| || || |
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
Caring for a senior or elderly relative or friend or client at home may be one of the most gratifying and rewarding experiences of a lifetime, but is one that may also be filled with frustration, physical and mental weariness, and at times, resentment. Understanding the challenges and responsibilities of elder care, learning how to deal with day-to-day challenges and providing a safe and senior-friendly environment to loved ones is essential in the caregiving process. Encouraging seniors to stick to medication schedules, preventing dehydration and providing proper hygiene are essential in long-term care scenarios.
Learning how to safely transfer seniors in a variety of scenarios while at the same time protecting the caregiver are essential, as is learning how to deal with security and safety in the home of a senior diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Caring for seniors in a home environment also means providing care for the caregiver. Time-outs, support, dealing with difficult family members as well as the emotional, physical and mental strains of caregiving are addressed in this course.
Dealing with behavior problems such as aggression is also discussed, as are recognizing and preventing situations of senior abuse. Learning how to identify the warning signs of senior abuse and dealing with feelings of anger, resentment and stress are addressed in this course, and are as important for caregivers as they are for all family members.
Finally, learning about community options for respite and end-of-life or hospice scenarios will help caregivers provide the best in effective, efficient and quality home care for seniors.
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe methods for providing care to the elderly.
- Describe safety methods that must be observed when caring for the elderly.
- Describe ways to deal with patients that have Alzheimer's Disease.
- Describe daily routines and common behavior problems.
- Recognize and preventing senior abuse.
- Summarize the role and purpose of hospice care.
- Caring For An Elder
- Dealing With Day To Day Challenges
- Safety First!
- Preventing Problems
- Mobility Issues
- Dealing With Alzheimer's
- Caring for the Caregiver
- Body Works and Limitations
- Daily Routines
- Behavior Problems
- Recognizing and Preventing Senior Abuse
- Staying Active
- Respite Care Options
- Finding Help
- Hospic, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1: Caring For An ElderTaking care of an elderly individual, whether that person is your parent, friend or other relative, is considered a duty and responsibility in many cultures.
Lesson 2: Dealing With Day To Day ChallengesFrom one day to the next, a caregiver may face a number of scenarios and situations that may test our ability to schedule, balance time between family, work and elder care, as well as maintain a sense of humor.
Lesson 3: Safety First!Safety is a major factor when caring for an elderly person in a home environment. The first step for caregivers is to provide a senior family environment for the individual, whether it's in their own home or the caregiver's.
Lesson 4: Preventing ProblemsThere's no way a caregiver can anticipate all types of problems or situations that may arise in caregiving scenarios. However, there are methods caregivers can take to reduce the frequency of problems.
Lesson 5: Mobility IssuesTaking care of an elderly individual, whether it's a parent, friend or relative, requires more than mental and emotional support, transportation to and from doctors' offices, and grocery shopping, cooking or cleaning.
Lesson 6: Dealing With Alzheimer'sAlzheimer's disease is possibly the most feared and least understood diseases to afflict the human brain.
Lesson 7: Caring for the CaregiverAs mentioned earlier, caregiving involves physical, emotional, and mental involvement in the life of an elderly individual.
Lesson 8: Body Works and LimitationsCaregivers taking care of elderly individuals suffering from a variety of common medical conditions such as arthritis, diabetes, incontinence, and strokes.
Lesson 9: Daily RoutinesTaking care of daily routines, such as those that involve meals and meal planning and preparation, bathing, and dressing maybe mundane.
Lesson 10: Behavior ProblemsDad refuses to bathe and all of a sudden Mom is talking like a sailor. Grandma accuses family members of stealing from her and Uncle George has suddenly developed an affinity for biting.
Lesson 11: Recognizing and Preventing Senior AbuseA study performed by the National Alliance for Caregiving and the American Association of Retired Persons determined that nearly 48% of caregivers to the elderly are elderly spouses, and that nearly 75% of them are women.
Lesson 12: Staying ActiveThere's an old saying, "use it or lose it." This is very true, in both a physical and a mental sense. The muscles in the body and the brain need to stay exercised and active to perform adequately.
Lesson 13: Respite Care OptionsAnyone taking care of someone, regardless of age, needs a break once in a while.
Lesson 14: Finding HelpNo matter the situation, whether the caregiver belongs to a large or small family in the middle of a city or in a rural community, community services and professional help are available.
Lesson 15: HospiceFor many caregivers involved in long-term caregiving scenarios and for those suffering from terminal musical conditions, forms of dementia.
|Course Title ||: ||Caring for Seniors |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||8900165 |
|Course Type ||: ||Support/Advice |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $53.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
Other Related Classes in Home Health Nursing
- Nutrition 101 Improve your health and your life through nutrition and exercise. Create nutrition and health goals to motivate you to become a healthier you. Make meaningful, lasting changes to your diet that last. Review the digestion process and how our body would di...
- Medical Terminology 101 This medical terminology course covers the medical language and terminology used by health care professionals everywhere. If you're interested in pursuing a health and science career requiring the ability to communicate with physicians, dentists, or ot...
- Anatomy and Physiology 101 This self-paced anatomy and physiology course will cover all the bodily systems playing a major role in human anatomy. The material is presented in a practical and comprehensive manner. The focus of the course is on the need-to-know facts that must be un...
- Abnormal Psychology 101 Abnormal Psychology is a highly complex and fascinating field of study. The modern psychological community has made tremendous strides in better understanding, diagnosing and treating abnormal disorders of the mind compared to centuries and even decades ...
- Comprehensive Medical Terminology 1 & 2 This comprehensive medical terminology combination course covers both courses: Medical Terminology 101 and 201. We'll start with the very basics of medical terminology, reviewing word roots, prefixes, and suffixes that make up medical words. We'll then m...
- Lifetime Wellness 101 Health is defined as an optimal state of physical, emotional, mental, social and spiritual well being. The same explanation applies to wellness. It's like that old saying You don't have anything if you don't have your health. Our birth certificates...
- Medical Terminology 201 Medical terminology is the specific language used by professionals in the medical industry and for success in this field, understanding and communicating in the language is critical. Medical Terminology 201 is an advanced course for those with some expe...
- Sociology 101 This comprehensive course provides an up-to-date presentation of the essentials of sociological study. Students will learn a wide range of classical and contemporary perspectives which will encourage links between theories and current research. With the ...
- Medical Terminology for Medical Coders This medical terminology course for medical coders covers the medical terminology used by professional medical coders in today's healthcare industry. We'll start with the very basics of medical terminology, reviewing word roots, prefixes, and suffixes th...
- Careers in Healthcare Whenever the field of medicine is mentioned, people generally think about doctors and nurses. In fact, not that many years ago, those medical practitioners just about covered the subject. In recent years, however, the field has grown beyond imagination. ...
- Medical Transcription 101 With the opportunities to work in the healthcare field, particularly that within the Medical Transcriptionist (MT) arena, foreseen to be on the rise for the next ten years; it makes a great deal of sense to acquire specialized training within the field. ...
- Nursing Assistant Career Overview Becoming a Nursing Assistant is one way to have a career in the healthcare field without spending tens of thousands of dollars and years of your life on a college education. In this course, you'll learn exactly what a Nursing Assistant is and the duti...
- Medical Assistant 101: Career Overview Medical assisting is a relatively new career choice, and it is a booming industry. With the current economic crisis, many health care providers are looking for talented and willing individuals to train with them as assistants to help them care for more p...
- Vegetarianism 101: How to Be a Vegetarian Are you curious about vegetarianism or thinking about becoming a vegetarian? You are not alone! Millions of people have made the switch to vegetarianism. Why? Because there are so many benefits, including for your health, the planet, and the animals! Th...
- Retirement Planning Retirement for many of us can already be a fact of life. For others, it is looming on the horizon and the closer we get the more uneasy we feel about that next step. We are filled with questions about just how we will pay for our retirement. What will...
- Medical Office Procedures 101 Medical Office Procedures is a course that's designed to help those interested in setting up a medical office or who want to learn how to manage their current medical office more efficiently. With 20 different lessons, this course takes learners from the...
- End of Life Care When it comes to end of life care there are many issues that the patient and family members will go through emotionally, physically, and spiritually. At the very moment a patient is diagnosed with a serious illness, everyone is left with questions, conc...
- Caring for Patients with HIV/AIDS 101 Although there is not a cure, gaining an understanding of HIV/AIDs can increase the patient's chances of living a longer and healthier life. There are many misconceptions about this serious virus including many believing that death is soon to follow. Alt...