Online Class: Canoeing 101
with CEU Certificate*
0Studentshave taken this course
In a world where everything seems to be moving at break-neck speed and super techno-logy, there's nothing like paddling down a slow-moving, sunlit, picturesque river to ease one's mind. The fresh air, exercise, and relaxation are added benefits.
- Basic dimensions of a canoe
- The cost and different construction materials of a canoe
- The basic paddling strokes and maneuvers
- How to take beginning canoe lessons
- Preparation for poor weather conditions
- The different water movements and the dangers of tackling the wrong course
- The River Ratings System
- Dangers of hypothermia
- Basic equipment needed on a canoe
So join us today, and let's learn how to canoe!
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More Information
Lesson 1: A Brief History of the CanoeThis lesson will give you a brief history of the canoe, the basic dimensions of a canoe, and the levels achieved in this sport.
Lesson 2: Increasing Your Paddling Skills and Choosing a CanoeIn this lesson, we look at the cost and different construction materials of a canoe.
Lesson 3: Basic Paddling TechniquesIn this section, we will be discussing the basic paddling strokes and maneuvers.
Lesson 4: Portaging a CanoeIn this lesson we will discuss the finer points of "portaging," which simply means carrying the canoe around shoreline trees, sand and gravel bars, and other impassable obstacles found along waterways.
Lesson 5: Paddling Courses for BeginnersThis lesson discusses how to take beginning canoe lessons and be prepared for poor weather conditions.
Lesson 6: Rough Water, Self-Rescue, and Dealing With Bad WeatherBy checking the weather conditions before you go canoeing, you can avoid being in dangerous situations.
Lesson 7: Paddling Locations, Flat Water, Moving WaterThis lesson discusses the different water movements and the dangers of tackling the wrong course.
Lesson 8: River Ratings and the Classification SystemThe River Ratings System is used to describe the level of difficulty a river course presents and the level of skill needed to run that river.
Lesson 9: A Discussion on Paddling Safety and a Checklist of Essential Gear For CanoeistsIn this lesson, we discuss the dangers of hypothermia and the basic equipment needed on a canoe.
Lesson 10: Other Important Gear for PaddlersThe following items are part of a list that make up the basic gear for canoeists.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- Summarize the history of the canoe.
- Describe basic paddling techniques.
- Describe different types of water, self-rescue techniques, and how to deal with bad weather.
- Summarize River Ratings and the Classification System.
- Summarize the safety checklist for canoeing, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 1 Review||Exam||14|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 2 Review||Exam||15|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 3 Review||Exam||14|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 4 Review||Exam||15|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 5 Review||Exam||15|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 6 Review||Exam||15|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 7 Review||Exam||13|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 8 Review||Exam||15|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 9 Review||Exam||14|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 10 Review||Exam||15|