| || || |
Learn the Basics of English Grammar Today
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion
(additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
If you're looking for a quick and efficient review of basic grammar skills, Grammar 101 will meet your needs. This online class is not only for students prepping for high school and college English exams, but anyone who feels their grammar skills are not up to par. Divided into easy-to-understand lessons, this grammar course concentrates on usage, the mechanics of a sentence, spelling, and a general review of grammatical problem areas. Each lesson focuses on frequent errors, gives examples, suggests strategies, and offers further study guides.
This self-paced online course will provide you with a review of the grammar and writing skills necessary when taking any high school or college test, or with your everyday work-related writing and correspondence.
Divided up into 15 easy-to-understand lessons, this grammar course concentrates on usage, the mechanics of a sentence, spelling, and a general review of grammatical problem areas. Each lesson focuses on frequent errors, gives examples, suggests strategies, and offers further study guides.
This course is ideal for all types of students who want to get an edge on taking a high school, college, or a job related English exam and anyone wishing to update and improve their grammar skills.
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
Improper grammar and spelling usage is perceived as a sign--whether right or wrong--that you may be less educated or less intelligent than you actually are. Your writing reflects your personality, your attention to detail, and your focus on the task at hand; this course will help you polish your writing to perfection.
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Recognize the subject and predicate of any sentence.
- Know the differences between nouns and pronouns.
- Be comfortable with forming sentences with the correct verb tenses.
- Recognize irregular verbs.
- Differentiate between adjectives and adverbs and use them properly in sentences.
- Understand what is meant by a Phrase.
- Identify the Clause.
- Break down the mechanics of a sentence.
- Identify the role of modifiers and use them correctly.
- Correctly use capitalization in writing.
- Correctly punctuate sentences.
- Avoid common spelling problems, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1: Introduction to Grammar 101This first lesson will provide an overview and set a guide for this course.
Lesson 2: Subject and PredicateThe definitions and examples of a subject and predicate.
Lesson 3: Nouns and PronounsThis lesson defines nouns and the different forms of pronouns.
Lesson 4: Verb TensesThis lesson discusses the three main tenses of verbs and their sub-categories.
Lesson 5: Common Irregular VerbsCommon Irregular Verbs
Lesson 6: Adjectives and AdverbsAdjectives and Adverbs
Lesson 7: The PhraseThe Phrase
Lesson 8: The ClauseThe clause is a more complete group of words than a phrase.
Lesson 9: Review the Mechanics of a SentenceThis lesson will define and provide examples of errors that form various sentence forms (such as a run-on sentence). This lesson will also provide a review of punctuation rules, capitalization rules, and the role of modifiers.
Lesson 10: The Role of ModifiersHere we discuss how sentence meaning can be misconstrued with simple word misplacement and how to fix it.
Lesson 11: Introduction to CapitalizationThis lesson is a basic introduction for capitalization.
Lesson 12: Introduction to PunctuationThis lesson is an introduction to basic punctuation.
Lesson 13: Review of SpellingThis lesson will provide a guide of frequently misspelled words as well as a spelling guide strategy list.
Lesson 14: Review of DictionThis lesson will discuss the powerful role of words in a sentence and the frequent errors that tend to occur.
Lesson 15: Summary and Additional ResourcesAdditional Resources
|Course Title ||: ||ABCs of English Grammar |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||7550403 |
|Course Type ||: ||General Education |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $40.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
Other Related Classes in English Composition
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures Most of us learned spelling and grammar in elementary school and brushed up on the rules occasionally in junior high or middle school. Once we entered high school, it was assumed we knew and remembered all of the essentials -- and slowly we discovered t...
- Gregg Shorthand 101 Gregg Shorthand is the most widely used system of its kind in the world. It is used by millions of professionals from all walks of life in nearly every country worldwide. This system of shorthand is the most efficient of any other type created, it is con...
- ESL Basic Grammar and Writing This ESL basic grammar and writing course will provide an introduction to the basics of American English grammar and writing. We'll be covering the following topics in detail: - review the basic English structure in the form of nouns, verbs, prepositi...
- Enhance Your Everyday Vocabulary Have you ever been reading a newspaper or listening to a commentary and been confronted with a word you didn't know -- like for instance, plethora ? Over the years, you've seen and heard this word 20 times but you don't quite manage to remember the defi...
- Business Writing Basics We live in world where communication is paramount to survival. In a work environment where communication is equated with the professionalism and efficiency of an individual, would you jeopardize your career because of bad writing? Do you want the embarra...
- Punctuation and Grammar 101 Do you need a refresher course in basic punctuation and grammar? Is your business writing, school writing or personal writing a disaster and you're tired of stressing over mistakes? Improper grammar and punctuation is a sign for some people, right or w...
- Spelling 101 Do you use your Spell Check on your computer obsessively? Are you afraid to write anything without a dictionary or computer spelling program? Are you receiving low grades on schoolwork because of poor spelling? Are your business emails filled with emba...
- Writing Improvement 101 We know that effective writing will help students in their coursework but it's equally important to write well in the workplace. If a job interviewer is considering two qualified candidates, the candidate who can write well will have the edge. If you're ...
- Creative Writing Workshop Do you dream of writing poetry, short stories, or novels? Have you ever watched a movie or a play and felt the desire to write a script of your own? Or have you already done some writing but want to find ways to bring more creativity, more originality, t...
- Creative Writing 101 'Creative Writing 101' is an attempt to capture what cannot be held in hand or thought--the elusive riddle of human creativity as we find it in our writing. Here we look at various forms and genres (books, dramas and plays, poetry, essays, film-writing, ...
- Vocabulary Building Are you interested in building your vocabulary? Do you feel that your writing or your speaking vocabulary is below average? The purpose of Vocabulary Building is to beef up your everyday vocabulary with words that you could use in everyday conversation. ...
- Essay Writing 101 Essays are a vital part of writing, both in academic circles and in many professions. Being able to write good essays is a rare ability and those that can demonstrate a mastery of this writing form will quickly distinguish themselves from those who write...
- Speed Reading 101 Speed reading provides you with the tools and information you need to improve not only the speed that you read, but your comprehension and concentration as well. Speed reading will also provide you with effective tools that you can use when you're in a p...
- Poetry Writing 101 This poetry course is created for the lover of poetry who wants to learn how to appreciate the art even more. It is also for student poets who want to improve their craft. This course is thorough in teaching all students everything they need to know abo...
- How to Write Short Stories for Children 101 Do you long to write but feel like you're too busy? Writing for children can be the answer. Children's stories are generally far shorter and simpler than stories for adults. You can draft an 800 word children's story during a couple of lunch hours or dur...
- Journaling and Memoir Writing 101 It doesn't matter if you're a famous politician, suburban homemaker or someone in between, the fact of the matter is that everyone has a personal story worth telling. Whether you want to honor someone who's made a difference in your life, heal old wounds...
- English Composition 101 Acquiring and developing the fundamentals of English composition is a vital skill that can be used in a variety of settings and situations. Being able to competently compose an essay and organize a thesis is not only useful in academic environments, but ...
- How to Write a Short Story 101 If you're a reader and thought you might like to try your hand at short story writing but just don't know how to get started, this course will help! We'll take you through the entire process…preparing your mind, getting ideas on paper, and he...
- Basic Research Skills Basic Research Skills teaches you how to determine what you need to know when you need to know it. With all of the information readily available today, it's difficult to deciper good information from bad information. Instead of turning to an Internet se...
- Resume Writing 101 One of the most important and intimidating steps in the job search process is writing a solid resume that gets the attention you want and need. Unfortunately, many job seekers get overwhelmed before they even get started. The result is poorly-written res...
- Humor Writing 101 Humor Writing There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you. (Will Rogers) Laughing- the salve of the soul. When we feel at our lowest sometimes the only thing that can turn our mood around and lift ...
- Historical Fiction Writing 101 Writing historical fiction is quite simply writing a story that is set in the past. You will do research to create a correct and realistic setting, based upon facts. Historical fiction can even include real people. You are writing fiction, but it is so ...
- Speed Writing 101 Speedwriting is for anyone out there who needs to write faster. You may be a student struggling frantically to make sense of the lectures that you attend, but your method of taking notes only seems to capture about one-third of the material that is prov...
- Writing the Great American Short Story A pair of hands on the keyboard, a blank screen, and a single wish: You want to write the Great American Short Story! You've read many of them -- Poe's Black Cat, Cheever's Enormous Radio, Welty's The Worn Path -- but have you come close to writing a tal...
- Writing Effective Persuasion 101 Do you hear stirring speeches that inspire to go out and take to heart what the speaker was talking about? Do you wonder how some people can sell nearly anything simply by how they talk? If you do, then chances are you are wondering about being persuasiv...
- Paranormal Romance Writing 101 Paranormal romance is all the rage lately. From books to movies, sexy vampires and gothic love stories are blazing up the bestseller lists and hitting the top of the box office. Paranormal romance falls under the umbrella term 'speculative fiction' whic...