Online Class: Sewing 101
What do you enjoy about clothing? The colors? The design? The fit?
What is the most difficult part about finding clothing that falls into all three of these categories? Right, the fit. Every human being has a body shape that is just a little bit different from the person next to you. Ready-to-wear clothing manufacturers use standards or "averages" to design and produce clothing that fits the "average" person. What happens when you aren't an "average" size? Your clothing might be well designed and sport the latest in color and fabric, but it just doesn't look good on you. How do you get around that? By learning how to sew!
Sewing your own garments is really not as difficult as it may sound. This course will take you through the very basic elements of fabric choice, how to decipher the pattern envelope and instructions inside, getting to know your sewing machine and how to begin expanding your wardrobe by sewing your own clothing, or clothing for your family.
Once you finish this course, you will be able to fit patterns to your body, choose the correct size, and stitch together garments that you like and that fit you well.
So what are you waiting for? Let's get started now, because once you begin, you won't be able to stop. A pattern is just where you begin. Once you understand the basics of putting a garment together, you can change and embellish it to your heart's content. Did you see a ready-to-wear garment you like, but doesn't look good on you? Find a pattern that is similar, and create a one-of-a-kind design that fits you and only you. We'll teach you how!
Lesson One: Sewing BasicsIn this lesson we will discuss how to:
• Pins, Needles and Thread
• Scissors for cutting, clipping and other cutting tools
• The Importance of Pressing
• Staying Organized
Lesson Two: Your Sewing MachineIn this lesson we will discuss: • Types of Sewing Machines
• Anatomy of a Sewing Machine
• Bobbins and Their Problems
Lesson Three: FabricIn this lesson we will discuss: • Types of Fabric
• Warp, Weft, Nap, Right vs. Wrong Side
• Choosing Fabric for Your Garment
• Tricky Fabrics to Sew
Lesson Four: All About PatternsIn this lesson we will discuss: • Choosing a Pattern
• Deciphering the Pattern Envelope
• Fabric Plus the Extras
• Layout Deciphered
Lesson Five: Hand SewingIn the lesson we will discuss: • Threading the needle
• Decorative Touches
Lesson Six: Pattern AdjustmentsIn the lesson we will discuss: • Basic Pattern Fitting and Adjustments
• Adjusting Tops
• Adjusting Pants and Skirts
• Fitting a Pattern, Muslin Mockup
Lesson Seven: Pattern LayoutIn this lesson we will discuss: • Pattern Preparation
• Choosing the right pieces
• What the markings mean
• Cutting out the pattern
Lesson Eight: Sewing PajamasIn this lesson we will discuss: • Choosing Thread
• Seam Allowances/Finishes
• Sleeves, Gathered, or Straps
Lesson Nine: Sewing an Unlined JacketIn this lesson we will discuss: • Preparation
• Pattern Alterations
• Button Loop
Lesson 10: Sewing a Skirt – Part 1In the lesson we will discuss: • Fitting Skirts
• Pattern Layout
Lesson 11: Sewing a Skirt - Part IIIn this lesson we will discuss: • Back Vent
• Center Zipper, Finishing
• Waistband Facing, Interfacing
• Hems Around Vents
Lesson 12: Sewing a Shirt or Blouse – Part IIn this lesson we will discuss: • Pattern Markings
• Shoulder Seams
Lesson 13: Sewing a Shirt or Blouse - Part IIIn this lesson we will discuss how to: • Cuffs
Lesson 14: Sewing Pants – Part IIn this lesson we will discuss how to: • Fitting Pants
• Pattern Marking
• Center Front
• Inner/Outer Leg Seams
• Lapped Zipper
Lesson 15: Sewing Pants – Part IIIn this lesson we will discuss how to: • Lapped Zipper
• Hem – Machine Blindstitch
- Summarize sewing basics.
- Identify your sewing machine.
- Describe fabric.
- Describe all about patterns.
- Demonstrate hand sewing.
- Demonstrate pattern adjustments.
- Demonstrate pattern layout.
- Demonstrate sewing pajamas.
- Demonstrate sewing an unlined jacket.
- Demonstrate sewing a skirt.
- Demonstrate sewing a shirt or blouse.
- Demonstrate sewing pants.
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- "It was very easy to follow. I have learnt a lot of new techniques." -- Fahmida B.
- "The course material and links were very helpful." -- Mary N.
- "Lovely lady, very helpful, very experienced, I learned a lot." -- Anne J.
- "All I can say is I learned a lot. " -- Nancy H.
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs How to Start a Craft Business + More Info
- 9 hours 0.9 CEUs Watercolor Painting 101 + More Info
- 15 hours 1.5 CEUs Western Calligraphy + More Info
- 14 hours 1.4 CEUs Acrylic Painting 101 + More Info
- 14 hours 1.4 CEUs Feng Shui 101 + More Info
- 17 hours 1.7 CEUs Mixed Media Art + More Info
- 4 hours 0.4 CEUs How to Bake Cookies + More Info
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Interior Decorating Made Easy + More Info
- 9 hours 0.9 CEUs Landscaping 101 + More Info
- 9 hours 0.9 CEUs How to Decorate a Room + More Info
- 13 hours 1.3 CEUs How To Draw 101 + More Info
- 10 hours 1.0 CEUs Interior Design 101 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Soap Making 101 + More Info
- 10 hours 1.0 CEUs Sewing 101 + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Introduction to Gardening + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Home Safety + More Info
- 4 hours 0.4 CEUs Etiquette for Children and Teens + More Info
- 4 hours 0.4 CEUs Knitting 101 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Etiquette 101 + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Etiquette Consultant + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Buying and Selling Antiques and Collectibles + More Info
- 14 hours 1.4 CEUs Cake Decorating 101 + More Info