| || || |
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
This course will provide the learner with a better understanding of the underlying concepts of geometry. Through readings, lessons, quizzes and independent explorations, the learner will leave the course with more complete understanding of geometry and begin to be able to think in a geometrical fashion. Websites are also provided to help the learner further explore the topics on his/her own. At the end of this unit, the learner will be able to describe some of the basic premises behind geometric thinking, reasoning and study. They will also be able to demonstrate the following learning objectives:
Objectives (based on the Van Hiele levels of geometric thought):
- Students will be able to demonstrate the ability identify the ways geometry is used by people in their daily lives (i.e. professions, synthetic universe, natural universe, in the home, etc...)
- Students will be able to recognize and name figures (triangle, square, rectangle, rhombus, parellelogram, polygon, pentagon, hexagon, octagon, kite, rectangular and triangular pyramids, prisms, cone, sphere) [Level 0 Visualization]
- Students will be able to analyze various properties of shapes (i.e. right angles, parallel sides, number of sides, number of corners, etc...) [Level 1 Analysis]
- Students will be able to construct relationships between classes of figures (i.e. rectangles are parallelograms with a right angle, etc…) [Level 2 Informal Deduction]
- Students will be able to think deductively in regards to geometrical concepts. [Level 3 and 4 Deduction/Rigorous Proof]
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Recognize the role of Geometry in the real world.
- Recognize geometric shapes.
- Understand tessellations.
- Apply the concept of symmetry in geometry.
- Recognize pentominoes.
- Solve geometry problems of three dimensional shapes.
- Calculate the perimeter or any shape.
- Calculate the area of any shape.
- Calculate the area of three dimensional objects.
- Understand translations, reflections, and rotations in geometry.
- Classify shapes by properties.
- Create proofs in Geometry.
- Understand how Geometry is prevalent in our universe, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1 - Geometry in Our WorldGeometry surrounds all of us, making it a safer and more productive place.
Lesson 2 - Learning All About ShapesAt the beginning of any study of geometry, one must be able to identify shapes. Many of the names of shapes are derived from how many sides, angles or how the sides relate to each other.
Lesson 3 - TessellationsA tessellation is defined as a pattern of shapes which are all closed and totally cover a surface.
Lesson 4 - SymmetrySymmetry refers to both parts of a shape or figure as having equal or matching points.
Lesson 5 - PentominoesTo create a pentomino one must connect five of the blocks on the grid together where they only touch on one side.
Lesson 6 - Three Dimensional ShapesShapes which have length, width and thickness are known as three-dimensional shapes.
Lesson 7 - PerimeterIn two-dimensional shapes, the perimeter is the distance around the shapes.
Lesson 8 - AreaThe area of an object is how much space it takes up
Lesson 9 - If-Then StatementsAn if-then statement is a statement where each part is contingent on the other.
Lesson 10 - Area of Three-Dimensional ObjectsThere are two different types of area which can be calculated for three-dimensional shapes, surface area and volume.
Lesson 11 - Translations, Reflections, RotationsThere are four types of isometries which are: translations, rotations, reflections and glide reflections.
Lesson 12 - Classifying Shapes by PropertiesThe process of drawing conclusions about shapes and theories is an important aspect of geometry.
Lesson 13 - Proofs and Abstract thinking in GeometryA proof is the process of drawing as many true conclusions about the information provided as possible to gain the narrowest viewpoint about what is presented.
Lesson 14 - Geometry in Our UniverseGeometric patterns can be found in the nonsynthetic universe and in the synthetic or man-made universe.
Lesson 15 - Geometry in ProfessionsThere are numerous professions which need to have a basic understanding of the principles of geometry in order for success within the profession.
|Course Title ||: ||ABCs of Geometry |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||7550571 |
|Course Type ||: ||High School Level |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $50.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
Other Related Classes in Mathematics
- Basic Math 101 Fear fractions no more. And learn whether to add first or multiply first in a string of operations. Whether you are struggling with basic math functions in a course today, you are taking a new job that demands understanding of math, or you simply need to...
- Pre Algebra 101 An understanding of algebra is a foundational skill to virtually all topics in higher-level mathematics, and it is useful in science, statistics, accounting, and numerous other professional and academic areas. This course builds a bridge between simple w...
- ABCs of Algebra Find out how algebra is simply a natural extension of the math you learned in elementary school. Basic Algebra is designed for all students who need a basic understanding of algebraic operations including simplifying, factoring, solving equations and ine...
- Math All-In-One (Arithmetic, Algebra, and Geometry Review) This self-paced All-In-One Math Course reviews the basics of arithmetic, algebra and geometry. This condensed course covers the following material: Arithmetic: reviewing the use of numbers, signs and symbols, how to perform various operations, how t...
- Business Math 101 This course takes you through an overview of the wonderful world of business mathematics. The course is designed for a person of any age and anywhere in the world. All that is required of the learner are a computer, a connection to the internet, a c...
- Algebra 101: Beginner to Intermediate Level Beginner to Intermediate Algebra is intended for students who need to gather a basic understanding of how to perform Algebra operations. This course will benefit current students and adult learners who need to know how to perform basic Algebra operations...
- Statistics 101 Statistics are used in a variety of contexts ranging from scientific experiments to political advertisements and beyond. Because statistics can be used to mislead, an understanding of the topic can be helpful for more than just the mathematical skills th...
- Math Preparation for the GED Test This online course will prepare you to take the Mathematics portion of the GED® (General Educational Development) test. The testing format will be explained and broken down to highlight the content this part of the exam will cover. This course will ...
- Geometry 101: Beginner to Intermediate Level Although we may not always recognize it, we use basic geometry skills regularly in everyday life. For instance, we consider whether a picture on the wall is parallel with the floor, or we calculate the area of a room when installing new carpeting. Geome...
- Applied Statistics 101 Large sets of numbers can be daunting, and characterizing them in a few words or numbers can be even more daunting. This course considers how to take data sets--whether large or small--and describe them using a few numbers (descriptive statistics). This,...