Online Class: Writing Improvement 101
We know that effective writing will help students in their coursework but it's equally important to write well in the workplace.
Self-Paced, Online Class
Fulton County Library System
We know that effective writing will help students in their coursework but it's equally important to write well in the workplace. If a job interviewer is considering two qualified candidates, the candidate who can write well will have the edge. If you're interested in improving your basic writing beyond correct grammar and punctuation, this course will help you. The more you write, the more confidence you will have in your abilities as a writer.
The best grammar and punctuation in the world can still produce average or even poor writing if you don't know how to use the sentences properly or which type of sentence works best to get your point across. By the same token, if you can write lyrical sentences but you string them together into paragraphs that are a tangled mess, the sense and impact of each sentence is lost.
This course is designed to give students the most flexibility and independence. You set your own schedule and learn at your convenience. Just because this course is online doesn't mean you're left on your own. The instructor will be reviewing and grading assignments and is always available to answer questions through email.
This course assumes you have a high school reading and writing level in English, and that you understand sentence structure, grammar and punctuation.
Lesson 1: Introduction to Writing ImprovementIntroduction to Writing Improvement
Lesson 2: Refining Your SentencesThis lesson describes how to make sentences more interesting by using phrases, combining sentences, and using conjunctions.
Lesson 3: Paragraph StructureFor any narrative, whether a research paper, report, or story, the sentences need to be grouped together into discernible units that organize the information properly in order to make sense.
Lesson 4: Types of ParagraphsUnderstanding how expository, descriptive, and narrative paragraphs should be written will improve your ability to clearly get your point across.
Lesson 5: Show. Don't Tell.When you show instead of merely telling, you bring the reader into your words.
Lesson 6: Point of ViewThere are just three basic point-of-view approaches: first person, third person, and omniscient.
Lesson 7: Writing DialogueIn order to write vivid dialogue, there are several writing conventions you can use.
Lesson 8: Interior MonologueIt takes skill and knowledge of writing that surpasses the average hobbyist or amateur to make your writing stand out.
Lesson 9: ProportionYou do not want to give too many details to unimportant events, or fill scenes with so many details that the story does not move forward.
Lesson 10: SophisticationThis lesson discusses how to take what you have written and make it sound as sophisticated as the works of professional writers.
Lesson 11: Substitutions for Poor PhrasingPoor phrasing is often the difference between good writing and great writing. Here are some examples of alternatives.
Lesson 12: ProofreadingA good writer knows that no one gets it right the first time through any manuscript.
Lesson 13: Additional Writing ResourcesHere is a list of books that cover additional writing styles, tips, and guidelines.
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Refine sentences.
- Create logical paragraph structures.
- Write by showing and not telling.
- Describe point of view and use it appropriately.
- Write dialog.
- Demonstrate writing interior monologue.
- Demonstrate writing proportionately and with sophistication.
- Identify poor phrasing and use appropriate substitutions.
- Demonstrate proofreading skills.
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Course Title: Writing Improvement 101
Course Number: 57700124
Lessons Rating: 4.3 / 5 Stars (2,318 votes)
Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countries
Availability: This course is online and available in all 50 states including: California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Texas.
Last Updated: July 2022
Course Type: Self-Paced, Online Class
CEU Value: 1.4 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)
CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).
Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earned.
Assessment Method: Lesson assignments and review exams
Instructor: April Graves
Syllabus: View Syllabus
- "The instructor was very encouraging. The course seemed to touch on areas necessary to continue my learning." -- Philip V.
- "The instructor is fantastic. It would be great if I could have received any constructive criticism in my writings, to learn where I may be making mistakes. Ms. St. Val is an expert teacher with a in-depth knowledge of writing. I highly recommend her classes." -- Christine B.
- "This course was absolutely amazing, especially for those who have a foundation in writing knowledge but want to continue to grow." -- Cheyenne R.
- "I would like to take this time to thank My instructor, Daphanee St.Val. She brought out the best in me with the instructions and directions and comments, She gave, in the lessons of The Improving Your writing 101, course. Thank You, Teacher Annette." -- Annette W.
- "Both the course and the instructor was great. I learned a lot and appreciated having someone watching over me and correcting me when I'm wrong. The instructor was attentive, knowledgable, and available when you needed her. I couldn't have asked for a better teacher." -- Lori D.
- "The course was amazing and the instructor was fantastic." -- Heidi P.
- "I appreciated the interaction with the Instructor by email and the grading process." -- Diana T.
- "I valued the instructor's feedback, and she answered my questions in a timely manner." -- Stephanie S.
- "I found just about everything helpful. The instructor was first-rate. She was very helpful! Thanks!" -- Anita K.
- "Very helpful and understanding instructor...All good..." -- David G.
- 9 hours 0.9 CEUs Nonfiction Writing 101 + More Info
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Marketing Copywriter 101 + More Info
- 12 hours 1.2 CEUs Romance Writing + More Info
- 17 hours 1.7 CEUs Poetry Writing 101 + More Info
- 14 hours 1.4 CEUs Report Writing 101 + More Info
- 11 hours 1.1 CEUs Journaling and Memoir Writing + More Info
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Teaching Grammar to ESL Students + More Info
- 12 hours 1.2 CEUs Screenwriting 101 + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Writing the Great American Short Story + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Understanding Learning Styles + More Info
- 11 hours 1.1 CEUs Proofreading and Copyediting 101 + More Info
- 11 hours 1.1 CEUs How to Write a Short Story + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Spelling 101 + More Info
- 29 hours 2.9 CEUs Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures + More Info
- 11 hours 1.1 CEUs Punctuation and Grammar 101 + More Info
- 14 hours 1.4 CEUs Creative Writing for Beginners + More Info
- 11 hours 1.1 CEUs Writing Effective Emails in the Workplace + More Info
- 23 hours 2.3 CEUs Historical Fiction Writing + More Info
- 12 hours 1.2 CEUs How to Write Case Studies + More Info
- 9 hours 0.9 CEUs Resume Writing 101 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Writing Women's Fiction + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Creative Thinking + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Innovative Thinking + More Info
- 11 hours 1.1 CEUs How to Write Short Stories for Children + More Info
- 22 hours 2.2 CEUs Novel Writing 101 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Speed Reading 101 + More Info
- 10 hours 1.0 CEUs Travel Writing 101 + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Critical Thinking + More Info
- 12 hours 1.2 CEUs Writing Effective Persuasion + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Freelance Writing 101 + More Info
- 11 hours 1.1 CEUs Humor Writing 101 + More Info
- 14 hours 1.4 CEUs Creative Writing Workshop + More Info
- 12 hours 1.2 CEUs Advertising, Marketing and Sales Writing + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Basic Research Skills + More Info
- 16 hours 1.6 CEUs Advertising Copywriter + More Info