| || || |
Learn to Read and Write Better English
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
This ESL basic grammar and writing course will provide an introduction to the basics of American English grammar and writing. We'll be covering the following topics in detail:
- review the basic English structure in the form of nouns, verbs, prepositions, adjectives and adverbs
- review the proper use of pronouns, prepositions, and conjunctions
- practice sentence structure and mastering subject-verb agreement
- cover writing basics
- improve reading comprehension
- increase your vocabulary
- learn how to write clearly and more effectively
- learn how to organize your thoughts and write a personal or business letter
Whether you are learning English as a second language or are a native speaker striving to improve your English and writing skills, using proper grammar rules and writing guidelines are essential building blocks to creating clear and understandable thought processes and ideas.
Communication is vital in today's society. It is not enough to merely be able to speak and understand spoken English. In the United States, English writing and comprehension is a necessary job skill for nearly all job industries and career paths. In order to develop practical writing skills, you must understand the basics of English grammar and sentence structure.
Knowing the proper way to communicate in a wide range of fields will help promote your self-confidence, increase your skill levels, and ensure your job advancement and promotion. This course will guide you through the basic grammar structures and rules as well as focus on improving the necessary skills leading to clear and accurate writing.
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe and recognize nouns.
- Describe and recognize verbs.
- Use pronouns properly.
- Use prepositions properly.
- Identify conjunctions.
- Demonstrate proper use of adjectives and adverbs.
- Demonstrate proper sentence structure use.
- Demonstrate correct use of punctuation, numbers and time.
- Describe methods for increasing reading comprehension.
- Summarize methods for increasing vocabulary power.
- Define basic sentence structure.
- Master subject-verb agreement
- Demonstrate writing for clarity.
- Demonstrate writing personal and business letters, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1: Introduction to ESL GrammarThe study of any language might often be frustrating and confusing. However, to make oneself understood in any area of society, one must learn how to speak correctly and properly in order to encourage job placement, career advances, and the ability to com
Lesson 2: NounsProper use of nouns will help to create clear and accurate sentence structure. This lesson will also discuss proper nouns, plural nouns, noun-verb agreements and other aspects of one of the most common and basic structures in English.
Lesson 3: VerbsVerbs express action. They can also express certain conditions or states of being. In a properly constructed English sentence, a verb is usually connected to somebody or something doing or performing the action.
Lesson 4: Using Pronouns ProperlyThis lesson will introduce and offer basic explanations and examples for the use of personal, relative, and interrogative pronouns in everyday English usage. It will also briefly cover possessive, reflexive, and intensive pronouns.
Lesson 5: Using PrepositionsPrepositions primarily describe two different types of relationships: time and place. This lesson will explain when to use a preposition, and how best to use it in a wide variety of situations.
Lesson 6: ConjunctionsThis lesson will introduce and cover the four main types of conjunctions that are commonly used in everyday scenarios. Because conjunctions join phrases, words, and sentences together, they are some of the most commonly used, but one of the least understo
Lesson 7: All About Adjectives and AdverbsAdjectives and adverbs, which help to provide description to nouns and verbs, are also known as modifiers. Modifiers are words or a group of words that help to explain about other words.
Lesson 8: Sentence Structure Know-HowWhile no one will expect your grammar to be perfect, it is important to study the basics of sentence structure in order to make yourself understood. This lesson will help English students to understand the difference between passive and active voice as we
Lesson 9: Writing BasicsWriting clear and understandable documents and papers requires knowledge of writing basics that include proper punctuation, noun-verb agreement, and attention to moods as well as avoidance of run-on sentences.
Lesson 10: Punctuation, Numbers and TimeRules for grammar and punctuation have changed over the ages, but continue to help to define standards that enable English speakers around the world to make reading the written language easier.
Lesson 11: Write What You Mean and Mean What You WriteSpeaking and writing English properly takes time and effort that many students are unwilling to put into their studies. However, speaking clearly and being able to convey ideas, thoughts, and expressions are methods of communication that can't be ignored
Lesson 12: Introduction to ESL Basic WritingLearning to create and write basic English is a requirement for many job skills and careers. Nearly every job industry in the United States requires some English-speaking and writing skills.
Lesson 13: Beginning to WriteThis lesson will cover the basics of English grammar that will help to increase reading comprehension and writing ability.
Lesson 14: Increasing Reading ComprehensionReading comprehension enables a person who is learning a language or one who wishes to improve their language skills to be able to gain more from reading in a variety of subject matters.
Lesson 15: Increasing Your Vocabulary PowerIncreasing vocabulary power is an excellent way to increase not only reading comprehension but also to increase writing capabilities and understanding.
Lesson 16: Basic Sentence StructureWhile there are many different ways a sentence may be constructed, this lesson will focus on the basics in order to help students learning English or native English speakers to improve their writing capabilities.
Lesson 17: Mastering Subject-Verb AgreementThis lesson will help to show students of English as well as native English speakers the importance of mastering subject-verb agreement in order to enhance speaking as well as writing English.
Lesson 18: Bonding BasicsConjunctions link words, phrases, sentences made up of both dependent and independent clauses. There are several different kinds of conjunctions, all of which will be explained and explored in this lesson.
Lesson 19: Writing For ClaritySometimes, it takes more than an understanding of subjects, nouns, and verbs to create clear and consistent writing.This lesson will help to illustrate common problem areas when it comes to writing and putting thought processes down on paper.
Lesson 20: Writing EffectivelyStudents of English must learn how to put their thoughts on paper and to develop concepts and ideas while at the same time observing basic structure and grammar guidelines.
Lesson 21: Writing Personal and Business LettersUnderstanding the difference between a personal and business letter and how to create each of them is the focus of this lesson.
Lesson 22: Organizing Your ThoughtsNo matter what type of document you want to write, one of the most important writing necessities is to organize your thoughts. This lesson will explore various elements of style.
|Course Title ||: ||ESL Basic Grammar and Writing |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||7550409 |
|Course Type ||: ||General Education |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $65.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
Other Related Classes in English as Second Language
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures Most of us learned spelling and grammar in elementary school and brushed up on the rules occasionally in junior high or middle school. Once we entered high school, it was assumed we knew and remembered all of the essentials -- and slowly we discovered t...
- ABCs of English Grammar This self-paced online course will provide you with a review of the grammar and writing skills necessary when taking any high school or college test, or with your everyday work-related writing and correspondence. Divided up into 15 easy-to-understand le...
- Effective Communication 101 Communication influences all factors of your life. From daily interactions with strangers on the street to the way you present yourself in the board room, the way you communicate is a reflection of who you are and the way you establish relationships with...
- Enhance Your Everyday Vocabulary Have you ever been reading a newspaper or listening to a commentary and been confronted with a word you didn't know -- like for instance, plethora ? Over the years, you've seen and heard this word 20 times but you don't quite manage to remember the defi...
- Business Writing Basics We live in world where communication is paramount to survival. In a work environment where communication is equated with the professionalism and efficiency of an individual, would you jeopardize your career because of bad writing? Do you want the embarra...
- Punctuation and Grammar 101 Do you need a refresher course in basic punctuation and grammar? Is your business writing, school writing or personal writing a disaster and you're tired of stressing over mistakes? Improper grammar and punctuation is a sign for some people, right or w...
- Spelling 101 Do you use your Spell Check on your computer obsessively? Are you afraid to write anything without a dictionary or computer spelling program? Are you receiving low grades on schoolwork because of poor spelling? Are your business emails filled with emba...
- Writing Improvement 101 We know that effective writing will help students in their coursework but it's equally important to write well in the workplace. If a job interviewer is considering two qualified candidates, the candidate who can write well will have the edge. If you're ...
- Vocabulary Building Are you interested in building your vocabulary? Do you feel that your writing or your speaking vocabulary is below average? The purpose of Vocabulary Building is to beef up your everyday vocabulary with words that you could use in everyday conversation. ...
- Essay Writing 101 Essays are a vital part of writing, both in academic circles and in many professions. Being able to write good essays is a rare ability and those that can demonstrate a mastery of this writing form will quickly distinguish themselves from those who write...
- Speed Reading 101 Speed reading provides you with the tools and information you need to improve not only the speed that you read, but your comprehension and concentration as well. Speed reading will also provide you with effective tools that you can use when you're in a p...
- ESL Basic Grammar Whether you are learning English as a second language or are a native speaker striving to improve your English and writing skills, understanding proper grammar rules and guidelines are the essential building blocks to creating clear and understandable t...
- English Composition 101 Acquiring and developing the fundamentals of English composition is a vital skill that can be used in a variety of settings and situations. Being able to competently compose an essay and organize a thesis is not only useful in academic environments, but ...
- ESL Basic Writing Skills Communication is vital in today's society. It is not enough to merely be able to speak and understand spoken English. In the United States, writing English is often a necessary skill in many job industries and fields. In order to develop practical writin...
- Basic Research Skills Basic Research Skills teaches you how to determine what you need to know when you need to know it. With all of the information readily available today, it's difficult to deciper good information from bad information. Instead of turning to an Internet se...
- Building Children's Reading Skills This course will provide the learner with a better understanding of the underlying concepts needed to improve the reading skills in children and adults. Through readings, lessons, quizzes and independent explorations, the learner will leave the course w...
- Resume Writing 101 One of the most important and intimidating steps in the job search process is writing a solid resume that gets the attention you want and need. Unfortunately, many job seekers get overwhelmed before they even get started. The result is poorly-written res...
- How to Teach Reading Fundamentals Reading is the process of absorbing the written word. Whether in English or another language, reading is an essential part of communication between human beings. Reading comprehension is the ability to process, think through and connect ideas that are ex...
- Motivational and Public Speaking 101 Public and Motivational speaking is often a cause for anxiety for millions of people, and it need not be. With the proper preparation, knowledge, and mindset, you can become an extremely effective public speaker. Public and motivational speakers are in...
- Reading Comprehension 101 Whether you are a student who is seeking to pass the reading comprehension portion of such standardized tests as the SAT, ACT, CLEP, College Placement Test, ACCUPLACER, GRE, MCAT, LSAT, or GMAT, or you need to improve your reading comprehension for work ...