Course Syllabus: Learning Disabilities: What You Need to Know
with CEU Certificate*
Welcome to our course on learning disabilities. Learning disabilities affect thousands of students (and adult non-students) from all areas of life. In this course, adults as well as students, parents, relatives and teachers will learn the basics regarding the identification and characteristics of different learning disabilities, and which types are most commonly diagnosed. While this course is not intended to provide an in-depth view of learning disabilities, students will learn the basics regarding causes of learning disabilities, and how they're diagnosed and classified.
Academic placement challenges for the learning disabled exist in schools around the country, from pre-K through high school and postsecondary environments. We'll introduce students to the most common accommodations taken in classroom environments that help teachers develop well-rounded educational development plans for meeting the needs of mainstream, and learning disables students. You'll gain a greater understanding and appreciation for different types of instructional strategies often initiated for the learning disabled, as well as practical approaches to such strategies by teachers and educators.
Learning disabilities often accompany and coincide with additional social or behavior issues, such as lack of self-esteem and self-confidence. We'll introduce a few famous people who have not only accepted their learning disabilities, but learned to cope and overcome many of them. Coping with a learning disability is not easy for students, parents, or teachers, so tips and strategies for parents and teachers when it comes to coping is a topic broached within this course.
Finally, we'll define the seven different types of learners, and the best approach to instruction for each in home and school environments. We'll conclude the course with various methods that parents and teachers can take to help students, deal with stress and expectations, as well as instilling a sense of confidence and self-esteem in those diagnosed with a learning disability.
Lesson 1: What are Learning Disabilities?
Lesson 2: Types and Prevalence of Learning Disabilities
Lesson 3: Causes of Learning Disabilities
Lesson 4: How Learning Disabilities are Diagnosed and Classified
Lesson 5: Academic Placement Challenges
Lesson 6: Learning Disabilities and ADHD
Lesson 7: Instructional Strategies for Learning Disabilities (Part One)
Lesson 8: Practical Approaches to Instructional Strategies for Learning Disabilities (Part Two)
Lesson 9: Dealing with it – Famous People with Learning Disabilities
Lesson 10: Coping with a Learning Disability
Lesson 11: Increasing Confidence
|Lesson 1 Assignment||20|
|Lesson 1 Exam||8|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||20|
|Lesson 2 Exam||8|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||20|
|Lesson 3 Exam||9|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||20|
|Lesson 4 Exam||9|
|Lesson 5 Assignment A||20|
|Lesson 5 Assignment B||20|
|Lesson 5 Exam||7|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||20|
|Lesson 6 Exam||8|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||35|
|Lesson 7 Exam||8|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||30|
|Lesson 8 Exam||10|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||20|
|Lesson 9 Exam||9|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||20|
|Lesson 10 Exam||9|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||20|
|Lesson 11 Exam||10|
|The Final Exam||30|
- Learning Disabilities: What Are the Causes?
- Challenges of Academic Placement for Individuals with Learning Disabilities
- Important Instructional Strategies for Dealing with Learning Disabilities
- Understanding Learning Disabilities
- Famous People with Learning Disabilities
- Managing Self-Esteem in Toddlers
- Problem Solving Strategies: Research/Gathering Data
- Substitute Teaching Daily Routine
- Help for Single Parents - What is it Really Like to Be a Single Parent?
- The Foundation of a Parent-Child Relationship: Establishing a Close, Healthy Parent-Child Relationship
- First Stage of Child Development
- ESL Reading Improvement Strategies: Vocabulary Building
- Practicing Positive Parenting by Fostering Emotional Intelligence
- Classroom Management: Working With Parents
- Reading Comprehension Help: How to Identify Difficulties in Reading