| || || |
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
Whether you are a student who is seeking to pass the reading comprehension portion of such standardized tests as the SAT, ACT, CLEP, College Placement Test, ACCUPLACER, GRE, MCAT, LSAT, or GMAT, or you need to improve your reading comprehension for work or for other personal reasons, this course is for you. You will learn the best way to approach a variety of reading materials and how to improve both your comprehension and speed when reading those materials.
In today's world it is more important than ever to understand how to draw meaning from what you read. Students and employees are actually required to read more than they ever have in the past--how-to books, technical manuals, and on-line reading resources. In order to position yourself at the top of your organization or the top of your class, learning to read with greater comprehension is a skill that will set you apart from the competition.
Whether you already like to read and simply want to sharpen your skills, or you find that you struggle with reading comprehension and speed, this course has something for everyone. It has been said that reading one book a month every month for five years on a particular topic will position you in the marketplace as an expert. What if you were able to accelerate that speed by reading two books a month for two and a half years, or four books a month for 1.25 years?
Reading is power. Learning to read faster, more accurately, and with greater comprehension is a skill that you need in today's competitive world.
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: What is Reading ComprehensionReading is a skill by which we can learn just about anything. The better you read and understand what you read, the better you will do in school, in your job, and ultimately in your life.
Lesson 2: The Four Modes of ReadingJust about everyone who complains of not being able to understand or comprehend what they just read suffer from one of four basic problems
Lesson 3: Pre-Reading TechniquesThis lesson will focus on how to approach reading technical materials, textbooks, manuals, etc.
Lesson 4: Paragraph StructureReading comprehension is built upon attaching bits of new material to things that you already know. Using pre-reading techniques helps you to develop these connections.
Lesson 5: Types of Reading MaterialAs you evaluate your reading habits and purposes, you will discover that there are a number of reasons for reading anything.
Lesson 6: Develop Ability to Anticipate and PredictImproving your comprehension is based on the way you approach your material.
Lesson 7: VocabularyOne of the very best ways to prepare for a reading comprehension exam, or to improve your overall reading comprehension is to work to improve your vocabulary.
Lesson 8: Common Organizational PatternsWhen you begin to understand the organizational nature of material that you are reading, you can begin to anticipate its flow.
Lesson 9: AnnotationBeing an interactive reader means you approach your reading with questions in your mind.
Lesson 10: Main Idea/ThemeThe main idea of any reading is learned by reading with a questioning mind to determine what the author is trying to say to you.
Lesson 11: Anticipation in ReadingIn this lesson we will discuss three specific methods of presenting information that requires you to interact with the author.
Lesson 12: Writing StylesSome reading situations require that you figure out what the writer is trying to say by understand the cause (the person or thing that makes something happen) and the resulting effect (the thing that happens as a result of the cause.)
Lesson 13: PerspectiveThis lesson deals with perspective, or point of view, a strategy that writers use to more accurately convey their meaning to their readers.
Lesson 14: Language and StyleThis lesson will cover one more aspect of reading comprehension, language and style, before we move on to improving your reading speed, which will help you get through some of the mandatory reading you're required to do for either school or your job.
Lesson 15: Increasing Your Reading Speed - ILearning speed-reading techniques applies to people who need to increase their reading speed.
Lesson 16: Increasing Your Reading Speed - IISpeed-reading is best done when you start with material that is easy for you to read, where it may not matter quite as much how much you comprehend of the material.
|Course Title ||: ||Reading Comprehension 101 |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||8900121 |
|Course Type ||: ||Professional Development |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $40.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
Other Related Classes in English Composition
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures Most of us learned spelling and grammar in elementary school and brushed up on the rules occasionally in junior high or middle school. Once we entered high school, it was assumed we knew and remembered all of the essentials -- and slowly we discovered t...
- ABCs of English Grammar This self-paced online course will provide you with a review of the grammar and writing skills necessary when taking any high school or college test, or with your everyday work-related writing and correspondence. Divided up into 15 easy-to-understand le...
- Enhance Your Everyday Vocabulary Have you ever been reading a newspaper or listening to a commentary and been confronted with a word you didn't know -- like for instance, plethora ? Over the years, you've seen and heard this word 20 times but you don't quite manage to remember the defi...
- Punctuation and Grammar 101 Do you need a refresher course in basic punctuation and grammar? Is your business writing, school writing or personal writing a disaster and you're tired of stressing over mistakes? Improper grammar and punctuation is a sign for some people, right or w...
- Spelling 101 Do you use your Spell Check on your computer obsessively? Are you afraid to write anything without a dictionary or computer spelling program? Are you receiving low grades on schoolwork because of poor spelling? Are your business emails filled with emba...
- Writing Improvement 101 We know that effective writing will help students in their coursework but it's equally important to write well in the workplace. If a job interviewer is considering two qualified candidates, the candidate who can write well will have the edge. If you're ...
- Vocabulary Building Are you interested in building your vocabulary? Do you feel that your writing or your speaking vocabulary is below average? The purpose of Vocabulary Building is to beef up your everyday vocabulary with words that you could use in everyday conversation. ...
- How to Write Short Stories for Children 101 Do you long to write but feel like you're too busy? Writing for children can be the answer. Children's stories are generally far shorter and simpler than stories for adults. You can draft an 800 word children's story during a couple of lunch hours or dur...
- English Composition 101 Acquiring and developing the fundamentals of English composition is a vital skill that can be used in a variety of settings and situations. Being able to competently compose an essay and organize a thesis is not only useful in academic environments, but ...
- How to Teach Reading Fundamentals Reading is the process of absorbing the written word. Whether in English or another language, reading is an essential part of communication between human beings. Reading comprehension is the ability to process, think through and connect ideas that are ex...