Ancient Civilizations 101
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this courseLoading...
Studying ancient civilizations is one of the most fascinating areas of all human history for the precise reason that it is human history. As we learn more about those who have come before us, we understand more about ourselves in this modern age and how we have come to be. From empires to city-states, the historical civilizations from around the world have each made a contribution to the development of mankind.
When we think of the major innovations that have propelled society forward: writing, the wheel, fire, brass, bronze, iron, electricity, indoor plumbing, and so forth, it is important to remember that each of these was a significant technological innovation, discovered hundreds or even thousands of years ago. Likewise, the indelible influence of certain ancient civilizations on modern aesthetics, ethics, religion, politics, and conventions can also be felt today.
This course will provide a general introduction to several of the most prominent ancient civilizations from across the globe, introducing the student to the most salient features of each and examining its major influences on those who came later on. To paraphrase the late philosopher, George Santayana, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it". So as it is with any historical study--what we can learn from earlier men and women can benefit us today.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: Ancients for ModernsOne of the most interesting topics to study is ancient civilizations By looking at the cultures that have come before us, we can understand more about ourselves.
Lesson 2: Sumer and the Mesopotamian CivilizationsMost scholars agree that the city-states that arose within the Fertile Crescent, collectively known as Sumer, comprise the earliest known civilization on Earth.
Lesson 3: Ancient Egypt, Part IBy far, one of the most influential civilizations of the ancient world was Egypt. Their culture, architecture, and writings are well known even today, with new discoveries being made each year.
Lesson 4: Ancient Egypt, Part IIThis lesson delves into the history of the New Kingdom as well as the significant achievements of ancient Egypt as a whole and their influence on world culture and civilization.
Lesson 5: Phoenicia and MinoaAs civilizations spread westward from the fertile lands of Mesopotamia, other cultures began to emerge along the eastern Mediterranean Sea and beyond. This lesson will provide a brief overview of each of these important cultures and explain why they matte
Lesson 6: IsraelitesThis lesson presents a brief history of the Israelite people and their influence on world civilization.
Lesson 7: Media and Persia - Peoples of Ancient IranThis lesson focuses on the empires of the Medes and Persians and their influence on world history.
Lesson 8: Ancient Greece, Part IThis lesson describes the beginnings of ancient Greece and the rise of the city-states of Athens and Sparta.
Lesson 9: Ancient Greece, Part IIThis lesson is a continuation of the overview of the history of ancient Greece, focusing on the unique cultures of Athens and Sparta. We will also look at their unified struggle against the invading Persian Empire.
Lesson 10: Ancient Greece, Part IIIThis final lesson on Ancient Greece will conclude our study of their culture and contributions to world history. The lesson will include notes regarding the wars between Athens and Sparta, as well as the major Greek deities, philosophers, playwrights, pol
Lesson 11: Rome, Part I - Long Live the Republic!This lesson discusses the world-wide empire of Alexander the Great, the founding of Rome and the early days of the Roman Republic.
Lesson 12: Rome, Part II - The Punic Wars and the End of the RepublicThis lesson provides an overview of this period of Rome's history, along with the rise of Julius Caesar, a transformational figure that would change Rome from a Republic to an Empire.
Lesson 13: Rome, Part III - The Roman Empire and Its LegacyThis lesson examines the golden age and fall of the Roman empire, along with its enduring legacy to world civilization.
Lesson 14: Rome, Part IV - The Legacy of RomeThis lesson focuses on the contributions of this great ancient culture that once ruled the entirety of the known world.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Ancient Civilizations 101Course Number: 7550487Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: General EducationCEU Value: 1.0 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: ancientcivilizations101.onlineclasses.comInstructor: C. Michael McKennaSyllabus: View SyllabusCourse Review: Read Editorial ReviewRequirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $50.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $75.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the background of studying the ancients for modern people.
- Summarize Sumer and the Mesopotamian Civilizations.
- Describe Ancient Egypt and their civilization.
- Summarize Phoenicia and Minoa.
- Describe Israelites in regards to ancient civilizations.
- Identify Media and Persia - Peoples of Ancient Iran.
- Summarize Ancient Greece civilizations.
- Summarize Rome and Roman ancient civilizations.
- Describe The Roman Empire and Its Legacy, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
An Introduction Assignment 5 Lesson 1 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 1 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 2 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 2 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 3 Assignment Assignment 15 Lesson 3 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 4 Assignment Assignment 50 Lesson 4 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 5 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 5 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 6 Assignment Assignment 15 Lesson 6 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 7 Assignment Assignment 15 Lesson 7 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 8 Assignment Assignment 15 Lesson 8 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 9 Assignment Assignment 15 Lesson 9 Exam Exam 7 Lesson 10 Assignment Assignment 15 Lesson 10 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 11 Assignment Assignment 15 Lesson 11 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 12 Assignment Assignment 15 Lesson 12 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 13 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 13 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 14 Assignment Assignment 15 Lesson 14 Exam Exam 10 The Final Exam Exam 61 Total Points: 468
- "This course helped me earn the CEUs needed to maintain my teacher licensure." -- Melissa M.
- "I have really been enjoying my time on the course I am taking. My instructor is very helpful and knowledgable." -- Tonya H.
- "The instructor is most encouraging, and I felt comfortable she would be there if a needed her. I did not ask her questions. I needed to deal with the challenge myself. As I explained previously I loved the challenge of the research. Thank you for this wonderful opportunity." -- Anne S.
- "Very convienient, easy to navigate around....Please thank the Instructor for a very good course." -- David H.
- "I enroll in online courses to improve my thinking skills, to organize materials in order to answer sujective questions. I am a senior citizen, so the courses I complete are for my own benefit and my avid interest in acquiring new information.History has always been my favorite subject. This course refreshed my mind with information that I had long ago forgotten This has been a very rewarding ecxperience for me....Instructor was very prompt in grading my assignments. She has organized all the lessons in a very efficient way for the learner. I highly recommend this course for all people who wish to gain new insight into the ancient world and to acquire a deep appreciation for their many contributions. If not for these ancient cultures where would the world be today?" -- Sara H.
- "This istructor is one of the Best. I have learned a lot, this is very uplifting and informative. Thank you very much!!!" -- Sophie S.