with CEU Certificate*
In today's world it is more important than ever to understand how to draw meaning from what you read. Students and employees are actually required to read more than they ever have in the past--how-to books, technical manuals, and on-line reading resources. In order to position yourself at the top of your organization or the top of your class, learning to read with greater comprehension is a skill that will set you apart from the competition.
Whether you already like to read and simply want to sharpen your skills, or you find that you struggle with reading comprehension and speed, this course has something for everyone. It has been said that reading one book a month every month for five years on a particular topic will position you in the marketplace as an expert. What if you were able to accelerate that speed by reading two books a month for two and a half years, or four books a month for 1.25 years?
Reading is power. Learning to read faster, more accurately, and with greater comprehension is a skill that you need in today's competitive world.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: What Is Reading ComprehensionReading is a skill by which we can learn just about anything. The better you read and understand what you read, the better you will do in school, in your job, and ultimately in your life.
Lesson 2: The Four Modes of ReadingJust about everyone who complains of not being able to understand or comprehend what they just read suffers from one of four basic problems.
Lesson 3: Pre-Reading TechniquesThis lesson will focus on how to approach reading technical materials, textbooks, manuals, etc.
Lesson 4: Paragraph StructureReading comprehension is built upon attaching bits of new material to things that you already know. Using pre-reading techniques helps you to develop these connections.
Lesson 5: Types of Reading MaterialAs you evaluate your reading habits and purposes, you will discover there are a number of reasons for reading anything.
Lesson 6: Develop Ability to Anticipate and PredictImproving your comprehension is based on the way you approach your material.
Lesson 7: VocabularyOne of the very best ways to prepare for a reading comprehension exam, or to improve your overall reading comprehension, is to work to improve your vocabulary.
Lesson 8: Common Organizational PatternsWhen you begin to understand the organizational nature of material that you are reading, you can begin to anticipate its flow.
Lesson 9: AnnotationBeing an interactive reader means you approach your reading with questions in your mind.
Lesson 10: Main Idea/ThemeThe main idea of any reading is learned by reading with a questioning mind to determine what the author is trying to say to you.
Lesson 11: Anticipation in ReadingIn this lesson, we will discuss three specific methods of presenting information that requires you to interact with the author.
Lesson 12: Writing StylesSome reading situations require that you figure out what the writer is trying to say by understanding the cause (the person or thing that makes something happen) and the resulting effect (the thing that happens as a result of the cause.)
Lesson 13: PerspectiveThis lesson deals with perspective, or point of view, a strategy that writers use to more accurately convey their meaning to their readers.
Lesson 14: Language and StyleThis lesson will cover one more aspect of reading comprehension, language and style, before we move on to improving your reading speed, which will help you get through some of the mandatory reading you're required to do for either school or your job.
Lesson 15: Increasing Your Reading Speed - ILearning speed-reading techniques applies to people who need to increase their reading speed.
Lesson 16: Increasing Your Reading Speed - IISpeed-reading is best done when you start with material that is easy for you to read, where it may not matter quite as much how much of the material you comprehend.
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define what reading comprehension is.
- Describe the four modes of reading.
- Describe pre-reading techniques.
- Summarize types of reading material.
- Develop the ability to anticipate and predict.
- Recognize common organizational patterns in reading materials.
- Define annotation and main idea/theme.
- Recognize different writing styles and how to address your comprehension needs.
- Summarize perspective, language and style when increasing your comprehension in reading.
- Identify techniques you can use to increase your reading speed and overall comprehension, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 1: 20- Minute Reading||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 1 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 2: 20-Minute Reading (Practice a Speed reading Technique for 20 minutes)||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 2 Exam||Exam||7|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 3 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 4: 20-Minute Reading (Practice Advanced Pre Viewing Techniques with Paragraphs)||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 4 Exam||Exam||7|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 5: 20-Minute Reading (Practice Reading Technical Material )||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 5 Exam||Exam||5|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 6: 20-Minute Reading (Practice Interactive Reading)||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 6 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 7: 20-Minute Reading (Practice Expanding Your Vocabulary)||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 7 Exam||Exam||7|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 8: 20-Minute Reading (Practice Identifying Organizational Structures in Readings)||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 8 Exam||Exam||7|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 9: 20-Minute Reading (Practice Annotation)||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 9 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 10: 20-Minute Reading||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 10 Exam||Exam||7|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 11: 20-Minute Reading||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 11 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 12 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 12: 20-Minute Reading (change reading material)||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 12 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 13 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 13: 20-Minute Reading||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 13 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 14 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 14: 20-Minute Reading (change reading material)||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 14 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 15 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 15: 20-Minute Reading (Practice Reading with your Peripheral Vision)||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 15 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 16 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 16 Exam||Exam||10|
|The Final Exam||Exam||54|
- Advertising, Marketing and Sales Writing$90.001.2 CEUs
- Proofreading and Copyediting 101$75.001.2 CEUs
- ABCs of English Grammar$65.001.5 CEUs
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures$90.002.9 CEUs
- Writing Improvement 101$90.001.3 CEUs
- How to Write Short Stories for Children$90.001.1 CEUs
- Enhance Your Everyday Vocabulary$60.001.6 CEUs
- Spelling 101$55.001.1 CEUs
- Punctuation and Grammar 101$70.001.2 CEUs
- Vocabulary Building$60.000.5 CEUs
- English Composition 101$65.001.1 CEUs
- How to Teach Reading Fundamentals$60.001.1 CEUs