| || || |
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
When the word "metaphysics" is mentioned, a wide variety of possible meanings springs to mind. For some, it is often considered part of the science of physics; to others, it might mean something mystical; to others still, it might represent a branch of philosophy or merely an incomprehensible mass of theoretical musings that could only be understood by professors with patches on their elbows living in an ivory tower somewhere. While all of these notions may have some merit to them, they only touch upon the true scope and purpose of the field of metaphysics.
Since the beginning of philosophy--indeed, perhaps since the beginning of man's quest to learn about himself and the universe that surrounds him--there has been the discipline of metaphysics. While it may not have always been called such, it is nevertheless an important aspect of being human that everyone has dabbled with to one degree or another. Metaphysics, while sounding very complex or obtuse, is really nothing more than thinking about what exists and what the ultimate reality of the universe is (Geirsson & Losonsky, 1998).
Questions within the field of metaphysics involve many of the "big" issues in life: Is there an absolute right and wrong? Does God (or a creator) exist? What is the universe made of? Does free will exist or are we traveling on a predetermined path? All of these concepts and more, as well as their implications for human thought and life, are part and parcel of the philosophical discipline of metaphysics. While most people may not think in terms of "doing metaphysical thought"--at least not in the strict philosophical sense--the fact remains that all thinking human beings have some sort of metaphysics that guide their lives everyday--a "worldview" in essence.
This course will look at what metaphysics is; what the key concepts and terms within the topic are; the practical ramifications of metaphysics; and very briefly discuss the history, development, and major schools of thought from the ancient Greeks to modern times. Modern "New Age" metaphysics will also be discussed. By the conclusion of the course, it is hoped that the student will have a better understanding of metaphysics and perhaps a increased desire to study further.
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define metaphysics.
- Summarize classical metaphysics.
- Describe cosmology and cosmogony.
- Summarize determinism and free will.
- Describe the philosophical notions of mind and matter, objects and their properties, religion and spirituality, and space and time.
- Describe philosophical notions of identity and change.
- Describe the religious, philosophical, and science perspective of God, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1: What Is Metaphysics?This lesson provides a definition of metaphysics, the different types of metaphysics that exist, and a rationale for why the field is not as esoteric as many people think.
Lesson 2: Coming to Terms: A Philosophical GlossaryThis lesson presents many of the more important words, phrases, and concepts that will be important to learn before proceeding to the following lessons of the course.
Lesson 3: Classical Metaphysics: The GreeksNo formal records of when metaphysics "began" exist, but the discipline is attributed to ancient Greece, when the first formal mentions of it were first recorded in writing.
Lesson 4: Cosmology & CosmogonyThis lesson examines many of the major cosmologies in turn, noting their core tenets and philosophical implications.
Lesson 5: Determinism & Free WillThis lesson examines some of the more prevalent metaphysical ideas and issues involving the concepts of free will and determinism.
Lesson 6: Mind & MatterThis lesson will present the more prevalent formulations of the mind and matter issue in metaphysics, beginning with the Greeks and culminating with a survey of modern dualism.
Lesson 7: Objects & Their PropertiesThis lesson will examine the age-old "problem of universals" and the various attempts to solve it over the millennia.
Lesson 8: Religion & SpiritualityThis lesson will examine the major religious philosophies in the light of philosophical inquiry.
Lesson 9: Space & TimeThis lesson presents several of the more influential and interesting historical views related to the philosophy of time and space.
Lesson 10: New Age MetaphysicsThis lesson will examine the issue of New Age Metaphysics and it's effect on modern life.
Lesson 11: Does God Exist?Like with many of the other issues presented in previous lessons, metaphysics has been used for years on both sides of this argument to either prove or disprove the existence of God.In this lesson, some of the more prominent arguments for and against God
|Course Title ||: ||Metaphysics 101 |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||7550378 |
|Course Type ||: ||General Education |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $45.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
Other Related Classes in Spiritual Studies
- Psychology 101 Why not learn the basics of psychology with our online course designed to give students the most flexibility and independence? Psychology 101 is a comprehensive class providing an up-to-date presentation of the fundamentals of psychology. It's an excel...
- Crystal Therapy In this new age where we seek alternative ways to treat and cure our ailments, our understanding and awareness of crystals and their healing powers have flourished. In fact, you may have noticed that something magical happens when we use crystals as part...
- Paranormal Investigation 101 This course is designed to give you a deeper insight into the world of paranormal investigation. If you are a skeptic, but possess an open mind, you will discover that paranormal investigation is similar to the process of forensic investigation. Essenti...
- Energy Healing Energy Healing, what is it? How is it different, or is it the same, from Color Therapy, Crystal Healing, Reiki, Visualization, Touch Therapy....? Can I do this myself? How would I go about setting up a practice? These questions will be answered in this ...
- Angel Healing The topic of Angel healing has surged in popularity in recent times as interest in angels grows. Numerous books have been written about this subject. This course gives you an introduction to the basics of angel healing from examining the relationship of ...
- Spiritual Counseling 101 This course will be of tremendous help to anyone, and everyone who has an open mind. Spiritual counseling and awareness is beneficial to everyone, no matter what age or education level. More important than material things, more important than the perfect...
- Wicca 101 Wicca is a word that comes with a lot of baggage. Many people fear Wiccans or Witches, folklore tells us that Witches of any breed should be shunned or feared because they will do bad things to you. This may be the case for a few vindictive individuals ...
- Chakras 101 Just what is a chakra? You may have heard the term in a yoga class or seen a chakra massage on your local spa's menu of services, but where did the idea of chakras originate and what associations can be found between chakras and our feelings of health an...
- World Religions 101 World Religions 101 provides a clear and concise introduction to the major world religions. You'll learn about the people, places, practices and philosophies shaping today's events. Some religions might be familiar, some strange and some you may never...
- All About Herbs Herbs are used for both culinary and medicinal purposes--and sometimes even spiritual purposes. All About Herbs will cover all the basics so that you are ready to explore all of Herbs' many uses. Not only will you learn the history and definitions, but ...
- Reiki 1st and 2nd Degree In this course, you will learn the basics of 1st and 2nd Degree Reiki. You will have a foundational understanding necessary for self administering its healing principles, learn how to positively respond to stress, how to relax and to accept happiness, le...
- Abnormal Psychology 101 Abnormal Psychology is a highly complex and fascinating field of study. The modern psychological community has made tremendous strides in better understanding, diagnosing and treating abnormal disorders of the mind compared to centuries and even decades ...
- Angels 101: History, Religion, Spiritualism and You This eleven-lesson course examines the fascinating subject of Angels. Exploring the history of human knowledge of Angels, this course explores the folklore, art and writings associated with Angels, as well as our personal relationship with them on earth....
- Bible Stories Learning Bible stories is a great way to learn more about Christianity. They also help to inspire us and provide great life lessons that can be used in our lives today. Because of all these reasons, and other personal ones that people may have, studying ...
- Chakra Clearing Even while living in a busy, stressful and increasingly toxic world, you and your loved ones still deserve optimum health, harmony and emotional well being. These states can't necessarily be achieved through taking the latest (and most expensive) pharmac...
- Buddhism 101 The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion...arising from the experience of all things natural and spiritual as a meaningful unity. If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs, it would be Buddhism . Albert Eins...
- Flower Essences 101 Flower essences are extremely diluted extracts from flowers that are used to improve the emotional, spiritual, and physical health of people and animals. This type of treatment falls under the umbrella of vibrational medicine and is related to the use o...
- Reiki 1st Degree Reiki is an Eastern healing philosophy, combined with basic universal spiritual principles, which ultimately serves its practitioners very well. It is a practice which honors the holistic needs of the body and spirit and integrates healing principles to ...
- Metaphysics 101 When the word metaphysics is mentioned, a wide variety of possible meanings springs to mind. For some, it is often considered part of the science of physics; to others, it might mean something mystical; to others still, it might represent a branch of phi...
- Cryptozoology 101 The field of cryptozoology is considered a true science by some and by others it ranks somewhere in between UFOlogy and paranormal research. Our goal with this course is to provide students with the most accurate and factual information available, presen...
- Chakra Meditation 101 Chakra Meditation is simple to learn and can take a lifetime to master. This news, however should not keep you from trying it out. Any small effort, a few minutes in your car, shower or before bedtime can be richly rewarded. Think of our bodies as an ene...
- The Runes Some say the Runes are a mystic source of power and protection bestrode from the Ancient Gods. Others have sought and believably found spiritual harmony and co-existence with the natural [earth]. For many, asking for daily guidance by casting of the rune...
- Reiki Essentials Reiki is one of the world's fastest growing healing methods. If it remains unknown and unused, it is most likely because once learned it can be practiced for free and unlike normal medicine requires no additional tools. In this course, we will discuss th...
- Reiki Attunements Reiki is increasingly popular all over the world as a complimentary treatment for both minor ailments and major diseases. More people than ever before are seeking out alternative healing opportunities and many turn to Reiki because of its successful repu...
- Judaism 101: An Introduction Welcome to our online introduction class on Judaism 101. In this course, students will experience the beginnings of Judaism and become familiar with some of the basic beliefs and tenants of one of the largest religions in the world. You'll be introduced...
- Reiki Hand Placements Effectively channel Universal Energy into a powerful healing touch by mastering each of the 12 Reiki hand placements. In this course we will also go over the philosophy of Reiki, the components of Reiki and practice of Reiki. We will also learn what the...
- Reiki 2nd Degree This course is intended for the individual with an understanding of the basic beginnings of the healing powers of Reiki, but is ready to seek a greater understanding of attunement and the flow of directed energy from the provider to the receiver. The fi...
- Teaching Reiki Teaching Reiki will provide a guide that all three levels of Reiki instructors can use in helping their students learn Reiki. This course will begin with an introduction of the practice of Reiki and study Reiki concepts that will lead to more meaningful...