Online Class: Spelling 101
with CEU Certificate*
0Studentshave taken this course
Do you use your Spell Check on your computer obsessively? Are you afraid to write anything without a dictionary or computer spelling program? Are you receiving low grades on schoolwork because of poor spelling? Are your business emails filled with embarrassing spelling errors? Well then, it sounds like you can use this online course!
Spelling 101 will help improve your spelling abilities in American English. This course will teach you how to avoid misspellings by recognizing spelling errors quickly. We'll review not only the basic rules of spelling but also the most common spelling "trouble spots" (commonly missed words and word patterns). We'll also discuss those tricky synonyms, antonyms, homonyms, suffixes and prefixes.
This class is self-paced and practice exercises are reviewed by the instructor with feedback. You set your own learning schedule so there's no pressure. Why not learn to write error-free English, and improve your grades or help with the quality of your professional writing? So join us today, and let's improve your spelling skills.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More Information
Introduction to Improving Your SpellingCourse Introduction
The Basic Rules of SpellingThis lesson describes how to go from singular to plurals and the exceptions to the rule.
Plural Forms for Names, Compound Words and NumbersThis lesson describes how to form plurals for compound words, numbers, and names.
Understanding "ie" Versus "ei" and Other Spelling DilemmasThis lesson discusses when to use ie or ei, and the exceptions to the rule.
Prefix and Suffix RulesThis lesson explains the rules for adding prefixes and suffixes, and the some of the most commonly used.
Homonyms - Words that Sound alikeThis lesson describes some of the most common words that sound alike but have multiple spellings and their definitions.
Commonly Misspelled WordsHere is a list of the most commonly misspelled words.
Putting It TogetherA Final Spelling Test and additional resources to improve writing are presented in this final lesson
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- Summarize the basic rules of spelling.
- Demonstrate correct spelling of plural forms for names, compound words, and numbers.
- Avoid common spelling mistakes.
- Define prefix and suffix rules.
- Define homonyms.
- Identify commonly misspelled words, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Spelling Test #1||Exam||20|
|Lesson 1 Exam||Exam||11|
|Spelling Test 1-2||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 1-3||Exam||15|
|Spelling Test #2||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 2-3||Exam||20|
|Lesson 2 Exam||Exam||8|
|Spelling Test 2-1||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 2-2||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test #3||Exam||20|
|Lesson 3 Exam||Exam||8|
|Spelling Test 3-1||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 3-2||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test #4||Exam||20|
|Lesson 4 Exam||Exam||13|
|Spelling Test 4-1||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 4-2||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test #5||Exam||20|
|Lesson 5 Exam||Exam||17|
|Spelling Test 5-1||Exam||9|
|Spelling Test 5-2||Exam||10|
|Spelling Test 5-3||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test #6||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 6-1||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 6-2||Exam||15|
|Spelling Test 6-3||Exam||10|
|Final Spelling Test||Exam||50|
- "It was amazing that words I thought I knew how to spell were sometimes very difficult to distinguish in the spelling tests. I read a lot and thought I was a good speller. When I got back the test results, the ones I got wrong were....really!" -- Chris R.
- "It was a fun course to take and not too difficult." -- Dawn L.
- "The instructor was very nice." -- Issac D.
- "The whole course was helpful.. The instructor was very helpful and helped me a great deal." -- Marlis W.
- "I thought all parts were helpful because I was a horrible speller and now I'm great." -- Brandon G.
- "Thank you, this has been a great help." -- Rita M.
- "Excellent!" -- Pamela T.
- View More Testimonials...