with CEU Certificate
Do you use your Spell Check on your computer obsessively? Are you afraid to write anything without a dictionary or computer spelling program? Are you receiving low grades on schoolwork because of poor spelling? Are your business emails filled with embarrassing spelling errors? Well then, it sounds like you can use this online course!
Spelling 101 will help improve your spelling abilities in American English. This course will teach you how to avoid misspellings by recognizing spelling errors quickly. We'll review not only the basic rules of spelling but also the most common spelling "trouble spots" (commonly missed words and word patterns). We'll also discuss those tricky synonyms, antonyms, homonyms, suffixes and prefixes.
This class is self-paced and practice exercises are reviewed by the instructor with feedback. You set your own learning schedule so there's no pressure. Why not learn to write error-free English, and improve your grades or help with the quality of your professional writing? So join us today, and let's improve your spelling skills.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Introduction to Improving Your SpellingCourse Introduction
The Basic Rules of SpellingThis lesson describes how to go from singular to plurals and the exceptions to the rule.
Plural Forms for Names, Compound Words and NumbersThis lesson describes how to form plurals for compound words, numbers, and names.
Understanding "ie" Versus "ei" and Other Spelling DilemmasThis lesson discusses when to use ie or ei, and the exceptions to the rule.
Prefix and Suffix RulesThis lesson explains the rules for adding prefixes and suffixes, and the some of the most commonly used.
Homonyms - Words that Sound alikeThis lesson describes some of the most common words that sound alike but have multiple spellings and their definitions.
Commonly Misspelled WordsHere is a list of the most commonly misspelled words.
Putting It TogetherA Final Spelling Test and additional resources to improve writing are presented in this final lesson
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Summarize the basic rules of spelling.
- Demonstrate correct spelling of plural forms for names, compound words, and numbers.
- Avoid common spelling mistakes.
- Define prefix and suffix rules.
- Define homonyms.
- Identify commonly misspelled words, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Spelling Test #1||Exam||20|
|Lesson 1 Exam||Exam||11|
|Spelling Test 1-2||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 1-3||Exam||15|
|Spelling Test #2||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 2-3||Exam||20|
|Lesson 2 Exam||Exam||8|
|Spelling Test 2-1||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 2-2||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test #3||Exam||20|
|Lesson 3 Exam||Exam||8|
|Spelling Test 3-1||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 3-2||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test #4||Exam||20|
|Lesson 4 Exam||Exam||13|
|Spelling Test 4-1||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 4-2||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test #5||Exam||20|
|Lesson 5 Exam||Exam||17|
|Spelling Test 5-1||Exam||9|
|Spelling Test 5-2||Exam||10|
|Spelling Test 5-3||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test #6||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 6-1||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 6-2||Exam||15|
|Spelling Test 6-3||Exam||10|
|Final Spelling Test||Exam||50|
- Gregg Shorthand 101$70.001.5 CEUs
- ESL Grammar Level 1$60.001.0 CEUs
- Creative Writing for Beginners$90.001.0 CEUs
- Writing Women's Fiction$90.001.0 CEUs
- ABCs of English Grammar$65.001.5 CEUs
- Proofreading and Copyediting 101$75.001.2 CEUs
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures$90.002.9 CEUs
- ESL Basic Grammar and Writing$90.002.0 CEUs
- Resume Writing 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Historical Fiction Writing$90.002.3 CEUs
- Paranormal Romance Writing$90.001.0 CEUs
- Basic English Speaking Skills$65.001.0 CEUs
- Writing Improvement 101$90.001.3 CEUs
- Poetry Writing 101$90.001.7 CEUs
- Essay Writing 101$65.001.1 CEUs
- Creative Writing Workshop$90.001.3 CEUs
- Creative Writing 101$90.001.9 CEUs
- Humor Writing 101$90.001.1 CEUs
- Writing the Great American Short Story$90.000.5 CEUs
- Enhance Your Everyday Vocabulary$60.001.6 CEUs
- Punctuation and Grammar 101$70.001.2 CEUs
- Vocabulary Building$60.001.0 CEUs
- Speed Reading 101$60.000.9 CEUs
- English Composition 101$65.001.1 CEUs