with CEU Certificate
Perhaps nothing is more representative of modern technological culture than electronic devices. But how do these often mysterious "black boxes" really work? This course presents an overview of the fundamentals of electric/electronic circuit analysis, starting with an overview of electrical theory and moving to simple circuit components like power supplies, resistors, capacitors, and inductors.
The course also provides an introduction to the actual circuit design, construction, test, and measurement, giving the hobbyist a jumping-off point for further pursuit of the subject. In addition, the course highlights some key concepts of semiconductors and semiconductor devices (like transistors). Finally, the lessons conclude with a look at some applications of the principles discussed throughout the course. The lessons are designed to serve students with a variety of backgrounds, and they require only a minimal level of mathematical aptitude (some algebra is helpful but not necessary to understand the main ideas of the course).
Each lesson provides a sufficient background to help novices understand the principles that underlie the operation of electric and electronic circuits. The course can serve as a review of the basic concepts of circuit theory or as a starting point for a more in-depth study of particular areas of interest, such as semiconductor devices, complex electronic networks, circuit design, and hobbyist electronics.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1 Fundamentals of ElectricityTo begin the course, we introduce some elementary principles of electrical theory specifically related to the study of electronics.
Lesson 2 Voltage and CurrentIn particular, this lesson will introduce and define the concepts of voltage and currenttwo critical parameters of electrical circuits.
Lesson 3 Power Supplies and Simple CircuitsIn this lesson, we will consider power supplies (sources of voltage and current) and introduce some very simple circuits.
Lesson 4 Resistor Circuits and Ohms LawThe lesson discusses a gravitational analogy to resistor circuits to help illustrate what is happening electrically.
Lesson 5 Resistor NetworksIn the previous lesson, we studied simple single-resistor circuits. Although these circuits illustrate some key principles of electronics, they arent all that interesting by themselves.
Lesson 6 Capacitor CircuitsThis lesson considers another type of electronic component: the capacitor.
Lesson 7 Fundamentals of MagnetismIn this lesson, well look very briefly at magnetism and its relationship to electric charge. These concepts will allow us to discuss another important circuit device, the inductor, in the next lesson.
Lesson 8 Inductor CircuitsIn this lesson, well add another circuit device to our repertoire: inductors. Our discussion will rely heavily on the concepts of magnetism discussed in the previous lesson.
Lesson 9 Building Electronic CircuitsIn this lesson, well take a break from our intensive theoretical look at circuits and will turn to some practical considerationsspecifically, some basics of building and testing electronic circuits.
Lesson 10 Introduction to Semiconductor DevicesWeve considered a variety of circuit components like resistors, capacitors, and inductors, but perhaps the biggest and most important class of components are based on semiconductors
Lesson 11 Electronics Applied: TransformersIn this lesson, well consider an application of what we've learned thus far: transformers. Specifically, well apply what we know about magnetism and inductors.
Lesson 12 Electronics Applied: Basic Communication CircuitsThe final lesson of this course looks at another application of material from previous lessons: simple communication circuits.
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe wiring and currents.
- Define Alternating Current [AC] and Direct Current [DC] Circuits.
- Describe Solder, Fuses, Connectors, Adapters and Switches.
- Describe transmitters and receivers.
- Summarize the functionalities of Integrated Circuits, Transistors, Resistors, Capacitors and Diodes.
- Identify schematic symbols.
- Summarize the functionalities and purposes of power supplies and multimeters.
- Describe amplifiers and transistors.
- Describe voltage regulators, transformers and transducers.
- Define basic electronic formulas, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 1 Fundamentals of Electricity||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2 Voltage and Current||Exam||10|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 3 Power Supplies and Simple Circuits||Exam||10|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 4 Resistor Circuits and Ohms Law||Exam||10|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 5 Resistor Networks||Exam||10|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 6 Capacitor Circuits||Exam||10|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 7 Fundamentals of Magnetism||Exam||10|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 8 Inductor Circuits||Exam||10|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 9 Building Electronic Circuits||Exam||10|
|Lesson 10 Introduction to Semiconductor Devices||Exam||10|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 11 Electronics Applied: Transformers||Exam||10|
|Lesson 12 Electronics Applied: Basic Communication Circuits||Exam||10|
|The Final Exam||Exam||120|
- Excel 2013$65.001.5 CEUs
- Statistics 101$120.003.5 CEUs
- Physics 101: Beginner to Intermediate Concepts$110.002.4 CEUs
- Computer Basics 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Adobe Premiere 101$95.001.0 CEUs
- Microbiology 101$110.003.0 CEUs
- Adobe Lightroom 101$55.001.0 CEUs
- Office 2013: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook$110.003.5 CEUs
- Quicken 101$50.001.0 CEUs
- Photoshop Elements 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Adobe Photoshop 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Introduction to SQL$70.001.7 CEUs
- Creating WordPress Websites$60.001.0 CEUs
- Learn HTML - Create Webpages Using HTML5$70.001.0 CEUs
- Adobe After Effects 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Introduction to CSS$70.001.1 CEUs
- QuickBooks 101$80.001.0 CEUs
- Microsoft Project 2013$60.001.0 CEUs
- Organic Chemistry 101$105.002.5 CEUs
- Microsoft Publisher 2013$65.001.0 CEUs
- Dreamweaver 101$85.001.0 CEUs
- Biology 101$95.003.5 CEUs
- Office 2010: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook$110.003.5 CEUs
- Essentials of Ecology 101$70.001.0 CEUs
- Geology 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Chemistry 101$95.002.0 CEUs
- Adobe Illustrator 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Pinterest$45.000.3 CEUs
- Social Media 101: How to Use Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn$55.000.5 CEUs
- Marine Biology 101$80.001.0 CEUs
- Adobe InDesign 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Introduction to Cell and Molecular Biology$95.001.8 CEUs
- Astronomy 101$60.000.9 CEUs