 8||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 8 Quiz (The Writings of 1945 -- To The Present)||Exam||10|
- "The instructor has been very prompt in grading the assignments and tests. Any emails that I sent to her were answered in the same day. I congratulate her for preparing and organizing this course that has rekindled my spirit. During the long,dark and very cold Canadian winters, I read so I am not alone. This has been an enlightening and uplifting walk with you through the lives of so many authors. Keep up the good work and I can only hope that you will be able to to present another online course in literature. My rating for this course is four stars." -- Sara H.