Online Class: Spelling 101
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this course
Do you use your Spell Check on your computer obsessively? Are you afraid to write anything without a dictionary or computer spelling program? Are you receiving low grades on schoolwork because of poor spelling? Are your business emails filled with embarrassing spelling errors? Well then, it sounds like you can use this online course!
Spelling 101 will help improve your spelling abilities in American English. This course will teach you how to avoid misspellings by recognizing spelling errors quickly. We'll review not only the basic rules of spelling but also the most common spelling "trouble spots" (commonly missed words and word patterns). We'll also discuss those tricky synonyms, antonyms, homonyms, suffixes and prefixes.
This class is self-paced and practice exercises are reviewed by the instructor with feedback. You set your own learning schedule so there's no pressure. Why not learn to write error-free English, and improve your grades or help with the quality of your professional writing? So join us today, and let's improve your spelling skills.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Introduction to Improving Your SpellingCourse Introduction
The Basic Rules of SpellingThis lesson describes how to go from singular to plurals and the exceptions to the rule.
Plural Forms for Names, Compound Words and NumbersThis lesson describes how to form plurals for compound words, numbers, and names.
Understanding "ie" Versus "ei" and Other Spelling DilemmasThis lesson discusses when to use ie or ei, and the exceptions to the rule.
Prefix and Suffix RulesThis lesson explains the rules for adding prefixes and suffixes, and the some of the most commonly used.
Homonyms - Words that Sound alikeThis lesson describes some of the most common words that sound alike but have multiple spellings and their definitions.
Commonly Misspelled WordsHere is a list of the most commonly misspelled words.
Putting It TogetherA Final Spelling Test and additional resources to improve writing are presented in this final lesson
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Spelling 101Course Number: 7550405Languages: English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: General EducationCEU Value: 1.1 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: spellinghelp.onlineclasses.comInstructor: Daphnee St.ValSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $30.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $55.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Summarize the basic rules of spelling.
- Demonstrate correct spelling of plural forms for names, compound words, and numbers.
- Avoid common spelling mistakes.
- Define prefix and suffix rules.
- Define homonyms.
- Identify commonly misspelled words, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Introduction Assignment 1 Spelling Plurals Assignment 10 Exercise 1 Assignment 15 Exercise 2 Exam 15 Spelling Test #1 Exam 20 Lesson 1 Exam Exam 11 EXAM 1-1 Exam 15 Spelling Test 1-2 Exam 20 Spelling Test 1-3 Exam 15 Exercise 4 Exam 20 Spelling Test #2 Exam 20 Spelling Test 2-3 Exam 20 Lesson 2 Exam Exam 8 Spelling Test 2-1 Exam 20 Spelling Test 2-2 Exam 20 Spelling Test #3 Exam 20 Lesson 3 Exam Exam 8 Spelling Test 3-1 Exam 20 Spelling Test 3-2 Exam 20 Exercise 7 Exam 10 Exercise 8 Exam 10 Spelling Test #4 Exam 20 Lesson 4 Exam Exam 13 Spelling Test 4-1 Exam 20 Spelling Test 4-2 Exam 20 Exercise 9 Exam 10 Spelling Test #5 Exam 20 Lesson 5 Exam Exam 17 Spelling Test 5-1 Exam 9 Spelling Test 5-2 Exam 10 Spelling Test 5-3 Exam 20 Exercise 11 Exam 15 Exercise 12 Exam 10 Spelling Test #6 Exam 20 Spelling Test 6-1 Exam 20 Spelling Test 6-2 Exam 15 Spelling Test 6-3 Exam 10 Final Spelling Test Exam 50 Total Points: 617
- "I thought all parts were helpful because I was a horrible speller and now I'm great." -- Brandon G.
- "Thank you, this has been a great help." -- Rita M.
- "Excellent!" -- Pamela T.
- "The fact that it is self-paced and online is the very best thing because of my busy schedule. I took another course from this same instructor and I like the way things are set up." -- Suzanna S.
- "What was most helpful was learning to spell words that I haven't seen in a while." -- Karen D.
- "It helped me with words that were spelled differently but sounded the same." -- George B.
- "It was amazing that words I thought I knew how to spell were sometimes very difficult to distinguish in the spelling tests. I read a lot and thought I was a good speller. When I got back the test results, the ones I got wrong were....really!" -- Chris R.
- View More Testimonials...