Communication influences all factors of your life. From daily interactions with strangers on the street to the way you present yourself in the board room, the way you communicate is a reflection of who you are and the way you establish relationships with those around you.
Although there are many sides to communication (including verbal interactions, nonverbal cues, and even using technology to maximize impact), there are a few basic fundamentals that span across the nation and around the globe. By understanding the way you communicate and increasing your knowledge of conflict resolution and negotiation, you can increase your probability for success with others.
Whether you are working in the business community, strengthening your personal relationships, or simply seeking to increase your comfort in reaching out to others as a whole, effective communication is your bridge from potentially hazardous misunderstandings to personal – and professional – success.
- Recognizing and Understanding Communication Styles
1. What is Communication?
2. Passive Communication
3. Aggressive Communication
4. Passive-Aggressive Communication
5. Assertive Communication
- Verbal Communication
1. What Makes Up Verbal Communication?
2. How to Use Verbal Communication Effectively
3. Verbal Communication: Case Study
- Nonverbal Communication
1. Defining Nonverbal Communication
2. Why is Nonverbal Communication Effective?
3. Reading Nonverbal Cues
4. Nonverbal Communication: Case Study
- Communicating in Writing
1. Using Written Communication
2. Pros and Cons of Written Communication
3. Tips for Avoiding Misunderstandings in Written Communication
- Cultivating Conversational Skills
1. The Importance of Good Conversational Skills
2. Active Listening
3. Be an Engaging Speaker
- Group Communication
1. The Basics of Group Dynamics
2. Group Interaction and Communication
3. How to Be Effective in Groups
- Communications Technology
1. Modern Technologies
2. Benefits of Communications Technology
3. Drawbacks of Communications Technology
- Barriers to Communication
1. Physical Impairments to Communication
2. Outside Impediments Affecting Communication
3. Personality Conflicts and Communication
4. The Downside of Technology
5. Putting It into Action
- Cultural Aspects of Communication
1. What is Culture?
2. Working in a Global Community
- Disagreements and Conflicts
1. Is Conflict Always Bad?
2. Avoiding Conflict
3. Fostering Healthy Conflict
4. Conflict Resolution
1. What is Negotiation?
3. Considering Everyone's Needs
4. When Negotiation Fails
- Constructive Criticism
1. The Critic-Recipient Relationship
2. Personal Criticism
3. Offering Criticism
4. Receiving Criticism