| || || |
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
We know that effective writing will help students in their coursework but it's equally important to write well in the workplace. If a job interviewer is considering two qualified candidates, the candidate who can write well will have the edge. If you're interested in improving your basic writing beyond correct grammar and punctuation, this course will help you. The more you write, the more confidence you will have in your abilities as a writer.
The best grammar and punctuation in the world can still produce average or even poor writing if you don't know how to use the sentences properly or which type of sentence works best to get your point across. By the same token, if you can write lyrical sentences but you string them together into paragraphs that are a tangled mess, the sense and impact of each sentence is lost.
This course is designed to give students the most flexibility and independence. You set your own schedule and learn at your convenience. Just because this course is online doesn't mean you're left on your own. The instructor will be reviewing and grading assignments and is always available to answer questions through email.
This course assumes you have a high school reading and writing level in English, and that you understand sentence structure, grammar and punctuation.
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Refine sentences.
- Create logical paragraph structures.
- Write by showing and not telling.
- Describe point of view and use it appropriately.
- Write dialog.
- Demonstrate writing interior monologue.
- Demonstrate writing proportionately and with sophistication.
- Identify poor phrasing and use appropriate substitutions.
- Demonstrate proofreading skills, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1: Introduction to Writing ImprovementIntroduction to Writing Improvement
Lesson 2: Lesson 1: Refining Your SentencesThis lesson describes how to make sentences more interesting by using phrases, combining sentences, and using conjunctions.
Lesson 3: Lesson 2: Paragraph StructureLesson 2: Paragraph Structure
For any narrative, whether a research paper, report, or story, the sentences need to be grouped together into discernible units that organize the information properly in order to make sense. Paragraphs group s
Lesson 4: Lesson 3: Types of ParagraphsUnderstanding how expository, descriptive, and narrative paragraphs should be written will improve your ability to clearly get your point across.
Lesson 5: Lesson 4: Show. Don't TellWhen you show instead of merely telling, you bring the reader into your words.
Lesson 6: Lesson 5: Point of ViewThere are just three basic point of view approaches: first person, third person, and omniscient.
Lesson 7: Lesson 6: Writing DialogueIn order to write vivid dialogue there are several writing conventions you can use.
Lesson 8: Lesson 7: Interior MonologueIt takes skill and knowledge of writing that surpasses the average hobbyist or amateur to make your writing stand out.
Lesson 9: Lesson 8: ProportionYou do not want to give too many details to unimportant events or fill scenes with so many details that the story does not move forward.
Lesson 10: Lesson 9: SophisticationThis lesson discusses how to take what you have written and make it sound as sophisticated as the works of professional writers.
Lesson 11: Lesson 10: Substitutions for Poor PhrasingPoor phrasing is often the difference between good writing and great writing. Here are some examples of alternatives.
Lesson 12: Lesson 11: ProofreadingA good writer knows that no one gets it right the first time through any manuscript.
Lesson 13: Lesson 12: Additional Writing ResourcesHere is a list of books that cover additional writing styles, tips, and guidelines.
|Course Title ||: ||Writing Improvement 101 |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||7550412 |
|Course Type ||: ||General Education |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $65.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
Other Related Classes in English Composition
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures Most of us learned spelling and grammar in elementary school and brushed up on the rules occasionally in junior high or middle school. Once we entered high school, it was assumed we knew and remembered all of the essentials -- and slowly we discovered t...
- ABCs of English Grammar This self-paced online course will provide you with a review of the grammar and writing skills necessary when taking any high school or college test, or with your everyday work-related writing and correspondence. Divided up into 15 easy-to-understand le...
- ESL Basic Grammar and Writing This ESL basic grammar and writing course will provide an introduction to the basics of American English grammar and writing. We'll be covering the following topics in detail: - review the basic English structure in the form of nouns, verbs, prepositi...
- Enhance Your Everyday Vocabulary Have you ever been reading a newspaper or listening to a commentary and been confronted with a word you didn't know -- like for instance, plethora ? Over the years, you've seen and heard this word 20 times but you don't quite manage to remember the defi...
- Punctuation and Grammar 101 Do you need a refresher course in basic punctuation and grammar? Is your business writing, school writing or personal writing a disaster and you're tired of stressing over mistakes? Improper grammar and punctuation is a sign for some people, right or w...
- Spelling 101 Do you use your Spell Check on your computer obsessively? Are you afraid to write anything without a dictionary or computer spelling program? Are you receiving low grades on schoolwork because of poor spelling? Are your business emails filled with emba...
- Novel Writing 101 From character and plot-conflict development to infusing a unique style and specialized writing techniques, the steps to writing a novel--while not utterly impossible--do require a dedicated, disciplined approach. By committing to the steps outlined ...
- Proofreading and Copyediting 101 Become a Skilled Proofreader or Copyeditor If you're looking for a new career path or if you're a writer who wants to improve your writing skills, learning how to proofread and copyedit with our easy to follow, in-depth course, may be just what you nee...
- Creative Writing Workshop Do you dream of writing poetry, short stories, or novels? Have you ever watched a movie or a play and felt the desire to write a script of your own? Or have you already done some writing but want to find ways to bring more creativity, more originality, t...
- Creative Writing 101 'Creative Writing 101' is an attempt to capture what cannot be held in hand or thought--the elusive riddle of human creativity as we find it in our writing. Here we look at various forms and genres (books, dramas and plays, poetry, essays, film-writing, ...
- Vocabulary Building Are you interested in building your vocabulary? Do you feel that your writing or your speaking vocabulary is below average? The purpose of Vocabulary Building is to beef up your everyday vocabulary with words that you could use in everyday conversation. ...
- Essay Writing 101 Essays are a vital part of writing, both in academic circles and in many professions. Being able to write good essays is a rare ability and those that can demonstrate a mastery of this writing form will quickly distinguish themselves from those who write...
- Speed Reading 101 Speed reading provides you with the tools and information you need to improve not only the speed that you read, but your comprehension and concentration as well. Speed reading will also provide you with effective tools that you can use when you're in a p...
- Poetry Writing 101 This poetry course is created for the lover of poetry who wants to learn how to appreciate the art even more. It is also for student poets who want to improve their craft. This course is thorough in teaching all students everything they need to know abo...
- English Composition 101 Acquiring and developing the fundamentals of English composition is a vital skill that can be used in a variety of settings and situations. Being able to competently compose an essay and organize a thesis is not only useful in academic environments, but ...
- Advertising, Marketing and Sales Writing There you are, cold-calling yet another sales prospect. Your verbal pitch is pure gold; your prospect is attentive--interested--and seems ready to buy. But just as you're about to close the deal, you hear that eternal refrain: Send me something ...
- ABCs of Technical Writing Technical writing is the art and science of translating technical information into readable, accessible writing usable by a wide audience. If you have ever read the user's manual for a piece of software or equipment you've purchased, you've seen technica...
- Freelance Writing 101 If you have ever dreamed of being a freelance writer this course is for you. Get started today learning about this exciting field and in no time you can be on your way to earning a living, extra income, and more, by doing something that you love – ...
- Basic Research Skills Basic Research Skills teaches you how to determine what you need to know when you need to know it. With all of the information readily available today, it's difficult to deciper good information from bad information. Instead of turning to an Internet se...
- Screenwriting 101 This is a basic, nuts-and-bolts course, for people who wish to write screenplays, but don't know much about it. Because screenwriting is demanding both technically and in the market for jobs and sales, 'Getting Into The Screenwriting Game to Win' attempt...
- Mystery Writing 101 This course is perfect for those who have an interest in either Creative Writing or the Mystery Genre . If you love to write and want to move into this popular genre, or you love to read a great mystery and have often thought you could do it, this cours...
- Romance Writing 101 Writing a romance novel is the dream of many people all over the world. It's no wonder: as the most popular fiction genre in the United States for the past three decades, there are more opportunities in romantic fiction than ever before. What's uniq...
- Resume Writing 101 One of the most important and intimidating steps in the job search process is writing a solid resume that gets the attention you want and need. Unfortunately, many job seekers get overwhelmed before they even get started. The result is poorly-written res...
- Nonfiction Writing 101 The famous Ayn Rand once wrote, Like every human activity, [writing] requires practice and knowledge. But there is nothing mystical about it. Any person who can speak English grammatically can learn to write nonfiction. This is as true today as when Ms. ...
- Humor Writing 101 Humor Writing There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you. (Will Rogers) Laughing- the salve of the soul. When we feel at our lowest sometimes the only thing that can turn our mood around and lift ...
- Book Editing 101 Writers are a unique breed. They spend their lives creating things that were, or never have been, and they hope to make enough money so that they can live comfortably while others read their work. To be a successful writer, one needs to do many things. ...
- Travel Writing 101 Travel writing is a fun, interesting and fulfilling career. If your goal is to become a full-time travel writer who is able to live off your income from writing alone, it is important to understand that travel writing, like any other career, requires you...
- Proofreading and Copyediting 201: Tips, Techniques, and Exercises We're excited to now provide an intermediate to advanced proofreading and copyediting course for students who have requested more in-depth information about these fields. This self-paced class is geared for those people with little or no experience in t...
- Historical Fiction Writing 101 Writing historical fiction is quite simply writing a story that is set in the past. You will do research to create a correct and realistic setting, based upon facts. Historical fiction can even include real people. You are writing fiction, but it is so ...
- Writing the Great American Short Story A pair of hands on the keyboard, a blank screen, and a single wish: You want to write the Great American Short Story! You've read many of them -- Poe's Black Cat, Cheever's Enormous Radio, Welty's The Worn Path -- but have you come close to writing a tal...
- Writing Effective Persuasion 101 Do you hear stirring speeches that inspire to go out and take to heart what the speaker was talking about? Do you wonder how some people can sell nearly anything simply by how they talk? If you do, then chances are you are wondering about being persuasiv...
- Paranormal Romance Writing 101 Paranormal romance is all the rage lately. From books to movies, sexy vampires and gothic love stories are blazing up the bestseller lists and hitting the top of the box office. Paranormal romance falls under the umbrella term 'speculative fiction' whic...