- OR -
with CEU Certificate*
with CEU Certificate*
Start Right Now!
Taking multiple courses? Save with our platinum program.
1.3 CEUs :: 13 Contact Hours :: Self-Paced :: Instructor Support :: 6 Month Subscription
We know that effective writing will help students in their coursework but it's equally important to write well in the workplace. If a job interviewer is considering two qualified candidates, the candidate who can write well will have the edge. If you're interested in improving your basic writing beyond correct grammar and punctuation, this course will help you. The more you write, the more confidence you will have in your abilities as a writer.
The best grammar and punctuation in the world can still produce average or even poor writing if you don't know how to use the sentences properly or which type of sentence works best to get your point across. By the same token, if you can write lyrical sentences but you string them together into paragraphs that are a tangled mess, the sense and impact of each sentence is lost.
This course is designed to give students the most flexibility and independence. You set your own schedule and learn at your convenience. Just because this course is online doesn't mean you're left on your own. The instructor will be reviewing and grading assignments and is always available to answer questions through email.
This course assumes you have a high school reading and writing level in English, and that you understand sentence structure, grammar and punctuation.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Introduction to Writing ImprovementIntroduction to Writing Improvement
Lesson 1: Refining Your SentencesThis lesson describes how to make sentences more interesting by using phrases, combining sentences, and using conjunctions.
Lesson 2: Paragraph StructureLesson 2: Paragraph Structure For any narrative, whether a research paper, report, or story, the sentences need to be grouped together into discernible units that organize the information properly in order to make sense.
Lesson 3: Types of ParagraphsUnderstanding how expository, descriptive, and narrative paragraphs should be written will improve your ability to clearly get your point across.
Lesson 4: Show. Don't TellWhen you show instead of merely telling, you bring the reader into your words.
Lesson 5: Point of ViewThere are just three basic point-of-view approaches: first person, third person, and omniscient.
Lesson 6: Writing DialogueIn order to write vivid dialogue, there are several writing conventions you can use.
Lesson 7: Interior MonologueIt takes skill and knowledge of writing that surpasses the average hobbyist or amateur to make your writing stand out.
Lesson 8: ProportionYou do not want to give too many details to unimportant events, or fill scenes with so many details that the story does not move forward.
Lesson 9: SophisticationThis lesson discusses how to take what you have written and make it sound as sophisticated as the works of professional writers.
Lesson 10: Substitutions for Poor PhrasingPoor phrasing is often the difference between good writing and great writing. Here are some examples of alternatives.
Lesson 11: ProofreadingA good writer knows that no one gets it right the first time through any manuscript.
Lesson 12: Additional Writing ResourcesHere is a list of books that cover additional writing styles, tips, and guidelines.
Average Lesson Rating: (990 votes)
13 Contact Hours
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Course Title: Writing Improvement 101
Course Number: 7550412
Languages: English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries
Course Type: General Education
CEU Value: 1.3 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)
CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).
Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earned
Assessment Method: Lesson assignments and review exams
Course URL: improveyourwriting.onlineclasses.com
Instructor: Daphnee St.Val
Syllabus: View Syllabus
Duration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!
Requirements: View Technical Requirements
Course Fee: $65.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $90.00
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Refine sentences.
- Create logical paragraph structures.
- Write by showing and not telling.
- Describe point of view and use it appropriately.
- Write dialog.
- Demonstrate writing interior monologue.
- Demonstrate writing proportionately and with sophistication.
- Identify poor phrasing and use appropriate substitutions.
- Demonstrate proofreading skills, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1.1 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 1.2 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 1.3 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 1 Exam||Exam||5|
|Lesson 2 Assignment - Paragraph Writing||Assignment||5|
|Lesson 2.1 Assignment - Exercise on Paragraph Writing||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 2.2 Assignment - Paragraph Writing||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 2 Exam||Exam||3|
|Lesson 3.1 Assignment - Narrative Paragraph||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 3.2 Assignment - Descriptive Paragraph||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 3.3 Assignment - Expository Paragraph||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 3 Exam||Exam||3|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 4 Exam||Exam||5|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 5 Exam||Exam||3|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 6.1 Assignment - Dialogue Writing||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 6.2 Assignment - Dialogue Writing||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 6 Exam||Exam||5|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 7 Exam||Exam||4|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 8 Exam||Exam||5|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 9 Exam||Exam||5|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||5|
|Lesson 11.2 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 11 Exam||Exam||5|
- Business Writing Basics$75.001.9 CEUs
- ESL Grammar Skills Level 1$95.001.0 CEUs
- Creative Writing for Beginners$90.001.0 CEUs
- Writing Women's Fiction$90.001.0 CEUs
- ABCs of English Grammar$65.001.5 CEUs
- Proofreading and Copyediting 101$75.001.2 CEUs
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures$90.002.9 CEUs
- ESL Basic Grammar and Writing$90.002.0 CEUs
- Resume Writing 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Historical Fiction Writing$90.002.3 CEUs
- Paranormal Romance Writing$90.001.0 CEUs
- Writing Effective Persuasion$60.001.2 CEUs
- Basic English Speaking Skills$65.001.0 CEUs
- Novel Writing 101$90.002.2 CEUs
- Poetry Writing 101$90.001.7 CEUs
- Essay Writing 101$80.001.1 CEUs
- Creative Writing Workshop$90.001.3 CEUs
- Basic Research Skills$55.001.0 CEUs
- ABCs of Technical Writing$65.001.1 CEUs
- Creative Writing 101$90.001.9 CEUs
- Advertising, Marketing and Sales Writing$90.001.2 CEUs
- Freelance Writing 101$90.001.2 CEUs
- Screenwriting 101$90.001.5 CEUs
- Mystery Writing$90.001.2 CEUs
- Romance Writing$90.001.2 CEUs
- Nonfiction Writing 101$90.001.2 CEUs
- Travel Writing 101$90.001.0 CEUs
- Humor Writing 101$90.001.1 CEUs
- Writing the Great American Short Story$90.000.5 CEUs
- Enhance Your Everyday Vocabulary$60.001.6 CEUs
- Spelling 101$55.001.5 CEUs