| || || |
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
If you're a reader and thought you might like to try your hand at short story writing but just don't know how to get started, this course will help!
We'll take you through the entire process…preparing your mind, getting ideas on paper, and help you through the editing and proofing process. You'll learn new skills, and find new ways to express yourself.
As you advance through this course, you're going to learn the correct way to write a short story. More than that, you're going to learn the aspects of every good short story as well as learn how to create your own wonderful works!
Amateur short story writers try to write their stories like miniature novels. Their stories read as either an excerpt or a condensed novel. Unfortunately, undisciplined writers do not write short stories that are complete. They overlook the fundamentals--such as--what sets the short story apart from a novel, and why one can never be substituted for the other.
This course will show you how to write effectively and creatively. So join us today! And let's write some short stories that people will want to read!
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Compare and contrast the differences between a short story and a novel.
- Demonstrate writing techniques that start a short story.
- Describe ways to write a catchy first paragraph.
- Summarize ways to develop characters.
- Describe how to choose a point of view and tense.
- Demonstrate how to properly write dialogue.
- Define setting, context, and plot.
- Identify conflict and tension.
- Build a climax.
- Demonstrate writing out the resolution, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1: The Differences between a Short Story and a NovelTo write short stories it's important that one have a good understanding of what one is and how they differ from novels. This lesson examines in detail what they are and how they differ from and novels.
Lesson 2: Starting a Short StoryWhile novels may have lengthy introductions with background information, short stories do not. With short stories you need to jump right in and work to advance the plot. This lesson explores all the ins and outs of starting a short story.
Lesson 3: Writing a Catchy First ParagraphThe first paragraph of a short story is the biggest determining factor as to whether or not the reader will continue reading or not. This lesson looks at what goes into writing a great opening paragraph.
Lesson 4: Developing CharactersWhile a strong opening to a short story is essential, the characters are the glue that hold it together. In this lesson you will learn about what should go into developing a character.
Lesson 5: Choosing a Point of View and TenseThe point of view your story will take is an important factor. This lesson explains the differences in points of view and tenses and when it's appropriate to use each of them.
Lesson 6: DialogueDialogue is one of the most important and interesting things that goes on in a short story. But how do you write it correctly? This lesson looks at the rules of writing good dialogue.
Lesson 7: Setting, Context, and PlotIn this lesson you will learn about how to go about writing the setting, context, and plot of the story. A lot of what you have learned so far starts coming together with this lesson.
Lesson 8: Conflict and TensionConflict and tension are key elements to any short story. This lesson breaks down and explains the rules of how to use it in writing short stories.
Lesson 9: Building to a ClimaxAll good short stories must build to a climax. This lesson explains what the climax is and when it's ideal to reach it.
Lesson 10: The ResolutionThis lesson focuses on the resolution to the conflict in the short story. It covers what it is and how it's used.
Lesson 11: Tips for Writing Your Short StoriesThis lesson covers information about writing short stories, finding fresh ideas, and finding a market to get them published.
24 Answers Every Writer Should Know24 Answers Every Writer Should Know
|Course Title ||: ||How to Write a Short Story 101 |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||7550283 |
|Course Type ||: ||How To |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $35.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
Other Related Classes in Creative Writing
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures Most of us learned spelling and grammar in elementary school and brushed up on the rules occasionally in junior high or middle school. Once we entered high school, it was assumed we knew and remembered all of the essentials -- and slowly we discovered t...
- ABCs of English Grammar This self-paced online course will provide you with a review of the grammar and writing skills necessary when taking any high school or college test, or with your everyday work-related writing and correspondence. Divided up into 15 easy-to-understand le...
- ESL Basic Grammar and Writing This ESL basic grammar and writing course will provide an introduction to the basics of American English grammar and writing. We'll be covering the following topics in detail: - review the basic English structure in the form of nouns, verbs, prepositi...
- Punctuation and Grammar 101 Do you need a refresher course in basic punctuation and grammar? Is your business writing, school writing or personal writing a disaster and you're tired of stressing over mistakes? Improper grammar and punctuation is a sign for some people, right or w...
- Spelling 101 Do you use your Spell Check on your computer obsessively? Are you afraid to write anything without a dictionary or computer spelling program? Are you receiving low grades on schoolwork because of poor spelling? Are your business emails filled with emba...
- Novel Writing 101 From character and plot-conflict development to infusing a unique style and specialized writing techniques, the steps to writing a novel--while not utterly impossible--do require a dedicated, disciplined approach. By committing to the steps outlined ...
- Writing Improvement 101 We know that effective writing will help students in their coursework but it's equally important to write well in the workplace. If a job interviewer is considering two qualified candidates, the candidate who can write well will have the edge. If you're ...
- Creative Writing Workshop Do you dream of writing poetry, short stories, or novels? Have you ever watched a movie or a play and felt the desire to write a script of your own? Or have you already done some writing but want to find ways to bring more creativity, more originality, t...
- Creative Writing 101 'Creative Writing 101' is an attempt to capture what cannot be held in hand or thought--the elusive riddle of human creativity as we find it in our writing. Here we look at various forms and genres (books, dramas and plays, poetry, essays, film-writing, ...
- Essay Writing 101 Essays are a vital part of writing, both in academic circles and in many professions. Being able to write good essays is a rare ability and those that can demonstrate a mastery of this writing form will quickly distinguish themselves from those who write...
- Poetry Writing 101 This poetry course is created for the lover of poetry who wants to learn how to appreciate the art even more. It is also for student poets who want to improve their craft. This course is thorough in teaching all students everything they need to know abo...
- How to Write Short Stories for Children 101 Do you long to write but feel like you're too busy? Writing for children can be the answer. Children's stories are generally far shorter and simpler than stories for adults. You can draft an 800 word children's story during a couple of lunch hours or dur...
- Journaling and Memoir Writing 101 It doesn't matter if you're a famous politician, suburban homemaker or someone in between, the fact of the matter is that everyone has a personal story worth telling. Whether you want to honor someone who's made a difference in your life, heal old wounds...
- English Composition 101 Acquiring and developing the fundamentals of English composition is a vital skill that can be used in a variety of settings and situations. Being able to competently compose an essay and organize a thesis is not only useful in academic environments, but ...
- Advertising, Marketing and Sales Writing There you are, cold-calling yet another sales prospect. Your verbal pitch is pure gold; your prospect is attentive--interested--and seems ready to buy. But just as you're about to close the deal, you hear that eternal refrain: Send me something ...
- ABCs of Technical Writing Technical writing is the art and science of translating technical information into readable, accessible writing usable by a wide audience. If you have ever read the user's manual for a piece of software or equipment you've purchased, you've seen technica...
- Freelance Writing 101 If you have ever dreamed of being a freelance writer this course is for you. Get started today learning about this exciting field and in no time you can be on your way to earning a living, extra income, and more, by doing something that you love – ...
- Basic Research Skills Basic Research Skills teaches you how to determine what you need to know when you need to know it. With all of the information readily available today, it's difficult to deciper good information from bad information. Instead of turning to an Internet se...
- Mystery Writing 101 This course is perfect for those who have an interest in either Creative Writing or the Mystery Genre . If you love to write and want to move into this popular genre, or you love to read a great mystery and have often thought you could do it, this cours...
- Building Children's Reading Skills This course will provide the learner with a better understanding of the underlying concepts needed to improve the reading skills in children and adults. Through readings, lessons, quizzes and independent explorations, the learner will leave the course w...
- Romance Writing 101 Writing a romance novel is the dream of many people all over the world. It's no wonder: as the most popular fiction genre in the United States for the past three decades, there are more opportunities in romantic fiction than ever before. What's uniq...
- Nonfiction Writing 101 The famous Ayn Rand once wrote, Like every human activity, [writing] requires practice and knowledge. But there is nothing mystical about it. Any person who can speak English grammatically can learn to write nonfiction. This is as true today as when Ms. ...
- Humor Writing 101 Humor Writing There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you. (Will Rogers) Laughing- the salve of the soul. When we feel at our lowest sometimes the only thing that can turn our mood around and lift ...
- Travel Writing 101 Travel writing is a fun, interesting and fulfilling career. If your goal is to become a full-time travel writer who is able to live off your income from writing alone, it is important to understand that travel writing, like any other career, requires you...
- Historical Fiction Writing 101 Writing historical fiction is quite simply writing a story that is set in the past. You will do research to create a correct and realistic setting, based upon facts. Historical fiction can even include real people. You are writing fiction, but it is so ...
- Writing the Great American Short Story A pair of hands on the keyboard, a blank screen, and a single wish: You want to write the Great American Short Story! You've read many of them -- Poe's Black Cat, Cheever's Enormous Radio, Welty's The Worn Path -- but have you come close to writing a tal...
- Writing Effective Persuasion 101 Do you hear stirring speeches that inspire to go out and take to heart what the speaker was talking about? Do you wonder how some people can sell nearly anything simply by how they talk? If you do, then chances are you are wondering about being persuasiv...
- Paranormal Romance Writing 101 Paranormal romance is all the rage lately. From books to movies, sexy vampires and gothic love stories are blazing up the bestseller lists and hitting the top of the box office. Paranormal romance falls under the umbrella term 'speculative fiction' whic...