Building Children's Reading Skills
with CEU Certificate*
0Studentshave taken this course
This course will provide the learner with a better understanding of the underlying concepts needed to improve the reading skills in children and adults. Through readings, lessons, quizzes and independent explorations, the learner will leave the course with more complete understanding of the development of reading skills from preschool through adulthood and begin to be able to think about specific strategies which could be utilized to increase the skills and development of anyone's reading. Websites are also provided to help the learner further explore the topics on his/her own. At the end of this unit, the learner will be able to describe some of the basic underlying principles of reading development, activities which can be incorporated to increase skill levels, and the importance of developing reading throughout life. Those undertaking this unit will also be able to demonstrate the following learning objectives:
- Students will be able to identify the purpose and value of improving reading skills.
- Students will be able to identify and define the major components of reading instruction
- Students will be able to apply strategies to improve reading skills in each of the major components of reading instruction.
- Students will be able to transfer knowledge learned about reading development into their own personal experiences or that of others to increase reading skills.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More Information
Lesson 1: The Importance of Reading Skills in SocietyThe student will be able to describe the importance and need for appropriate reading skills in current society.
Lesson 2: The Preschool YearsThe student will be able to examine the necessary reading experiences and purposes of reading for students from birth through age 5.
Lesson 3: Elementary School YearsThe student will be able to examine the necessary reading experiences, skills, and purposes for reading for students ages 5 through 12.
Lesson 4: Middle Years Through AdulthoodThe student will be able to examine the necessary reading experiences, skills, and purposes for reading for students ages 12 through adulthood.
Lesson 5: The Big Five Areas of Reading DevelopmentThe student will be able to identify, define, and describe the five critical areas in all reading instruction and development.
Lesson 6: Phonemic and Phonological AwarenessThe student will be able to identify, define, and describe what is necessary in the development of phonemic and phonological awareness.
Lesson 7: PhonicsThe student will be able to identify, define, and describe what is necessary in the development of student's phonics skills.
Lesson 8: VocabularyThe student will be able to identify, define, and describe what is necessary in the development of a student's vocabulary skills.
Lesson 9: Reading FluencyThe student will be able to identify, define, and describe what is necessary in the development of student's fluency skills.
Lesson 10: ComprehensionThe student will be able to identify, define, and describe what is necessary in the development of a student's comprehension skills.
Lesson 11: Readers Who Are Struggling or May Be Learning-DisabledThe student will be able to identify, define, and describe what may be indications a student requires additional interventions with his or her reading development.
Lesson 12: Life-Long LearningThe student will be able to integrate previous instruction in the development of reading skills to develop strategies and activities which will encourage life-long reading in students.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- Describe the importance of reading skills in society.
- Describe the methods and curriculum used to build children's reading skills in the preschool years, the elementary school years, and the middle school years through adulthood.
- Summarize the big five areas of reading development.
- Describe phonemic and phonological awareness.
- Outline the processes involved in building phonics, vocabulary, reading fluency, and reading comprehension.
- Evaluate readers who are struggling or may be learning disabled and apply appropriate techniques, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 1 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 2 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 3A Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 3 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 4 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 5 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 6 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 7 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 8 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 9 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 10 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 11 Exam||Exam||7|
|Lesson 12 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 12 Exam||Exam||8|
|The Final Exam||Exam||56|
- "It was all very helpful." -- Jody H.
- "I really appreciated that important words were underlined, and that the text on all the lessons were streamlined....You were very prompt at correcting my work, I was completing this class in a hurry and I greatly appreciated the promptness." -- Jill L.
- "I found the content and resources extremely useful. I also felt that the instructor was very responsive to my submissions. This course is one of best I have ever taken, in any venue. I again want to commend the instructor for this course." -- Sallie J.
- "The lessons were very well written and the assignments and tests captured the essence of the material." -- Cynthia T.
- "The instructor was very helpful with getting me through his course." -- Nathaniel A.
- "I really enjoyed taking this course and will certainly think about doing another one in the future." -- Margaret Joan G.