Online Class: Metaphysics 101
with CEU Certificate*
0Studentshave taken this course
Since the beginning of philosophy--indeed, perhaps since the beginning of man's quest to learn about himself and the universe that surrounds him--there has been the discipline of metaphysics. While it may not have always been called such, it is nevertheless an important aspect of being human that everyone has dabbled with to one degree or another. Metaphysics, while sounding very complex or obtuse, is really nothing more than thinking about what exists and what the ultimate reality of the universe is (Geirsson & Losonsky, 1998).
Questions within the field of metaphysics involve many of the "big" issues in life: Is there an absolute right and wrong? Does God (or a creator) exist? What is the universe made of? Does free will exist or are we traveling on a predetermined path? All of these concepts and more, as well as their implications for human thought and life, are part and parcel of the philosophical discipline of metaphysics. While most people may not think in terms of "doing metaphysical thought"--at least not in the strict philosophical sense--the fact remains that all thinking human beings have some sort of metaphysics that guide their lives everyday--a "worldview" in essence.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More Information
Lesson 1: What Is Metaphysics?This lesson provides a definition of metaphysics, the different types of metaphysics that exist, and a rationale for why the field is not as esoteric as many people think.
Lesson 2: Coming to Terms: A Philosophical GlossaryThis lesson presents many of the more important words, phrases, and concepts that will be important to learn before proceeding to the following lessons of the course.
Lesson 3: Classical Metaphysics: The GreeksNo formal records of when metaphysics "began" exist, but the discipline is attributed to ancient Greece, when the first formal mentions of it were first recorded in writing.
Lesson 4: Cosmology & CosmogonyThis lesson examines many of the major cosmologies in turn, noting their core tenets and philosophical implications.
Lesson 5: Determinism & Free WillThis lesson examines some of the more prevalent metaphysical ideas and issues involving the concepts of free will and determinism.
Lesson 6: Mind & MatterThis lesson will present the more prevalent formulations of the mind and matter issue in metaphysics, beginning with the Greeks and culminating with a survey of modern dualism.
Lesson 7: Objects & Their PropertiesThis lesson will examine the age-old "problem of universals" and the various attempts to solve it over the millennia.
Lesson 8: Religion & SpiritualityThis lesson will examine the major religious philosophies in the light of philosophical inquiry.
Lesson 9: Space & TimeThis lesson presents several of the more influential and interesting historical views related to the philosophy of time and space.
Lesson 10: New Age MetaphysicsThis lesson will examine the issue of New Age Metaphysics and it's effect on modern life.
Lesson 11: Does God Exist?Like with many of the other issues presented in previous lessons, metaphysics has been used for years on both sides of this argument to either prove or disprove the existence of God.In this lesson, some of the more prominent arguments for and against God
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- Define metaphysics.
- Summarize classical metaphysics.
- Describe cosmology and cosmogony.
- Summarize determinism and free will.
- Describe the philosophical notions of mind and matter, objects and their properties, religion and spirituality, and space and time.
- Describe philosophical notions of identity and change.
- Describe the religious, philosophical, and science perspective of God, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 1: What Is Metaphysics?||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 2: Coming to Terms: A Philosophical Glossary||Exam||10|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 3: Classical Metaphysics: The Greeks||Exam||10|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 4: Cosmology & Cosmogony||Exam||8|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 5: Determinism & Free Will||Exam||10|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 6: Mind & Matter||Exam||9|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 7: Objects & Their Properties||Exam||9|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 8: Religion & Spirituality||Exam||8|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 9: Space & Time||Exam||9|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 10: The New Age Movement||Exam||8|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 11: Does God Exist?||Exam||9|
|The Final Exam||Exam||42|
- "Overall, the entire course was helpful in establishing a general knowledge of Metaphysical ideas and perspectives." -- Larry S.
- "This course was awesome and the instructor was wonderful. What I found most helpful was the order in which the lessons were arranged, to gradually build understanding. I loved it! Thanks so much." -- Ziana D.
- "I found that the layout of each lesson was done perfectly. The content flowed in a such a way that made learning the information a simple task. I found this course to be very interesting, presenting a mountain full of knowledge. What I have learned from this course has only added to my perspective of the world, and will stay with me for the rest of my life. Thank you for such a well organized experience." -- David L.