Online Class: Cake Decorating 101
with CEU Certificate*
Why do you want to learn to make great cakes?
- An upcoming wedding (you've seen what a purchased wedding cake can cost)
- Did you agree to be a "classroom mother" and want to make special cakes for the holidays or specific units?
- Is there a baker in the family you're dying to out-do?
- Are you looking for the appeal offered by more traditional domestic skills?
- Are you hoping to enter a local or regional baking competition?
- Are you thinking of baking to earn some extra dough?
- Is your organization looking for new fundraising opportunities like an upper scale cake walk, perhaps?
These are only a few of the reasons that may have attracted you to this course. However, whatever your motives may be, here are the skills you can look forward to gaining in the following lessons:
- Equipment, utensils, tools and preparations
- The basics of cake-baking: decorating techniques, planning and designing your cake, lining your tines, and more
- Working with Marzipan, Icing, Glaze and Filling Choices
- Decorating your cake with butter cream icing
- Decorating your cake with royal icing
- How to make and use a piping bag
- Decorating with Sugar Flowers (and Other Gum Paste Creations)
- Making and Decorating Wedding Cakes
- Creating decorative children's cakes
- Holiday and celebration cakes
- Theme Cakes
- Beloved Cupcakes
- And More Cake and frosting recipes to express your creativity
With practice and patience, cake decorating can be learned. This exclusive course starts you out with the basics from designing your work space, cake baking, decorating tools, prepping a cake for decorating and many tips of the trade to help you create delectable cakes, icings and fillings. You'll learn the importance of texture and the temperament of icings, how to avoid cake catastrophes, ways to fix them and still keep your cake looking perfect.
Whether you're looking to start a cake decorating business or just make cakes for family and friends, Cake Decorating 101 will teach you all you need to know to turn out professionally decorated cakes. You'll develop techniques practiced by professional cake decorators such as applying buttercream icing, how to make a rose, level a cake, pour ganache and master a piping bag.
From breath taking designs to whimsy, all the latest cake decorating trends are disclosed, with instructions and ideas about how to bake and decorate the darlings of the cake world, finger licking cupcakes.
No previous experience is required but you should know how to work around hot stove tops, and know how to use an oven. In addition, you'll need kitchen supplies--most you probably already own. We will present a shopping list in the first few lessons.
Lesson 1: Getting Started
Lesson 2 : Cake Decorating Tools and Work Space
Lesson 3 : Planning and Designing Your Cake
Lesson 4: The 411 on Cake Baking Basics
Lesson 5: Basic Cake Decorating Recipes
Lesson 6 : Icing, Glaze and Filling Choices
Lesson 7: Decorating with Butter Cream Icing
Lesson 8: Decorating with Royal Icing
Lesson 9: The Scary Piping Bag
Lesson 10: Decorating with Sugar Flowers (And Other Gum Paste Creations)
Lesson 11 : Fruits, Flowers, Fun and Fancy
Lesson 12 : Wedding Cakes
Lesson 13: Decorative Children's Cakes
Lesson 14: Holiday and Celebration Cakes
Lesson 15: Cool Theme Cakes
Lesson 16 : Beloved Cupcakes
Lesson 17 : Express Your Creativity
Lesson 18: Some More Cake & Frosting Recipes
While this course is for information purposes, I will grade your work based on any digital pictures you can send me of your progress, or if a camera is unavailble for your use, you may alternatively type a description of procedures performed and your state your success and familiarity with lesson topics covered.
|Lesson 1 Assignment: Gathering Basic Supplies to begin Baking a Cake||100|
|Lesson 2 Assignment: Cake Decorating tools and Creating your Cake Decorating Workspace||5|
|Lesson 2 : Cake Decorating Tools and Work Space||9|
|Lesson 3 Assignment: Make Yourself Some Quick Reference Cards||5|
|Lesson 3 : Planning and Designing Your Cake||8|
|Lesson 4 Assignment: Try Baking and Decorating a Cake||25|
|Lesson 5 Assignment: Prepare a 2 Layer Box Cake||25|
|Lesson 5 : Planning and Designing||9|
|Lesson 6 Assignment: Practice Working with Fondant||25|
|Lesson 6 : Icing, Glaze and Filling Choices||9|
|Lesson 7 Assignment: Working with ButterCream Icing||25|
|Lesson 8 Assignment: Working with Royal Icing||25|
|Lesson 9 Assignment: Practicing Making a Pastry Bag||10|
|Lesson 9: The Scary Piping Bag||7|
|Lesson 10 Assignment: Working with Flowers||10|
|Lesson 11 Assignment: Practice Making Leafs||10|
|Lesson 11 : Fruits, Flowers, Fun and Fancy||9|
|Lesson 12 Assignment: Cake Decorating Expertise||10|
|Lesson 12 : Wedding Cakes||9|
|Lesson 13 Assignment: Making Children's Cakes||25|
|Lesson 14 Assignment: Decorating a Holiday Cake||25|
|Lesson 15 Assignment: Making Memories||25|
|Lesson 15 : Cool Theme Cakes||10|
|Lesson 16 Assignment: Make Some Cupcakes||25|
|Lesson 16 : Beloved Cupcakes||9|
|Lesson 17 Assignment: Ganache Decorations||25|
|Lesson 17 : Express Your Creativity||8|
- Making Delicious Cupcakes
- How to Decorate Wedding Cakes
- Cake Decorating Basics: Getting Started
- Making Celebrations, Themes and Holiday Cakes
- Some Cake Decorating Recipes and Decorating Tips
- The Importance of Team Work as a Waiter or Waitress
- Understanding the Role of Interior Design
- Running a Home-Based Craft Business: Targeting Your Market
- How to Successfully Team Build Your Restaurant Staff
- Special Event Planner: Types of Social Events
- Kitchen Sanitation: Foodborne Illnesses and Temperature Control
- Time Management Tips for a Successful Home-Based Craft Business
- Exploring Ancient Methods of Anti-Aging
- Licensing and Certification Requirements Needed as an Interior Designer
- Types of Service and Table Settings in Waiter and Waitress Training