Course Syllabus: Nursing Assistant Career Overview
with CEU Certificate*
You'll learn the procedures and training needed that are essential to becoming a successful nursing assistant. Lessons will include information on basic anatomy, crucial testing procedures, the most common ailments a nursing assistant will see in her patients, personal care needs, and proper guidelines for patient mobility. We will also cover topics such as patients' emotional needs, your own emotional health when working with patients who are suffering and legal and ethical issues you may face during your career.
Each lesson will end with a brief review in the form of questions about what you've learned. These will help you understand each lesson more fully and prepare yourself for the certification exam required by most health care organizations for employment. You can refer back to this material as a refresher whenever you feel the need to brush up on particular topics -- keep it as a reference guide after taking your certification exam.
A nursing assistant fulfills a complex role in the life of patients. She is a caregiver who provides compassion, emotional support, physical mobility and day-to-day dignity in addition to basic medical needs. This course is a wonderful way to see if this profession is something you'll want to pursue. If you have chosen to become a nursing assistant, you are a special individual.
This course does not require any previous medical background. Any aged learner (18 or older) is welcome.
This online course contains 13 easy to read lessons which can be completed at own pace (access to course upon enrollment will be available for up to 6 months)
Ø The training requirements and qualifications required to become a nursing assistant.
Ø The duties to expect while on the job.
Ø How to measure height and weight and check vital signs.
Ø An understanding of the body's major organ systems and functions.
Ø Common symptoms a nursing assistant may encounter.
Ø The importance of upholding patient's rights and understanding the measures of comfort you can provide.
Ø The procedures for transferring, discharge and proper bed-making technique.
Ø Different types of diets and the importance of exercising.
Ø Taking care of the comfort, safety, and dignity of each patient.
Ø The procedures used in response to various injuries and emergencies.
Ø How to deal with special needs of acutely ill patients and pediatric care.
Ø The legal aspects of the nursing assistant field, and the types of abuses to look for when assessing patients.
Ø The variety of work choices and facilities in the nursing assistant field.
Ø Important terminology to know.
All course material is available within this online course.
Each lesson is followed by an end of the lesson multiple choice and T/F Quiz (each worth around 20-25 pts.) Some of the lessons will be followed by an assignment based on lesson facts and opinions expressed.
70% or higher will be required in order to complete this course.
· Lesson 1: What is a Nursing Assistant?
· Lesson 2: Vital Signs and Body Measurements
· Lesson 3: Basic Health Knowledge
· Lesson 4: Common Symptoms the Nursing Assistant Faces
· Lesson 5: Patients' Daily Needs and Understanding Your Patients
· Lesson 6: Patient Mobility & Safety
· Lesson 7: Patient Nutrition and Exercise
· Lesson 8: Activities of Daily Living (ADL)
· Lesson 9: Special Care Procedures
· Lesson 10: Special Needs Patients
· Lesson 11: Legal & Ethical Issues
· Lesson 12: Career Options for the Nursing Assistant
· Glossary of Terms
|Assignment 1A: Introductions||5|
|Assignment 1B: The Duties of a Nursing Assistant||25|
|Lesson 1 Exam||15|
|Lesson 2 Exam||19|
|Assignment 3: Real Life Applications||50|
|Lesson 3 Exam||19|
|Lesson 4 Exam||20|
|Assignment 5: Meeting Patient Needs||25|
|Lesson 5 Exam||17|
|Lesson 6 Exam||19|
|Assignment 7: Keeping Patients Active||25|
|Lesson 7 Exam||20|
|Lesson 8 Exam||19|
|Assignment 9: Obtaining CPR Certification||25|
|Lesson 9 Exam||20|
|Lesson 10 Exam||20|
|Assignment 11: Preventing Abuse||25|
|Lesson 11 Exam||17|
|Lesson 12 Exam||12|
- Nursing Assistant Knowledge: Patient Mobility & Safety Information
- So You Want to Become a Nursing Assistant?
- Patients' Daily Needs and Understanding Your Patients as a Nursing Assistant
- Nursing Assistant Preparation: Activities of Daily Living (ADL's)
- Nursing Assistant Career Options
- More Career Options in Healthcare
- ICD-10-CM Coding Guidelines - Injury, Poisoning, and Certain other Consequences of External Causes (Chapter 19)
- HIPAA Enforcement and Penalties
- Concussion Causes and Risk Factors
- ICD-10-PCS Coding Procedures in the Ancillary Subsection
- A Career as a Medical Assistant
- HIPAA Case Study
- Job Overview: Medical Records Transcriptionists
- ICD-10-CM Coding Guidelines - Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Puerperium (Chapter 15) and Certain Conditions Originating in the Perinatal Period (Chapter 16)
- Processing Healthcare Insurance Claims