Online Class: Buddhism 101
The worldwide resurgence of interest in Buddhist philosophy demonstrates that its ideals of logic, individualism, tolerance and freedom have appeal in the 21st century. Of the four major religions, Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, and Islam, Buddhism alone makes no attempt to convert others or to persecute those whose beliefs are different. Its message of nonviolence and personal responsibility may be needed more now than ever.
This course examines the known historical facts of the Buddha's life. His teachings are introduced, including the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path to Enlightenment, and the Five Noble Precepts. Participants will learn the nature of Karma, and the distinction between Rebirth in Buddhist philosophy and reincarnation as it is envisioned in Hinduism and other religions. Participants will analyze the history of Buddhist philosophy in the 2500 years since its inception and the differences among the three main branches into which Buddhism has evolved. Participants will have the opportunity to consider the nature of Nirvana and Enlightenment, and the distinction between the two. This course will also provide an overview of Buddhism as it becomes increasingly influential in the modern world, including the areas of art, architecture, science, politics, and culture.
Lesson 1: Who Was the Buddha?This lesson will examine some of the facts and legends about the life of the Buddha.
Lesson 2: The Four Noble Truths of BuddhismThis lesson will examine the basis of Buddha's teaching of the Four Noble Truths, the core philosophy and practice of Buddhism.
Lesson 3: The Eightfold PathThis lesson will present the structure and sequence of the Eightfold Path to Enlightenment.
Lesson 4: The Five PreceptsThis lesson will teach the five moral precepts of Buddhist practice.
Lesson 5: KarmaThis lesson will explore the topic of Karma.
Lesson 6: The Cycle of BirthThis lesson will explore the Buddhist view of the cycle of rebirth.
Lesson 7: The History of BuddhismThis lesson offers an overview of the history of Buddhism around the world.
Lesson 8: Buddhist Art and ArchitectureThis lesson will provide an overview of Buddhist art and architecture.
Lesson 9: Roots and BranchesThis lesson discusses the philosophical differences between some of the branches of Buddhism
Lesson 10: NirvanaThis lesson will analyze the concept of Nirvana.
Lesson 11: Modern BuddhismThis lesson will examine the impact of Buddhism on modern life.
- Summarize who Buddha is.
- Describe The Four Noble Truths of Buddhism, the Eightfold Path, and the Five Precepts.
- Define and recognize karma.
- Describe the cycle of birth.
- Summarize the history of Buddhism.
- Describe Buddhist art and architecture.
- Describe roots and branches of Buddhism.
- Define nirvana.
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- "Thank you for a great course on Buddhism. It met my requirements as I sought to learn something of this religion in order to evaluate if I wished to pursue it further. I found the lessons easy to follow and the additional resources very helpful. I do not think there is a need for anything additional aspects of the subject that need inclusion as Buddhism is such a large subject. I believe the current course structure serves as an awesome introduction to the subject. I enjoyed the course and am now beginning to pursue other avenues of engagement with Buddhism." -- Lynnette M.
- "The instructor was very knowledgeable, positive, and prompt in response to my submissions. Thank you for giving me an opportunity to develop an understanding of Buddhism." -- Shawna B.
- "I think it was helpful that the instructor was available to answer my questions on a timely basis and was was open to me to share my ideas of Buddhism with him even though those ideas wasn't part of the written course. Also, I thought it was great that the instructor did videos on his own to explain the course material and 'bring it all home' which was helpful to really comprehend the material on a deeper level. He also seemed passionate about Buddhism in his videos which made the videos more interesting." -- Cindy C.
- "The instructor is very friendly and kind and he replies almost immediately." -- Jaquie B.
- "The instructor answered quickly and detailed." -- Karin V.
- "All the readings were appropriate as were the assignments. Thanks so much for the timeliness of your feedback." -- Kathleen S.
- "Very nicely done. Much of the information I read came together more clearly for me through the required essays. Thank you! I was looking for an overall understanding of Buddhism. This class did provide that, and more. The most helpful areas were the actual teachings of the Buddha." -- BARBARA P.
- "The instructor was very in-depth when grading assignments. She added the information that would have made my assignment more well rounded and it taught me to read and review before completing. Thank you." -- Pam N.
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Spiritual Counseling + More Info
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs American Heroes and Villains + More Info
- 16 hours 1.6 CEUs American Government + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs American Literature Review + More Info
- 16 hours 1.6 CEUs Judaism 101: An Introduction + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Angels 101: History, Religion, Spiritualism and You + More Info
- 13 hours 1.3 CEUs American History Review + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Angel Healing + More Info
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Twenty Women Who Changed American History + More Info