| || || |
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
Preventing child abuse is everyone's responsibility. This includes law enforcement personnel, educational personnel, medical personnel as well as family, friends, and neighbors. Child Abuse education is important so that students may recognize various aspects of child abuse, including neglect, sexual and physical abuse, and other forms of maltreatment.
This course helps students understand the typical profiles of child abusers as well as the definitions of various forms and aspects of neglect and abuse. Repercussions for failure to report suspected neglect or child abuse of any form may be punishable by civil or criminal liabilities. Who is required to report child abuse as well as the guidelines and protocols for reporting are addressed in these lessons.
Law-enforcement personnel are required to initiate investigations following jurisdictional procedure and protocol. Prosecutors are required to ensure that evidence is admissible in a court of law and that child abuse investigations are completed in a timely manner and as thoroughly as possible. Methods of interviewing children as well adults or suspects are included in this course.
Education and child abuse law enforcement procedures, investigative techniques, filing report guidelines and how surveillance is used to find and charge a suspect are all parts of a child abuse investigation that require teamwork. Learn how to recognize forms of abuse and understand child abuse cases, from crime scene investigation and preserving evidence to charging sexual or physical abuse reports and interrogating a suspect. Preventing child abuse is everyone's responsibility – learn how to spot it and how to stop it.
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe how to profile child abusers.
- Define child abuse and neglect.
- Recognize the basic signs of child abuse.
- Assess signs of abuse.
- Describe Munchausen's by Proxy.
- Describe reporting procedures and responsibilities for child abuse.
- Summarize Child Abuse Law Enforcement Procedures.
- Describe the investigative process for child abuse.
- Describe how to interview children regarding abuse.
- Describe ways and responses when confronting a suspect.
- Describe methods of interviewing parents.
- Describe ways to protect children from child abuse, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1: Introduction to Child Abuse InvestigationIt is up to the adults to protect the innocents and recognize the dangers that harm them as well is report such conditions to the proper authorities.
Lesson 2: Profiling Child AbusersChild abusers come in all shapes and sizes and can be either male or female, young or old. They also come from a wide variety of social status environments and structures.
Lesson 3: Defining Child Abuse and NeglectToday there are different categories of abuse, and each initiates its own type of investigation.
Lesson 4: Recognizing the Basic Signs of Child AbuseWhile there are various and basic indicators of abuse that should be recognized, these alone do not constitute abuse.
Lesson 5: Assessing Signs of AbuseProfessionals and nonprofessionals should be able to spot the signs of abuse in order to assess the situation in conjunction with other bits and pieces of evidence, including witness statements and victim statements.
Lesson 6: Understanding Munchausen Syndrome by ProxyThis is a condition that finds an adult planning, perpetrating, and lying about illness or injuries suffered by a child for the sake of gaining attention.
Lesson 7: Who Is Required to Report Child Abuse?Child abuse reports can originate from a wide variety of people, from the children who are experiencing it to the family members who suspect child abuse and even those who have witnessed events that suggest a strong suspicion of any type or form of child
Lesson 8: Repercussions: Failure to Report and Protecting ReportersVarious procedures have been designed to help those in the professional fields, as well as citizens, to offer guidance in making a child abuse report.
Lesson 9: Child Abuse Law Enforcement ProceduresGuidelines help law enforcement personnel make sure that laws, regulations, and statutes are met in order to protect not only suspected child abusers, but their victims and other family members throughout the investigation process.
Lesson 10: The Investigative ProcessThe most important aspect of a primary investigative or forensic interview is to be able to obtain and preserve the information that the victim alone is able to provide.
Lesson 11: Interviewing ChildrenThe interview process for children contains several different factors that need to be followed, or at least to offer guidelines for a successful interview.
Lesson 12: Alternative Investigation TechniquesBasic techniques and protocol involved in any child abuse investigation case include the taking of photographs, gathering witness statements, and interviewing victims, family members, and suspects.
Lesson 13: Confronting a SuspectThe most powerful piece of evidence in any successful conclusion of a child abuse case is the admittance of guilt by a suspect.
Lesson14: Child Abuse Crime Scene InvestigationWhen searching for evidence at the scene of a crime where a homicide or child abuse has occurred, law enforcement officials must adhere to applicable laws of search and seizure.
Lesson 15: Child Death InvestigationsIt often is difficult to get to the bottom of the truth in such situations. Investigators use protocol in each situation.
Lesson 16: Teachers and Child AbuseSchool districts around the United States have tried to develop protocol and guidelines in order to educate teachers, teachers' aides, and other school personnel about the signs and symptoms of child abuse.
Lesson 17: Interviewing ParentsDetectives, police officers, and child protective services personnel need to try to put emotion aside and gain the most information from parents as possible in these situations in order to initiate a productive investigative process.
Lesson 18: Charging a Sexual Abuse CaseThe standards for prosecuting a sexual child abuse case differ by state, but in most cases follow a fairly general protocol.
Lesson 19: Charging Physical Abuse or HomicideVarious considerations will determine how a crime is charged, including whether it was deliberate, accidental, depraved, or willful.
Lesson 20: Protecting the ChildrenKnowing the warning signs is the first step toward protecting children, regardless of circumstance.
|Course Title ||: ||Child Abuse Recognition, Investigation, and Protection |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||7550243 |
|Course Type ||: ||General Education |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $40.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
Other Related Classes in Social Work
- Psychology 101 Why not learn the basics of psychology with our online course designed to give students the most flexibility and independence? Psychology 101 is a comprehensive class providing an up-to-date presentation of the fundamentals of psychology. It's an excel...
- Dealing With Difficult People Dealing with a difficult or toxic personality can be damaging both emotionally and physically, particularly if the person is your boss or sitting in the cubicle right next to you. Confronting those who compromise your comfort and job security can be very...
- Confidence Building 101 This course on building self-confidence reaches beyond the standard self-help program by addressing the core issues surrounding confidence problems and exploring how to reprogram our brain‘s negative self-talk. Based on the concept that we come int...
- Meditation 101: Learn How to Meditate Meditation is a practice by which a person achieves a greater sense of awareness, wisdom, introspection, and a deeper sense of relaxation. Practiced for millennia, it is the discipline of concentrating on a single object, thought, sound, movement, or o...
- Stress Management 101 Stress is one of the most common words used in society today and a phenomenon that each one of us will experience at some point in our life. Stress affects people of all ages, professions and life situations. While we have an innate understanding of s...
- Child Psychology 101 This course introduces the methods, theories and main concepts used by psychologists to develop a real insight into the world of children. Child psychology is extremely important for a number of reasons, not the least of which is being able to understan...
- Domestic Violence 101 Domestic violence, sometimes called domestic abuse, is reaching epidemic proportions and affects men, women and children of all races and social and economic levels. In order to stem the tide of domestic abuse we have to not only stop the abuse and prote...
- Assertiveness Training 101 The ability to be assertive is difficult. Because most people do not want to be perceived as selfish, demanding, hostile, stubborn or just plain hard to get along with, they allow others to take advantage of them or they do more than is necessary or requ...
- Counseling Psychology 101 Professional counselors need a strong foundation to prepare them for entering the profession of counseling. If you are seeking a program to enhance your skills, or just want to learn more about the career, this Introduction to Counseling course will g...
- Criminology Basics How does our Criminal Justice system really work? This course will answer that question and provide an impartial and balanced look at current policies and legal issues facing the police, courts and our corrections system. If you're interested in pur...
- How To Be Your Own Private Investigator How would you like to be your own detective? Are you interested in tracking down someone who owes you money, or getting information from credit bureaus or locating lost children or friends, or finding out whether a spouse or lover is being faithfu...
- Abnormal Psychology 101 Abnormal Psychology is a highly complex and fascinating field of study. The modern psychological community has made tremendous strides in better understanding, diagnosing and treating abnormal disorders of the mind compared to centuries and even decades ...
- Basic Parenting 101 Good parenting skills are something we learn, not something we are born with. Being a more effective parent or caretaker is possible for everyone! This course can help you get your parenting skills to where you want them to be. It covers a broad rang...
- Conflict Resolution 101 Conflict Resolution: In the Workplace and Beyond Did you know that a little conflict in your office today can shut down your entire operation tomorrow? That is no exaggeration! Workplace conflict costs. It starts by reducing productivity and employee h...
- Sociology 101 This comprehensive course provides an up-to-date presentation of the essentials of sociological study. Students will learn a wide range of classical and contemporary perspectives which will encourage links between theories and current research. With the ...
- Depression Management Managing Depression is an engaging course that offers an abundance of ideas for taking personal control over the nasty symptoms of depression. Focusing on self-help for mild to moderate depression, this online class identifies the various symptoms of d...
- Legal Terminology 101 Legal questions come up regularly in our daily lives and the language of law is everywhere. Legal Terminology 101 is a comprehensive guide to the language of the legal system. If you're planning on purchasing a house, involved in a landlord-tenant d...
- Drug and Alcohol Abuse 101 Drug and Alcohol Abuse: Awareness, Counseling and Prevention is a comprehensive course that addresses the problems of drug abuse across the spectrum, including the latest thinking about prevention and awareness. This course provides an understanding of ...
- Healthy Relationships 101 Whether you are in a new or long term romantic relationship, a busy student working with other colleagues, parents struggling to form a connection with your children, or a business person needing to form a relationship of trust with the employer--relatio...
- How to Start and Run a Daycare Service Finding quality daycare these days is not always easy. Working parents are constantly seeking educated and experienced childcare providers to meet the needs of their children. There has been and always will be a need for home daycare settings for childre...
- The Art of Breathing 101 The Art of Breathing is a course on utilizing your full breathing abilities in order to improve your day-to-day life. Most of us don't employ our breathing machine fully -- and we will teach you how to do that. From breathing routines to yoga and medita...
- Evidence Law 101 If you are currently pursuing or are interested in working in areas of law, this course will provide you with the background information you will need to get started. The increasing demand for paralegals, legal secretaries, and law clerks to help atto...
- Contract Law 101 - An Introduction Every time you trade an item, attend a sporting event or buy a soda, you enter the world of contracting. When an exchange is made willingly a contract exists. But do you know how US law interprets and enforces contracts? We've designed an introductory co...
- Childhood Obesity 101 Are you one of those parents who constantly worry about your child's weight? Are you unsure about the kind of help and support an overweight child needs? Or are you looking for ways to prevent your child from gaining excess weight? Whichever the case, th...
- Relaxation 101 In this course we will discuss the art behind relaxation techniques. You will learn a variety of techniques to help you learn how to relax. In today's Western world, stress is a constant companion leading to chronic illness and disease, increased dissati...