Online Class: Book Publishing 101
with CEU Certificate*
Course DescriptionGetting a book published can be one of the most exciting things you will ever do. It can also be one of the most frustrating. Not only is the book industry incredibly specific about how they want you to go about approaching editors, literary agents, and other publishing professionals, but you have to compete with thousands of other aspiring authors.
This course will explore what you need to do to transition from a completed manuscript or nonfiction book idea to book publication, including traditional avenues, options in self-publication, and even ebook applications. It includes everything you need to know about crafting the perfect query letter, creating a nonfiction book proposal, and even what to do in the face of rejection letters. With a comprehensive list of resources to top it all off, there is no better place to turn for learning how to get your book on the shelves and into the hands of readers.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Feedback
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1. Getting Ready for PublicationLearn how to properly prepare a manuscript for presentation to a literary agent or editor.
Lesson 2. Literary AgentsLearn how a literary agent works, and how to choose a good one.
Lesson 3. Landing an AgentLanding an agent is not easy, but this lesson will help offer advice for getting noticed.
Lesson 4. Crafting a Fiction QueryThis lesson explains the major components of a well written query letter.
Lesson 5. The Nonfiction ProcessLearn the difference between a fiction and a nonfiction book proposal in this lesson.
Lesson 6. Big Publishing HousesUnderstanding what major publishing houses expect and how to meet their requirements is discussed in this lesson.
Lesson 7. Small PublishersLearn what types of books smaller houses publish and how to approach them.
Lesson 8. Handling RejectionLearn how to handle rejection professionally and positively.
Lesson 9. Getting noticed in the Book CommunityLearn how to get your book noticed by literary agents and others in the book publishing industry.
Lesson 10. About Self-PublicationLearn the difference between self-publication and POD publishing and its drawbacks and benefits.
Lesson 11. The Realities of Self-PublishingLearn about special requirements or tasks someone who self-publishes may need to know.
Lesson 12. e-Bookse-Books and electronic reading devices are growing more popular. This lesson explains what they are and how they can help you publish
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Book Publishing 101Course Number: 7550273Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: How ToCEU Value: 1.1 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $65.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $90.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the details of preparing a work for publication.
- Summarize the role and purpose of Literary Agents.
- Describe the procedures to landing an agent.
- Demonstrate writing a fiction query.
- Distinguish the differences between big publishing houses and small publisher.
- Summarize the techniques used to better handle rejection.
- Describe the pros and cons of self-publishing.
- Determine whether or not e-books is right for your publication, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
An Introduction Assignment 5 Lesson 1 Assignment Assignment 20 Quiz for Lesson 1: Getting Ready for Publication Exam 10 Lesson 2 Assignment Assignment 25 Quiz for Lesson 2: Literary Agents Exam 10 Lesson 3 Assignment Assignment 30 Quiz for Lesson 3: Landing an Agent Exam 9 Lesson 4 Assignment Assignment 20 Quiz for Lesson 4: Crafting a Fiction Query Exam 10 Lesson 5 Assignment Assignment 35 Quiz for Lesson 5: The Nonfiction Process Exam 10 Lesson 6 Assignment Assignment 20 Quiz for Lesson 6: Big Publishing Houses Exam 10 Lesson 7 Assignment Assignment 30 Quiz for Lesson 7: Small Publishers Exam 10 Lesson 8 Assignment Assignment 25 Quiz for Lesson 8: Handling Rejection Exam 10 Lesson 9 Assignment Assignment 20 Quiz for Lesson 9: Getting Noticed in the Book Community Exam 10 Lesson 10 Assignment Assignment 25 Quiz for Lesson 10: About Self-Publication Exam 10 Lesson 11 Assignment Assignment 20 Quiz for Lesson 11: The Realities of Self-Publishing Exam 10 Lesson 12 Assignment Assignment 20 Quiz for Lesson 12: eBooks Exam 9 The Final Exam Exam 59 Total Points: 472
Choose Your Subscription PlanCourse OnlyOne Course
No Certificate / No CEUs$65for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate X Includes CEUs X Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 courseCertificate CourseOne Course
Certificate & CEUs$90for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 coursePlatinum YearlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$189per yearYou save 50%!Billed once
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 12 Months No. of courses 500+Platinum MonthlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$59 first month$29.00 / each consecutive month thereafterBilled monthly
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete Monthly No. of courses 500+
- "There were many aspects of the publishing process I only had sketchy information on, or misinformation altogether. This course was highly informative." -- Scott W.
- "As an author I found this so helpful in ways to allow me to self-publish." -- Ryan R.
- "Instructor was awesome." -- Gary H.
- "Every lesson was very helpful. The instructor was knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with." -- Cynthia S.
- "Excellent instructor." -- Lee K.
- "All parts were extremely helpful. I learned a lot. Love UniversalClass courses! The ability to go at my own pace is WONDERFUL!" -- Donna N.
- "I liked the written lessons or the choice of video. This is very helpful because people learn in different ways." -- Vicki V.
- View More Testimonials...