with CEU Certificate*
This course will provide the learner with a better understanding of the underlying concepts needed to improve the reading skills in children and adults. Through readings, lessons, quizzes and independent explorations, the learner will leave the course with more complete understanding of the development of reading skills from preschool through adulthood and begin to be able to think about specific strategies which could be utilized to increase the skills and development of anyone's reading. Websites are also provided to help the learner further explore the topics on his/her own. At the end of this unit, the learner will be able to describe some of the basic underlying principles of reading development, activities which can be incorporated to increase skill levels, and the importance of developing reading throughout life. Those undertaking this unit will also be able to demonstrate the following learning objectives:
- Students will be able to identify the purpose and value of improving reading skills.
- Students will be able to identify and define the major components of reading instruction
- Students will be able to apply strategies to improve reading skills in each of the major components of reading instruction.
- Students will be able to transfer knowledge learned about reading development into their own personal experiences or that of others to increase reading skills.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: The Importance of Reading Skills in SocietyThe student will be able to describe the importance and need for appropriate reading skills in current society.
Lesson 2: The Preschool YearsThe student will be able to examine the necessary reading experiences and purposes of reading for students from birth through age 5.
Lesson 3: Elementary School YearsThe student will be able to examine the necessary reading experiences, skills, and purposes for reading for students ages 5 through 12.
Lesson 4: Middle Years Through AdulthoodThe student will be able to examine the necessary reading experiences, skills, and purposes for reading for students ages 12 through adulthood.
Lesson 5: The Big Five Areas of Reading DevelopmentThe student will be able to identify, define, and describe the five critical areas in all reading instruction and development.
Lesson 6: Phonemic and Phonological AwarenessThe student will be able to identify, define, and describe what is necessary in the development of phonemic and phonological awareness.
Lesson 7: PhonicsThe student will be able to identify, define, and describe what is necessary in the development of student's phonics skills.
Lesson 8: VocabularyThe student will be able to identify, define, and describe what is necessary in the development of a student's vocabulary skills.
Lesson 9: Reading FluencyThe student will be able to identify, define, and describe what is necessary in the development of student's fluency skills.
Lesson 10: ComprehensionThe student will be able to identify, define, and describe what is necessary in the development of a student's comprehension skills.
Lesson 11: Readers Who Are Struggling or May Be Learning-DisabledThe student will be able to identify, define, and describe what may be indications a student requires additional interventions with his or her reading development.
Lesson 12: Life-Long LearningThe student will be able to integrate previous instruction in the development of reading skills to develop strategies and activities which will encourage life-long reading in students.
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the importance of reading skills in society.
- Describe the methods and curriculum used to build children's reading skills in the preschool years, the elementary school years, and the middle school years through adulthood.
- Summarize the big five areas of reading development.
- Describe phonemic and phonological awareness.
- Outline the processes involved in building phonics, vocabulary, reading fluency, and reading comprehension.
- Evaluate readers who are struggling or may be learning disabled and apply appropriate techniques, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 1 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 2 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 3A Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 3 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 4 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 5 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 6 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 7 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 8 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 9 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 10 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 11 Exam||Exam||7|
|Lesson 12 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 12 Exam||Exam||8|
|The Final Exam||Exam||56|
- Early Childhood Development 101$90.000.8 CEUs
- ESL Grammar Skills Level 1$95.001.0 CEUs
- Behavior Management 101$90.001.0 CEUs
- Problem Solving Strategies$60.000.6 CEUs
- Acrylic Painting 101$55.001.0 CEUs
- ABCs of English Grammar$65.001.5 CEUs
- ESL Basic Grammar and Writing$90.002.0 CEUs
- Autism 101$95.001.0 CEUs
- How To Coach Youth Basketball$55.000.6 CEUs
- Reading Comprehension 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Basic English Speaking Skills$65.001.0 CEUs
- Learning Disabilities: What You Need to Know$80.001.0 CEUs
- ABCs of Algebra$75.003.0 CEUs
- Personality Development$60.001.4 CEUs
- Essay Writing 101$80.001.1 CEUs
- Attention Deficit Disorders: ADD and ADHD$85.001.0 CEUs
- Basic Research Skills$55.000.8 CEUs
- Childhood Obesity$54.001.0 CEUs
- Basic Parenting 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Emotional and Behavioral Disorders$80.000.9 CEUs
- Autism Spectrum Disorders for Teachers$80.000.9 CEUs
- How to Write Short Stories for Children$90.001.1 CEUs
- How to Write a Short Story$90.001.1 CEUs
- Enhance Your Everyday Vocabulary$60.001.6 CEUs
- Spelling 101$55.001.1 CEUs
- Punctuation and Grammar 101$70.001.2 CEUs
- Vocabulary Building$60.001.0 CEUs
- Speed Reading 101$60.000.9 CEUs
- English Composition 101$65.001.1 CEUs
- How to Teach Reading Fundamentals$60.001.1 CEUs
- Unit Studies 101$60.001.0 CEUs