In this course, you will gain a thorough understanding of HIPAA- the "Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act". Included are modules explaining the legislative origin of HIPAA, which providers are covered under the act, as well as the steps necessary to protect patient information and request disclosures.
In addition, we will examine the measures needed to maintain HIPAA compliance and understand the compliance auditing, violation and investigation processes. We will also present some case studies of patients who have complained of HIPAA violations, which resulted in lawsuits and fines for the providers.
Lesson 1: HIPAA Policy Background
Lesson 2: Covered Entities under HIPAA
Lesson 3: What is Protected Health Information?
Lesson 4: Sharing PHI without Patient Notification
Lesson 5: Obtaining Patient Authorization
Lesson 6: Understanding Minimum Necessary
Lesson 7: Publicizing HIPAA Compliance and Informing Patients
Lesson 8: Patient Rights and Access to PHI
Lesson 9: Administrative Requirements of Adhering to HIPAA
Lesson 10: HIPAA's Administrative Simplification Regulations
Lesson 11: Enforcement and Penalties
Lesson 12: HIPAA in Action
Each lesson will include a lesson review quiz along with one assignment. Students will successfully complete this course by mastering all learning outcomes with 70% or higher overall grade.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||5|
|Lesson 1 Exam||9|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||5|
|Lesson 2 Exam||10|
|Lesson 3 Exam||10|
|Lesson 4 Exam||10|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||2|
|Lesson 5 Exam||10|
|Lesson 6 Exam||10|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||2|
|Lesson 7 Exam||10|
|Lesson 8 Exam||10|
|Lesson 9 Exam||10|
|Lesson 10 Exam||10|
|Lesson 11 Exam||10|
|Lesson 12 Exam||10|
|The Final Exam||35|
- What is HIPAA?
- Who is Covered under HIPAA?
- What Is Protected Health Information (PHI)?
- How to Adhere to HIPAA
- Adhering to HIPAA Administrative Requirements
- Home-based Patient Care Advocacy
- A Closer Look at the Physical Health of Seniors
- A Career as a Medical Assistant
- Health Issues and Potential Complications of Diabetes and the Elderly
- Information About HIV: A Concise Overview
- Dealing with the Life Changes of a Diabetic
- A Closer Look at Aging (The Psycholigical Factors)
- Ways to Manage Asthma
- HIV Infection: Tips for Prevention
- Awareness of the Red Flags in Elderly Advocacy