- Exactly what proofreading and copyediting will entail.
- The tools you need to be an efficient proofreader or copyeditor.
- The basic skills you need to learn, taught to you in an easy-to-understand manner.
- Step-by-step instruction on how to proofread or copyedit.
- How to apply your newly learned skills.
- Tips to make you a professional proofreader or copyeditor with just a little practice.
- How to proofread and copyedit different kinds of writing such as fiction, blogs and articles.
- How to proofread and copyedit your own work.
- How to secure employment as a proofreader or copyeditor.
- How to start your own proofreading or copyediting business upon completion of the course.
- Current salary information.
- Practice exercises to implement your new skills.
This course is designed for everyone, regardless of education, experience, or background. No matter who you are or what you want to achieve in life, gaining proofreading and copyediting skills will improve your written communications, help you think more clearly, and perhaps start you on the road to a brand new career.
There are no educational requirements for taking this course other than a high school reading and writing level in English. All course information will be given online so there are no required books or other materials to purchase.
Ø How you can use proofreading and copyediting skills in your career.
Ø Definition and an understanding of the importance of style guides and sheets
Ø Familiarity with the different style guides available and to recognize the importance of the guide that you use in relation to the content of text.
Ø How to create and use a style sheet as a copyeditor or proofreader.
Ø What proofreaders' marks are and how to use them to copyedit or proofread bodies of work.
Ø Proofreader tasks
Ø How to be an efficient and capable proofreader.
Ø How to copyedit different types of copy and acquire tips to help you be a more effective copyeditor.
Ø How to successfully copyedit and proofread your own work.
Ø Knowledge of the skills and education requirements needed to work as a proofreader or copyeditor within a company or as a freelancer
All course materials are provided within the course lessons.
80 - 89 % = B
70 - 79 % = C
Below 70 = F
Each lesson will be followed with a related exam and assignment so students can test comprehension of lesson material.
Lesson 1: Introduction to Proofreading and Copyediting
Lesson 2: The Use of Style Sheets and Style Guides in Proofreading and Copyediting
Lesson 3: Finding the Appropriate Style Guides
Lesson 4: How to Create and Use a Style Sheet
Lesson 5: Proofreaders' Marks and How They Are Used to Copyedit and Proofread
Lesson 6: Your Job as a Proofreader
Lesson 7: How to Proofread
Lesson 8: Proofreading Practice
Lesson 9: The Job of a Copyeditor
Lesson 10: How to Copyedit
Lesson 11: Copyediting Practice
Lesson 12: How to Copyedit or Proofread Your Own Work
Lesson 13: Copyediting or Proofreading as a Career
|Assignment 1: Proofreading and Copyediting||20|
|Lesson 1 Exam||8|
|Assignment 2: Style Sheets and Style Guides||40|
|Lesson 2 Exam||10|
|Assignment 3: Print and Online Style Guides||30|
|Lesson 3 Exam||9|
|Assignment 4: Creating Style Sheets||45|
|Lesson 4 Exam||10|
|Assignment 5: Proofreaders' Marks||40|
|Lesson 5 Exam||9|
|Assignment 6: Proofreader's Responsibilities||30|
|Lesson 6 Exam||9|
|Assignment 7: Proofreading Tips||40|
|Lesson 7 Exam||9|
|Assignment 8: Proofreading Practice||45|
|Lesson 8 Exam||9|
|Assignment 9: Copyeditor Job Types||40|
|Lesson 9 Exam||10|
|Assignment 10: Copyediting Newspapers and Magazines||30|
|Lesson 10 Exam||10|
|Assignment 11: Copyediting Practice||40|
|Lesson 11 Exam||7|
|Assignment 12: Copyediting Your Own Work||40|
|Lesson 12 Exam||8|
|Assignment 13: Education and Skills of Proofreader/Copyeditor||40|
|Lesson 13 Exam||6|
- How to Effectively Edit and Proofread Your Own Work
- Proofreading Help: How to Create and Use a Stylesheet
- Proofreading Help: How to Use Proofreaders' Marks
- The Relationship between the Workplace and Emotional Intelligence
- Writing Help: How to Properly Write Great and Enticing Dialogue for Your Story
- Managing Productivity and Effectiveness Business Meetings
- How to Polish Your Writing to be Sophisticated and Professional
- An Effective Number of Business Meetings
- Developing Good Project Management Skills as a Technical Writer
- Emotional Intelligence: Mixed Model
- What are Homonyms?
- Writing Improvement: Proportion Your Writing Details for Impact
- How Stress and Procrastination Can Inhibit Concentration