Writing Improvement 101
- OR -
with CEU Certificate*
with CEU Certificate*
Start Right Now!
Taking multiple courses? Save with our platinum program.
have taken this courseLoading...
Course DescriptionWe know that effective writing will help students in their coursework but it's equally important to write well in the workplace. If a job interviewer is considering two qualified candidates, the candidate who can write well will have the edge. If you're interested in improving your basic writing beyond correct grammar and punctuation, this course will help you. The more you write, the more confidence you will have in your abilities as a writer.The best grammar and punctuation in the world can still produce average or even poor writing if you don't know how to use the sentences properly or which type of sentence works best to get your point across. By the same token, if you can write lyrical sentences but you string them together into paragraphs that are a tangled mess, the sense and impact of each sentence is lost.This course is designed to give students the most flexibility and independence. You set your own schedule and learn at your convenience. Just because this course is online doesn't mean you're left on your own. The instructor will be reviewing and grading assignments and is always available to answer questions through email.This course assumes you have a high school reading and writing level in English, and that you understand sentence structure, grammar and punctuation.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Introduction to Writing ImprovementIntroduction to Writing Improvement
Lesson 1: Refining Your SentencesThis lesson describes how to make sentences more interesting by using phrases, combining sentences, and using conjunctions.
Lesson 2: Paragraph StructureLesson 2: Paragraph Structure For any narrative, whether a research paper, report, or story, the sentences need to be grouped together into discernible units that organize the information properly in order to make sense.
Lesson 3: Types of ParagraphsUnderstanding how expository, descriptive, and narrative paragraphs should be written will improve your ability to clearly get your point across.
Lesson 4: Show. Don't TellWhen you show instead of merely telling, you bring the reader into your words.
Lesson 5: Point of ViewThere are just three basic point-of-view approaches: first person, third person, and omniscient.
Lesson 6: Writing DialogueIn order to write vivid dialogue, there are several writing conventions you can use.
Lesson 7: Interior MonologueIt takes skill and knowledge of writing that surpasses the average hobbyist or amateur to make your writing stand out.
Lesson 8: ProportionYou do not want to give too many details to unimportant events, or fill scenes with so many details that the story does not move forward.
Lesson 9: SophisticationThis lesson discusses how to take what you have written and make it sound as sophisticated as the works of professional writers.
Lesson 10: Substitutions for Poor PhrasingPoor phrasing is often the difference between good writing and great writing. Here are some examples of alternatives.
Lesson 11: ProofreadingA good writer knows that no one gets it right the first time through any manuscript.
Lesson 12: Additional Writing ResourcesHere is a list of books that cover additional writing styles, tips, and guidelines.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Writing Improvement 101Course Number: 7550412Languages: English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: General EducationCEU Value: 1.3 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: improveyourwriting.onlineclasses.comInstructor: Daphnee St.ValSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $65.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $90.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Refine sentences.
- Create logical paragraph structures.
- Write by showing and not telling.
- Describe point of view and use it appropriately.
- Write dialog.
- Demonstrate writing interior monologue.
- Demonstrate writing proportionately and with sophistication.
- Identify poor phrasing and use appropriate substitutions.
- Demonstrate proofreading skills, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Introductions Assignment 5 Lesson 1.1 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 1.2 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 1.3 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 1 Exam Exam 5 Lesson 2 Assignment - Paragraph Writing Assignment 5 Lesson 2.1 Assignment - Exercise on Paragraph Writing Assignment 10 Lesson 2.2 Assignment - Paragraph Writing Assignment 10 Lesson 2 Exam Exam 3 Lesson 3.1 Assignment - Narrative Paragraph Assignment 10 Lesson 3.2 Assignment - Descriptive Paragraph Assignment 10 Lesson 3.3 Assignment - Expository Paragraph Assignment 10 Lesson 3 Exam Exam 3 Lesson 4 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 4 Exam Exam 5 Lesson 5 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 5 Exam Exam 3 Lesson 6 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 6.1 Assignment - Dialogue Writing Assignment 10 Lesson 6.2 Assignment - Dialogue Writing Assignment 10 Lesson 6 Exam Exam 5 Lesson 7 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 7 Exam Exam 4 Lesson 8 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 8 Exam Exam 5 Lesson 9 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 9 Exam Exam 5 Lesson 10 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 11 Assignment Assignment 5 Lesson 11.2 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 11 Exam Exam 5 FINAL EXAM Exam 60 Total Points: 358
- "Very helpful and understanding instructor...All good..." -- David G.
- "The instructor explained things in a way that I could understand. It is usually harder when you don't have a one-on-one with an instructor, but she was great. If I didn't get it, she kept at it. She was a great help to my success!" -- Donna N.
- "The instructor is an excellent instructor and gives prompt feedback. Kudos to her!" -- Antonia J.
- "This course dramatically helped my writing skills, and the instructor had helpful comments on my assignments. I found the layout of the courses most helpful. It built on itself." -- Katrina Z.
- "The instructor is an excellent instructor and she really knows her stuff. The sentence and paragraph improvement exercises were very helpful." -- Patricia R.
- "I found just about everything helpful. The instructor was first-rate. She was very helpful! Thanks!" -- Anita K.