Online Class: Writing Basics 101 — Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures
Who should take this course?
Does this course have an instructor that can help me?
Why do I need this course if I can just run a spell check?
Will I be graded on my submissions?
How can I purchase this course for an employee that needs writing help?
What kind of certification is offered at course completion?
The Importance of Proper Grammar and Punctuation
Try reading a paragraph that has had all the punctuation removed and you'll soon realize just how crucial it is. Thoughts run up against each other, you aren't sure where one sentence or phrase begins and another one ends. Chaos reigns in the thoughts you had organized so carefully!
Even the most basic writing, like thank you notes and emails, can be sabotaged by just one grammatical error. In the business world, this can give clients the impression that you aren't careful. If your work is as sloppy as your writing, you aren't the person they want to do business with.
Lesson 1. IntroductionThe introduction to this course will begin by first examining why proper grammar and spelling are important.
Lesson 2. The Basic Rules of SpellingThis lesson describes how to turn singular words to plural and the exceptions to the rule.
Lesson 3. Commonly Misspelled WordsThis is a list of some of the most common and frequently misspelled words.
Lesson 4. Plural Forms for Names, Compound Words, and NumbersThis lesson explains how to form plurals with some examples.
Lesson 5. Understanding "ie" Versus"ei" and Other Spelling DilemmasThis lesson presents the basic explanation of when to use "ie" and "ei".
Lesson 6. Prefix and Suffix RulesThis lesson explains the basics of adding prefixes and suffixes including some exceptions to the rule.
Lesson 7. Common Prefixes and SuffixesThis lesson gives a list of the most common add-ons to root words and their meanings.
Lesson 8. HomonymsThis lesson lists some of the most commonly used words that sound alike but have totally different meanings.
Lesson 9. Subject and PredicateThis lesson defines what a subject and predicate are and how they are used in sentences.
Lesson 10. Verb TensesThis lesson defines the different types of verb tenses from simple to future perfect progressive.
Lesson 11. Nouns and PronounsThis lesson defines what a noun and pronoun are, the different types of pronouns and pronoun cases. Also, the correct usage of who and whom.
Lesson 12. Adjectives and AdverbsThis lesson explains the definitions of adjectives and adverbs and the different degrees for modifying them.
Lesson 13. The PhraseThis lesson describes the use of prepositions in forming sentences.
Lesson 14. The ClauseThis lesson describes the difference between an independent clause and a subordinate clause and the proper usage of that and which.
Lesson 15. Periods and Other End StopsThis lesson describes when to use periods, exclamation marks, and question marks.
Lesson 16. CommasThis lesson explains when and where commas are used in sentences.
Lesson 17. ApostrophesThis lesson covers the basic rules when adding an apostrophe and some exceptions.
Lesson 18. Colons and SemicolonsThis lesson gives the basic rules for using colons and semicolons in a sentence.
Lesson 19. HyphensThis lesson describes when and how to use hyphens and when they are essential.
Lesson 20. Quotation MarksThis lesson explains how to use quotation marks properly in text.
Lesson 21. Refining Your SentencesThis lesson explains how to use phrases and compound sentences to make your writing interesting.
Lesson 22. Paragraph StructureThis lesson explains proper paragraph structure with topic and concluding sentences.
Lesson 23. Types of ParagraphsThis lesson explains the difference between narrative and descriptive and expository paragraphs.
Lesson 24. Writing DialogueThis lesson explains the importance of the structure and flow of dialogue.
Lesson 25. Proofreading and Revising Your WritingWe'll review proofreading and techniques for revising to better improve your writing.
Lesson 26. Additional Grammar and Writing ResourcesAdditional grammar and writing resources
- Define the basic rules of spelling.
- Recognize commonly misspelled words.
- Demonstrate proper use of plural forms for names, compound words and numbers.
- Recognize "ie" versus "ei" and other spelling dilemmas.
- Define prefix and suffix rules.
- Identify common prefixes and suffixes.
- Define homonyms.
- Identify subject and predicate and demonstrate using them properly.
- Identify verb tenses and demonstrate using them properly.
- Identify nouns and pronouns and demonstrate using them properly.
- Identify adjectives and adverbs and demonstrate using them properly.
- Identify the phrase and clause and use them correctly.
- Identify and properly use periods, commas, apostrophes, colons, semicolons, hyphens, and quotation marks.
- Refine your sentence writing, identify types of paragraphs and form paragraphs correctly.
- Demonstrate correct writing of dialogue.
- Proofread and revise your writing.
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- "I enjoyed the information I learned during this course. I liked all of the practice work sheets...I really liked how quickly my assignments were graded and the comments made by my instructor. She is awesome! I would recommend this class to anyone in the future. I'm going to possibly see what other courses you offer that I might be interested in outside of my work requirements." -- Debra W.
- "This course was perfect and concise. From defining rules of spelling and grammar to refining sentences with accurate punctuation and writing dialogue, this class has greatly improved my proofreading and editing skills. This course taught me so many new writing techniques and now I can move forward and do other courses with confidence. Thank you." -- Gene Y.
- "This course was really helpful to me. English has never been a strong subject for me. I try to take refresher courses to help grow in my troubled areas. The areas I struggled within the course gives me room for solid improvement. The materials, videos and resources are excellent. I made me a notebook to keep at my desk. I like also how I could come and go with online learning. It helped me tremendously. Thank you." -- Robbyn F.
- "I enjoyed the course immensely! It was great to be refreshed on sentence structure rules and formal writing techniques." -- Ramon S.
- "The teacher was excellent; it has been a while since I graduated with my bachelor's degree. I really needed to brush up on my English because I love to read." -- Nadine D.
- "I appreciate all of the work Daphne put forth. She was always there to answer questions, and grade lessons promptly." -- Peggy S.
- "I like how you presented the material in a easy to read format. I like how you added writing prompts, to help me interact with the material I just learned. I liked how you used the quizzes to see how must information my brain retained from what I learned." -- Oksana B.
- "The instructor was very professional. I have been taking classes with the same instructor for four years in the row. I am very happy with her." -- George C.
- "This course really was very helpful to me and the instructor was really good about answering all my questions." -- Heidi P.
- "I've taken another course with Daphne before. I love her encouragement and the respect she gives with timely responses to emails or grading assignments." -- Lisa G.
- 14 hours 1.4 CEUs Report Writing 101 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Writing Women's Fiction + More Info
- 9 hours 0.9 CEUs Resume Writing 101 + More Info
- 12 hours 1.2 CEUs How to Write Case Studies + More Info
- 9 hours 0.9 CEUs Mystery Writing + More Info
- 14 hours 1.4 CEUs Journalism 101 + More Info
- 12 hours 1.2 CEUs Advertising, Marketing and Sales Writing + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Understanding Learning Styles + More Info
- 11 hours 1.1 CEUs How to Write a Short Story + More Info
- 11 hours 1.1 CEUs How to Write Short Stories for Children + More Info
- 9 hours 0.9 CEUs ABCs of Technical Writing + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Goal Setting for Business + More Info
- 16 hours 1.6 CEUs Advertising Copywriter + More Info
- 14 hours 1.4 CEUs Creative Writing Workshop + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Speed Reading 101 + More Info
- 11 hours 1.1 CEUs Writing Effective Emails in the Workplace + More Info
- 23 hours 2.3 CEUs Historical Fiction Writing + More Info
- 11 hours 1.1 CEUs How to Write Effective Policies and Procedures + More Info
- 9 hours 0.9 CEUs Reading Comprehension 101 + More Info
- 22 hours 2.2 CEUs Novel Writing 101 + More Info
- 11 hours 1.1 CEUs Journaling and Memoir Writing + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Freelance Writing 101 + More Info
- 19 hours 1.9 CEUs Creative Writing 101 + More Info
- 9 hours 0.9 CEUs Nonfiction Writing 101 + More Info
- 11 hours 1.1 CEUs Essay Writing 101 + More Info
- 11 hours 1.1 CEUs Humor Writing 101 + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Goal Setting 101 + More Info
- 12 hours 1.2 CEUs Romance Writing + More Info
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Teaching Grammar to ESL Students + More Info
- 16 hours 1.6 CEUs Enhance Your Everyday Vocabulary + More Info
- 12 hours 1.2 CEUs Screenwriting 101 + More Info
- 12 hours 1.2 CEUs Paranormal Romance Writing + More Info
- 10 hours 1.0 CEUs Travel Writing 101 + More Info
- 14 hours 1.4 CEUs Creative Writing for Beginners + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Speed Writing 101 + More Info