Online Class: Book Publishing 101
with CEU Certificate*
This course will explore what you need to do to transition from a completed manuscript or nonfiction book idea to book publication, including traditional avenues, options in self-publication, and even ebook applications. It includes everything you need to know about crafting the perfect query letter, creating a nonfiction book proposal, and even what to do in the face of rejection letters. With a comprehensive list of resources to top it all off, there is no better place to turn for learning how to get your book on the shelves and into the hands of readers.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More Information
Lesson 1. Getting Ready for PublicationLearn how to properly prepare a manuscript for presentation to a literary agent or editor.
Lesson 2. Literary AgentsLearn how a literary agent works, and how to choose a good one.
Lesson 3. Landing an AgentLanding an agent is not easy, but this lesson will help offer advice for getting noticed.
Lesson 4. Crafting a Fiction QueryThis lesson explains the major components of a well written query letter.
Lesson 5. The Nonfiction ProcessLearn the difference between a fiction and a nonfiction book proposal in this lesson.
Lesson 6. Big Publishing HousesUnderstanding what major publishing houses expect and how to meet their requirements is discussed in this lesson.
Lesson 7. Small PublishersLearn what types of books smaller houses publish and how to approach them.
Lesson 8. Handling RejectionLearn how to handle rejection professionally and positively.
Lesson 9. Getting noticed in the Book CommunityLearn how to get your book noticed by literary agents and others in the book publishing industry.
Lesson 10. About Self-PublicationLearn the difference between self-publication and POD publishing and its drawbacks and benefits.
Lesson 11. The Realities of Self-PublishingLearn about special requirements or tasks someone who self-publishes may need to know.
Lesson 12. e-Bookse-Books and electronic reading devices are growing more popular. This lesson explains what they are and how they can help you publish
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- Describe the details of preparing a work for publication.
- Summarize the role and purpose of Literary Agents.
- Describe the procedures to landing an agent.
- Demonstrate writing a fiction query.
- Distinguish the differences between big publishing houses and small publisher.
- Summarize the techniques used to better handle rejection.
- Describe the pros and cons of self-publishing.
- Determine whether or not e-books is right for your publication, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 1: Getting Ready for Publication||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 2: Literary Agents||Exam||10|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||30|
|Quiz for Lesson 3: Landing an Agent||Exam||9|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 4: Crafting a Fiction Query||Exam||10|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||35|
|Quiz for Lesson 5: The Nonfiction Process||Exam||10|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 6: Big Publishing Houses||Exam||10|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||30|
|Quiz for Lesson 7: Small Publishers||Exam||10|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 8: Handling Rejection||Exam||10|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 9: Getting Noticed in the Book Community||Exam||10|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 10: About Self-Publication||Exam||10|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 11: The Realities of Self-Publishing||Exam||10|
|Lesson 12 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 12: eBooks||Exam||9|
|The Final Exam||Exam||59|
- "Thought the course was great! Felt like I learned a lot!" -- Kimber C.
- "There were many aspects of the publishing process I only had sketchy information on, or misinformation altogether. This course was highly informative." -- Scott W.
- "As an author I found this so helpful in ways to allow me to self-publish." -- Ryan R.
- "Instructor was awesome." -- Gary H.
- "Every lesson was very helpful. The instructor was knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with." -- Cynthia S.
- "Excellent instructor." -- Lee K.
- "All parts were extremely helpful. I learned a lot. Love UniversalClass courses! The ability to go at my own pace is WONDERFUL!" -- Donna N.
- View More Testimonials...