CPT Coding for Beginners
with CEU Certificate*
0Studentshave taken this course
This self-study medical coding course will emphasize the rules and guidelines on the CPT coding manual.
The course benefits those who work or want to work in the medical field whether it be as a medical biller, medical coder, medical collector, or medical office administrator.
The class format is designed to help the beginner coder learn and understand the concept of coding using the CPT-4 coding manual.
The course is designed to help the experienced coder gain additional knowledge and practice on their speed in preparation for the coding certification exam.
Coding scenarios are provided to help the student continue his/her knowledge in the field of medical coding.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More Information
Introduction to the CPT Coding SystemInformation about medical care is exchanged with the use of a numerical system, called a CPT code, which translates into the description of a medical service, procedure, or service.
Modifiers, Sections, and Symbols of CPTThis lesson will cover modifiers, sections, and symbols found in the CPT manual.
Evaluation and Management CPT SectionThis section of the CPT manual contains coding guidelines for medical office visits, consultations, nursing home, home visits, etc.
Anesthesia CPT SectionAnesthesia procedure codes are reported using CPT codes beginning with "0". In addition, other codes are used for reporting anesthesia services provided under unusual circumstances. This lesson also covers the anesthesia modifiers.
Surgery and the Surgical PackageInformation on the Surgery Section and the Surgical Package are provided in this lesson to help the student apply the information when coding from the Surgery Section of the CPT coding manual.
General & Integumentary CPT SectionThe General & Integumentary System consists of subheadings to include skin, nails, repair, destruction, and breast. Subcategories include incision & drainage, excision, paring, and biopsy.
Musculoskeletal System CPT SectionUnderstand and apply coding guidelines found throughout the Musculoskeletal System in the CPT coding manual. Familiarize yourself with how the codes are arranged.
Respiratory CPT SectionThis lesson will cover the Respiratory section and guidelines. Some of the procedures covered in the lesson will include nasal endoscopy and bronchoscopy coding.
Cardiovascular CPT SectionThe cardiovascular subsection contains procedures involving the heart, pericardium, arteries, and veins. Codes for cardio procedures found in the Medicine Section will also be discussed in this lesson.
Digestive System CPT SectionThis lesson will focus on common procedures of the Digestive System, such as tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy, endoscopies and hernia repair. The guidelines will also be reviewed.
Urinary CPT SectionThis lesson will cover coding and guidelines for the Urinary Section of the CPT manual. Coding tips are provided for coding procedures from this section.
Male and Female Genital CPT SectionSpecific codes are assigned when reporting procedures on the anatomy of the male and female. Coding tips will be provided to assist the coder
Maternity CPT SectionMaternity Care and Delivery coding and guidelines are discussed in this lesson. Understanding the Obstetric Package is important when coding from this section.
Nervous System CPT SectionThe Nervous System section contains subsections that describe diagnostic and therapeutic procedures from the nervous system. CPT coding involving the brain and spinal cord will be discussed in this lesson.
Radiology and Pathology CPT SectionsThis lesson will cover the Radiology and Pathology Sections of the CPT Manual. Steps to proper assignment of the CPT code for these sections are added as a guide to the novice coder.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- Define and describe the CPT Coding System.
- Define and recognize Modifiers, Sections, and Symbols of CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Evaluation and Management CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Anesthesia CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Surgery and the Surgical CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Integumentary CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Musculoskeletal System CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Respiratory CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Cardiovascular CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Digestive System CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Urinary CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Male and Female Genital CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Maternity CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Nervous System CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Radiology and Pathology CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Medicine CPT, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Assignment_Intro to CPT Coding Systems||Assignment||100|
|Exam/Intro to CPT Coding||Exam||100|
|Assignment_Modifiers, Sections & Symbols of CPT||Assignment||100|
|Exam/Modifiers-Sections and Symbols of CPT||Exam||100|
|Assignment _Evaluation & Management Section||Assignment||100|
|Exam/Evaluation & Management||Exam||100|
|Basic Elements of the Surgical Package||Exam||100|
|Assignment_Male and Female Genital Systems||Assignment||100|
|Exam/Male & Female Genital Section||Exam||100|
|Exam/Nervous System Section||Exam||100|
|Assignment_Radiology and Pathology Sections||Assignment||100|
|Exam/Radiology and Pathology Sections||Exam||100|