Online Class: Cryptozoology 101
The field of cryptozoology is considered a true science by some and by others it ranks somewhere in between UFOlogy and paranormal research. Our goal with this course is to provide students with the most accurate and factual information available, presenting it in an unbiased format so that students can decide for themselves if each cryptid (a creature of cryptozoology) is real, a myth, a hoax or a misidentified animal.
The course begins by introducing students to cryptozoology and examining the true definition of this interesting field of research. While many who are unfamiliar with the field may dismiss it as "ridiculous", there is a scientific basis for its merit, including the discovery and capture of animals that were once thought only to be of myth and legend, like the platypus, for instance.
Section two of the course focuses on the most popular cryptid of all time: Bigfoot. This huge, hair-covered creature has mystified mankind for centuries. Students will be able to read intriguing stories of sightings, see still photographs of evidence and read what experts have to say about Bigfoot's identity.
The third part of this course focuses on other famous cryptids, including the Loch Ness Monster, Chupacabras, Mokele-Mbembe or "living dinosaurs", and Thunderbird. Each has its own cult-like following of believers intent on proving that their beloved creature does indeed exist.
Lesson 1: What is Cryptozoology?In this section, you will learn about cryptozoology, cryptids and the basis for their study. This will include learning about some of the many zoologically-recognized animals that were once cryptids.
Lesson 2: The Foundations of CryptozoologyGiven past findings, cryptozoologists believe that the search for cryptids is not only meaningful, but is one of the most fruitful paths toward zoological discovery.
Lesson 3: Famous CryptozoologistsHere is a condensed list of some of most highly-regarded and dedicated researchers in cryptozoology.
Lesson 4: Existing Species That Were Once CryptidsHere is a list of animals now classified in zoology that were once thought to be just myths and legends.
Lesson 5: Living Species Previously Thought to be ExtinctHere is a partial list of animals that prove that there may indeed be many more animals waiting to be brought out of "extinction".
Lesson 6: What Keeps Unnamed Species Hidden?Many species may go unnoticed due to their environment and their biological makeup.
Lesson 7: Understanding BigfootIn this section, you will learn about the origin of Bigfoot and hear the stories that began the sensationalism that surrounds this creature today. The amount of sightings and evidence is massive, however, for this course we chose to focus on the informati
Lesson 8: Bigfoot EvidenceWhile no researcher has produced any skeletal remains of Bigfoot, there has been an incredible amount of evidence collected that points to the existence of Bigfoot.
Lesson 9: Sightings: Tales or Truths?The following lesson is a list of the most famous of Bigfoot sightings.
Lesson 10: Loch Ness Monster and Other Sea SerpentsThis section focuses on some of the most interesting, and equally mysterious, cryptids. For each creature, you'll find information on its origin, as well as theories, sightings and evidence to help prove or disprove its existence.
Lesson 11: ChupacabrasThis lesson discusses blood-sucking creatures and the notorious Chupacabra.
Lesson 12: Mokele-MbembeWhile these creatures are thought to spend most of their time underwater, they have been reportedly seen lifting their heads and necks up, crossing swamps and even tramping through the rainforests.
Lesson 13: ThunderbirdWhile there have been sightings of huge birds in various countries throughout the world, Thunderbirds are native to the United States.
Lesson 14: MothmanWhile it seems almost every region across the world has its own "local legend", this section focuses on those that have the biggest following and who have received the most amount of media attention. One thing is for sure, each makes for an interesting re
Lesson 15: Jersey DevilThe Jersey Devil is most often described as having the head of a horse, a long neck, skinny legs with hooves, and large bat-like wings.
Lesson 16: Dover DemonThree teenagers in Dover, Massachusetts claimed to each have a separate encounter with a creature that would later be dubbed the Dover Demon.
Lesson 17: Cryptozoology WebsitesAdditional Resources: Websites
- Define cryptozoology.
- Summarize the origins of cryptozoology.
- Summarize the famous cryptozoologists.
- Summarize the existing species that were once cryptids.
- Summarize which species were previously thought to be extinct.
- Summarize what keeps unnamed species hidden.
- Describe what bigfoot is and compare and contract various evidence of its existence.
- Summarize the history of sightings and evidence of the Loch Ness Monster.
- Summarize the history of sightings and evidence of the Chupacabra, Mokele-Mbembe, Thunderbird, Mothman, Jersey Devil, and Dover Demon.
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- "It was a lot of fun to take this course, now I know a lot more about unidentified creatures. It was fun learning about all of the tales and stories about these mysterious creatures. I had a good time taking this class." -- Dahlia G.
- "I thought this course was very good and very informative. I enjoyed how each lesson was laid out and filled with so much information." -- Shawn G.
- "The course was presented very well. The instructor was very knowledgeable and the lesson were easy to follow." -- John C.
- "This was a wonderful course. To be honest I was blown away with the fact that you actually graded the essay questions. The effort put in by the instructor was 10/10 and made the class that much better!" -- Devon M.
- "I loved how this course was presented and laid out. I learn best with the reading and reference sources." -- Kelly T.
- "I enjoyed the information that was presented! It was a good introduction to this varied topic." -- Helen L.
- "Great course. I really learned a lot." -- Jimmy B.
- "Good course!" -- Lisa S.
- "I enjoyed the course. Working on papers again brought back memories of college. Thank you." -- Thomas C.
- "I enjoyed the WebLinks. I liked the videos that were shown. It was nice to see what I had just read about." -- Thomas C.
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Metaphysics 101 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Paranormal Investigation 201 + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Anxiety Therapy 101 + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Dog Psychology 101 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Astronomy 101 + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Haunted Places + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Reiki 1st Degree + More Info
- 3 hours 0.3 CEUs Dog & Cat First Aid, Care & Maintenance + More Info
- 9 hours 0.9 CEUs Meteorology Fundamentals + More Info
- 4 hours 0.4 CEUs Chakras 101 + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Chakra Clearing + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Angel Healing + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs History of the Universe + More Info
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Pet Sitting & Dog Walking Business 101 + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Emotional Healing 101 + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Paranormal Investigation 101 + More Info
- 4 hours 0.4 CEUs Self Hypnosis 101: Reshaping Your Reality + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Auras: Viewing, Identifying, and Understanding + More Info
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Cosmology 101: A Simple Guide to the Universe + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Chakra Meditation 101 + More Info
- 12 hours 1.2 CEUs Dog Training 101: A Guide for Beginners + More Info