with CEU Certificate
|Course Meeting Times:||Continuous|
The course will focus on counselor's work as well as a counselor's typical day, provide understanding into how personal and professional ethics play a major role in the dynamics between counselor and client, and the challenges of various abnormal behaviors and mental disorders a professional counselor must face in helping people to live their own life rather than be lived by it.
This self-paced course incorporates a vast variety of areas that apply to many different environments and circumstances including addiction, marital problems, eating disorders, bereavement, educational and career counseling. You'll learn the top ten basic counseling skills to create a positive relationship between client and therapist and how these skills can help the client to make positive changes.
Introduction to Counseling offers an inside view of core counseling techniques and approaches, and opportunities for counseling professionals to understand the complex role client diversity plays in their work. When the ailment can't be measured by numbers on the thermometer, that's when a counselor's work begins.
Lesson One – What is a Counselor?
w History and Current Trends in Counseling
w The Nature of a Counselor’s Work
w Job Outlook and Growth Prospects
Lesson Two – Developing Basic Counseling Skills
w Top Ten Basic Counseling Skills
w The Helping and Healing Side of Counseling
w Is Compassion Enough?
Lesson Three - Are You a Candidate for a Counseling Career?
w Counselor Verses Psychologist
w Desirable Qualities Needed to be a Counselor
Lesson Four – Counseling in the Private Sector
w The Changing Role of Counseling in the Workplace
w Violence in the Workplace Today
w Career Counseling
Lesson Five – Mastering the Techniques of Counseling
w Role Playing and Audio/Video Tools
w Didactic Approach
w Experiential Approach
w Skill Development Goals
Lesson Six – Legal and Ethical Issues
w Confidentiality and Professional Ethics in Counseling
w Issues in School Counseling
w Issues in Community Counseling
Lesson Seven – – Popular Counseling Specialties
w Popular Specialties
w Counselor Licensing Descriptions
Lesson Eight – Counseling Formats
w Individual Counseling
w Couples Counseling
w Group Counseling
Lesson Nine – Counselor Self-Care Strategies
w Causes of stress related burnout
Lesson Ten – The Social Worker
w Nature of the Work
w Training and Qualifications
w Job Opportunities for the Social Worker
Lesson Eleven – Counseling in Diverse Environments
w Institutional Environments
w Educational Environments
Lesson Twelve – Business Aspects of Counseling
w Group Counseling Practice
w Private Counseling Practice
w Private Sector Practice
Lesson Thirteen – Record Keeping and Ethical Guidelines
w Why Document?
w Communication in the Workplace
w Body Language
- Define what a counselor is.
- Summarize the basic skills needed to be a successful counselor.
- Evaluate whether or not you could be a counselor.
- Describe career options for counseling in the private sector.
- Summarize the major counseling techniques.
- Describe the law and legal issues behind counseling.
- Summarize counselor self-care strategies.
- Summarize what counseling skills a social worker needs.
- Compare and contrast counseling techniques in diverse environments.
- Summarize ethical guidelines a counselor needs to follow, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
- Listening Skills 101$55.001.2 CEUs
- Assertiveness Training 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Mindfulness in the Workplace 101$60.000.9 CEUs
- Sensitivity Training in the Workplace 101$60.000.6 CEUs
- Fundamentals of Cross-Cultural Communication$60.000.8 CEUs
- Job Performance Appraisals - A How To Guide$60.000.7 CEUs
- Talent Management 101$55.000.8 CEUs
- Healthy Relationships 101$50.001.0 CEUs
- Abnormal Psychology 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Recruitment and Retention Strategies 101$65.000.5 CEUs
- Mediation 101$70.001.2 CEUs
- Confidence Building 101$55.001.0 CEUs
- Spiritual Counseling 101$65.001.3 CEUs
- Persuasion Techniques$60.001.0 CEUs
- Diversity Training 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Childhood Obesity 101$54.001.0 CEUs
- Basic Parenting 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Dream Interpretation 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Anger Management 101$60.000.9 CEUs
- Negotiation Skills$65.000.8 CEUs
- Conflict Resolution 101$60.000.9 CEUs
- Employment Law Fundamentals 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Workers' Compensation 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Workplace Safety 101$60.001.1 CEUs
- Organizational Psychology 101$60.000.8 CEUs
- Child Psychology 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Human Resources Management 101$75.000.8 CEUs
- Psychology 101$90.001.6 CEUs
- Sociology 101$90.001.5 CEUs