| || || |
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
Research shows that the early years set the stage for all future development. We know more now than ever before about how young children learn, think and grow. All children are born eager to explore their world and master their development. From birth to a child's third birthday, development proceeds at a pace exceeding that of any stage of life. Infants and toddlers rapidly develop capabilities in emotional regulation, relationships, cognition, motor development, and language. These capabilities form the foundation from which all future development builds.
This course is designed to help you do the following:
- Follow a child's growth and development from birth to three years of age.
- Familiarize yourself with the developmental milestones of the first three years.
- Learn and use the information and the skills needed to serve as a caregiver to children.
- Examine the opportunities for a career in child development, child care, or related fields.
- Better understand the responsibilities of parenthood.
- Decide whether children will have a major or a minor place in your future.
Caring for young children involves many commitments and responsibilities. Perhaps the greatest of these is helping a child develop a positive self-concept and healthy self-esteem. With these assets, a child will be better able to make wise decisions, relate well to others, and assume responsibility for his or her own life.
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe brain development in early childhood.
- Describe the developmental connections made in early childhood.
- Describe development in infants.
- Describe developments in early language and literacy.
- Describe ways to communicate with your baby.
- Summarize cognitive development from infant to early childhood.
- Describe the emotional and social development of children.
- Summarize the effects of maltreatment on early brain development.
- Describe developmental issues of premature infants.
- Recognize and describe developmental disabilities in children, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1 : Brain DevelopmentJust three weeks after conception, the human brain begins forming, but in many ways, brain development is a lifelong project.
Lesson 2 : Developmental Connections in Early ChildhoodAccording to the American Academy of Pediatrics, various aspects of early childhood development are linked.
Lesson 3 : Infant Growth & DevelopmentInfants experience many stages of growth and development. Growth refers to an increase in size or weight.
Lesson 4 : Early Language & LiteracyLanguage and intellectual development appear to be closely related. Thus observa-tions of how children develop language also provide information on their cognitive development.
Lesson 5 : The Importance of PlayPlaying with a baby begins by engaging all of his senses. His eyes, ears, nose, hands, and mouth are his tools.
Lesson 6 : Communicating with Your BabyFrom the moment of birth, your baby begins to communicate. At first, the newborn's cries may seem like a foreign language to you, but before you know it, you will learn your baby's "language"
Lesson 7 : Cognitive DevelopmentCognitive development refers to a child's growing ability to perceive, remember, think, reason, and solve problems.
Lesson 8 : Emotional and Social DevelopmentAt birth, infants show the beginning of a personality all their own. Some babies cry a lot; others seldom do. Some may be tense; others are more relaxed.
Lesson 9 : The Effects of Maltreatment on Early Brain DevelopmentIn a bulletin produced by the Child Welfare Information Gateway, research was cited which indicated that babies' brains grow and develop as they interact with their environment and learn how to function within that environment.
Lesson 10 : Developmental Issues of Premature InfantsBabies born before their expected due dates have always elicited a double dose of compassion from those of us who are touched by their entrance into the world.
Lesson 11 : Developmental DisabilitiesIt is natural to compare your child with others his age. When the neighbor's baby walks at 10 months, for example, you may worry if yours does not crawl until 13 months.
|Course Title ||: ||Early Childhood Development |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||7550154 |
|Course Type ||: ||General Education |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $45.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
Other Related Classes in Human Development
- Behavior Management 101 We devote a disturbing amount of time, energy, and financial resources in the overwhelming task of managing inappropriate behaviors of students and children, and it does not stop there. It is no secret that juvenile delinquency is a growing problem in ou...
- Autism 101 Autism Isn't… A result of inadequate parenting Nor is it a learning disability. And a diagnosis certainly needn't be viewed as a life long sentence to mediocrity, emptiness, dissatisfaction or lack of either fulfillment or productivity. Auti...
- Early Childhood Development Research shows that the early years set the stage for all future development. We know more now than ever before about how young children learn, think and grow. All children are born eager to explore their world and master their development. From birth to...
- Child Psychology 101 This course introduces the methods, theories and main concepts used by psychologists to develop a real insight into the world of children. Child psychology is extremely important for a number of reasons, not the least of which is being able to understan...
- Basic Parenting 101 Good parenting skills are something we learn, not something we are born with. Being a more effective parent or caretaker is possible for everyone! This course can help you get your parenting skills to where you want them to be. It covers a broad rang...
- Child Abuse Recognition, Investigation, and Protection Preventing child abuse is everyone's responsibility. This includes law enforcement personnel, educational personnel, medical personnel as well as family, friends, and neighbors. Child Abuse education is important so that students may recognize various as...
- Personality Development 101 In this Personality Development course you will learn in-depth information about personalities. You will gain a better understanding about those around you and also more about who you are and how you got to be that way. This course starts with a basi...
- Building Children's Reading Skills This course will provide the learner with a better understanding of the underlying concepts needed to improve the reading skills in children and adults. Through readings, lessons, quizzes and independent explorations, the learner will leave the course w...
- Babysitting 101 This course is designed to provide beginning babysitters with advice and tips for caring for kids of all ages. Parents want their children to have the best babysitter they could find. This course is written to allow a first time babysitting to know how t...
- Emotional and Behavioral Disorders 101 This research-based introductory course will provide comprehensive information on Emotional and Behavioral disorders. The course material will provide you with information on the following: definitions, characteristics, prevalence, causes, assessment, ...
- Special Education 101: Foundations, Purpose, & Challenges Special Education 101 is the first in a series of relevant, innovative and dynamic courses developed and taught by a leading educator in this field. This course explains why people with disabilities deserve respect rather than pity in their quest for ...
- How to Teach Reading Fundamentals Reading is the process of absorbing the written word. Whether in English or another language, reading is an essential part of communication between human beings. Reading comprehension is the ability to process, think through and connect ideas that are ex...
- Learning Disabilities: What You Need to Know This course will provide lots of useful information about learning disabilities from the perspective of the individual and the perspective of the parent. We'll cover numerous coping and teaching strategies, the role of an advocate, and much more. This se...
- Autism Spectrum Disorders for Teachers This is an overview of autism spectrum disorders for teachers and paraprofessionals. We will examine the psychological, physiological, social, and educational characteristics of individuals who have been identified as having autism, pervasive development...
- Reading Comprehension 101 Whether you are a student who is seeking to pass the reading comprehension portion of such standardized tests as the SAT, ACT, CLEP, College Placement Test, ACCUPLACER, GRE, MCAT, LSAT, or GMAT, or you need to improve your reading comprehension for work ...
- Building Self-Esteem in Children 101 While many of us feel we have an idea of what self-esteem is, it can still be difficult to pinpoint just how to go about helping a child to build a healthy one. In Building Self-Esteem in Children, you will learn all about self-esteem and come out ready ...
- Applied Behavior Analysis Strategies for Teachers This course familiarizes parents, teachers, and paraprofessionals with appropriate behavioral approaches and methods for the instruction and management of individuals with disabilities. This course is designed to provide students with the fundamental...
- Attention Deficit Disorders: ADD and ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) affects millions of children and adults all over the world. Although it is considered a mental health issue by some medical practitioners, ADHD is actually a complex neurobiological disorder, thus, it cann...
- Childhood Obesity 101 Are you one of those parents who constantly worry about your child's weight? Are you unsure about the kind of help and support an overweight child needs? Or are you looking for ways to prevent your child from gaining excess weight? Whichever the case, th...
- How To Be a Substitute Teacher Substitute teaching can be a rewarding profession for people looking to make a difference in children's lives and to leave a positive impact in their communities. It is also a job that allows someone a flexible work schedule and the ability to work jus...
- Unit Studies 101 This is a two-part class, the purpose of which is to provide you with the tools necessary to develop your own unit studies course for either homeschool or classroom purposes. Part 1 walks you through the process of building your own unit study course in...
- Prenatal Care Pregnancy is a common enough occurrence. It happens all the time. Until it happens to you or someone you love for the very first time. Then, the questions mount and without answers your fears may begin to get the better of you. By looking into th...
- First Grade Curriculum 101 The view of schooling is no longer the textbook-based, one-sided lecture method of the 19 th and even 20 th Centuries. Education theory has shifted dramatically in recent decades. The passive learning styles of our past are now understood to be inferi...
- How To Coach Youth Basketball If you are new to coaching youth basketball and not sure what to do, this course will get you up and running! In this short easy to follow course you will learn how to begin your basketball coaching career. We have comprised the basics that will not ...
- How to Coach Little League Baseball How to coach little league baseball is an ideal guide for any coach or parent of young players. Whether you are new to coaching youth baseball or looking for ways to improve your techniques, this course will help move you and your young team towards a gr...
- Second Grade Curriculum 101 There is no specific national school curriculum in the U.S. Many states don't develop their own particular curriculum, but rather adopt standards of knowledge that students are expected to master. In recent decades there has been some general agreement ...