Course Syllabus: Effective Communication 101
with CEU Certificate*
Communication influences all factors of your life. From daily interactions with strangers on the street to the way you present yourself in the board room, the way you communicate is a reflection of who you are and the way you establish relationships with those around you.
Although there are many sides to communication (including verbal interactions, nonverbal cues, and even using technology to maximize impact), there are a few basic fundamentals that span across the nation and around the globe. By understanding the way you communicate and increasing your knowledge of conflict resolution and negotiation, you can increase your probability for success with others.
Whether you are working in the business community, strengthening your personal relationships, or simply seeking to increase your comfort in reaching out to others as a whole, effective communication is your bridge from potentially hazardous misunderstandings to personal – and professional – success.
- Recognizing and Understanding Communication Styles
1. What is Communication?
2. Passive Communication
3. Aggressive Communication
4. Passive-Aggressive Communication
5. Assertive Communication
- Verbal Communication
1. What Makes Up Verbal Communication?
2. How to Use Verbal Communication Effectively
3. Verbal Communication: Case Study
- Nonverbal Communication
1. Defining Nonverbal Communication
2. Why is Nonverbal Communication Effective?
3. Reading Nonverbal Cues
4. Nonverbal Communication: Case Study
- Communicating in Writing
1. Using Written Communication
2. Pros and Cons of Written Communication
3. Tips for Avoiding Misunderstandings in Written Communication
- Cultivating Conversational Skills
1. The Importance of Good Conversational Skills
2. Active Listening
3. Be an Engaging Speaker
- Group Communication
1. The Basics of Group Dynamics
2. Group Interaction and Communication
3. How to Be Effective in Groups
- Communications Technology
1. Modern Technologies
2. Benefits of Communications Technology
3. Drawbacks of Communications Technology
- Barriers to Communication
1. Physical Impairments to Communication
2. Outside Impediments Affecting Communication
3. Personality Conflicts and Communication
4. The Downside of Technology
5. Putting It into Action
- Cultural Aspects of Communication
1. What is Culture?
2. Working in a Global Community
- Disagreements and Conflicts
1. Is Conflict Always Bad?
2. Avoiding Conflict
3. Fostering Healthy Conflict
4. Conflict Resolution
1. What is Negotiation?
3. Considering Everyone's Needs
4. When Negotiation Fails
- Constructive Criticism
1. The Critic-Recipient Relationship
2. Personal Criticism
3. Offering Criticism
4. Receiving Criticism
A brief 25 pt. quiz will follow each lesson. Students will successfully complete this course by mastering all learning outcomes with 70% or higher overall grade.
|Lesson 1 Exam: Recognizing and Understanding Communication Styles||100|
|Lesson 2 Exam: Verbal Communication||100|
|Lesson 3: Non Verbal Communication as an Effective Communication Medium||2|
|Lesson 3 Exam: Nonverbal Communication||90|
|Lesson 4 Exam: Communicating in Writing||100|
|Lesson 5 Exam: Cultivating Conversational Skills||90|
|Lesson 6 Exam: Group Communication||100|
|Lesson 7 Exam: Communications Technology||70|
|Lesson 8: Communications and Conflicts||10|
|Lesson 8 Exam: Barriers to Communication||100|
|Lesson 9 Exam: Cultural Aspects of Communication||100|
|Lesson 10: Conflict Resolution Techniques||10|
|Lesson 10 Exam: Disagreements and Conflicts||100|
|Lesson 11 Exam: Negotiation||100|
|Lesson 12: Receiving Criticism||10|
|Lesson 12 Exam: Constructive Criticism||80|
|The Final Exam||57|
- Needing to Know Communications Technology
- Different Communication Styles
- Awareness and Implementation of Cultural Aspects of Communication
- The Role of Nonverbal Communication in Effective Communication
- Effective Communication: Negotiation
- Business Coaching Preparations for Getting Started
- Strategic Planning: Clarifying the Mission, Vision and Values
- Internet for Beginners: Using the Web
- Is Writing Grant Proposals the Solution to Your Organization's Problems?
- How to Develop Networking Etiquette for Business
- Using Kaizen and Six Sigma Together
- Required Experience and Education Development in Business Coaching
- How to Build a Professional Image in Business
- Strategic Planning: Organization Mandates and Mission
- What is the meaning of ethics in business?