| || || |
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
Are you interested in building your vocabulary? Do you feel that your writing or your speaking vocabulary is below average? The purpose of "Vocabulary Building
" is to beef up your everyday vocabulary with words that you could use in everyday conversation.
A strong vocabulary will not only give you the tools to say and write exactly what you mean it can also help you on a job interview, communicate better with a doctor or your lawyer and certainly help you with school work. A good vocabulary makes you sound smarter, feel more assured and practically guarantees you'll be a better writer and speaker. The purpose of this vocabulary class is to beef up your everyday vocabulary with words that you could use in everyday conversation.
The larger our vocabularies the more clearly we can communicate with others and understand what others are trying to communicate to us. This course will introduce some simple ways to learn new vocabulary words by practicing reading in context, by writing sentences using the words and by doing practice exercises and quizzes.
The class is not a beginning or advanced vocabulary course. It's that "in between" course where so many people's vocabulary skills fit. So if you're interested in expanding your vocabulary skills in a self-paced, no stress format where an instructor actually reviews and corrects your sentence writing, why not give it a try? Enrich your life by enriching your vocabulary.
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the best practices to build vocabulary.
- Define and use synonyms.
- Define and use homonyms and homographs.
- Define and use words of foreign origin.
- Recognize misleading words.
- Define and use power words.
- Define and use antonyms.
- Define and use verbal analogies.
- Summarize vocabulary building exercises to use daily, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1: IntroductionAn introduction to the course and an explanation of what will be required for lessons and assignments.
Lesson 2: Lesson 2 Read, Read and ReadQuickest way to enlarge your vocabulary is to read.
Lesson 3: Lesson 3: SynonymsReview synonyms.
Lesson 4: Lesson 4: Synonyms ContinuedMore work on synonyms.
Lesson 5: Lesson 5: Homonyms and HomographsPairs that are often confused and how to keep them straight.
Lesson 6: Lesson 6: Words of Foreign OriginWords from other countries that English has "borrowed".
Lesson 7: Lesson 7: Misleading WordsWords that don't mean what they sound like, or words that sound like other words.
Lesson 8: Lesson 8: Power WordsPower words are words that can evoke an emotional response when they are read or heard.
Lesson 9: Lesson 9: Knowing AntonymsKnowing the antonym of a word will increase your ability to understand and remember the word.
Lesson 10: Lesson 10: Verbal AnalogiesTesting your knowledge of words with verbal analogies.
Lesson 11: Lesson 11: More Vocabulary Building ExercisesVarious vocabulary exercises
|Course Title ||: ||Vocabulary Building |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||7550415 |
|Course Type ||: ||General Education |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Course Review ||: || |
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $35.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
Other Related Classes in English Language
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures Most of us learned spelling and grammar in elementary school and brushed up on the rules occasionally in junior high or middle school. Once we entered high school, it was assumed we knew and remembered all of the essentials -- and slowly we discovered t...
- ABCs of English Grammar This self-paced online course will provide you with a review of the grammar and writing skills necessary when taking any high school or college test, or with your everyday work-related writing and correspondence. Divided up into 15 easy-to-understand le...
- ESL Basic Grammar and Writing This ESL basic grammar and writing course will provide an introduction to the basics of American English grammar and writing. We'll be covering the following topics in detail: - review the basic English structure in the form of nouns, verbs, prepositi...
- Enhance Your Everyday Vocabulary Have you ever been reading a newspaper or listening to a commentary and been confronted with a word you didn't know -- like for instance, plethora ? Over the years, you've seen and heard this word 20 times but you don't quite manage to remember the defi...
- Business Writing Basics We live in world where communication is paramount to survival. In a work environment where communication is equated with the professionalism and efficiency of an individual, would you jeopardize your career because of bad writing? Do you want the embarra...
- Punctuation and Grammar 101 Do you need a refresher course in basic punctuation and grammar? Is your business writing, school writing or personal writing a disaster and you're tired of stressing over mistakes? Improper grammar and punctuation is a sign for some people, right or w...
- Spelling 101 Do you use your Spell Check on your computer obsessively? Are you afraid to write anything without a dictionary or computer spelling program? Are you receiving low grades on schoolwork because of poor spelling? Are your business emails filled with emba...
- Writing Improvement 101 We know that effective writing will help students in their coursework but it's equally important to write well in the workplace. If a job interviewer is considering two qualified candidates, the candidate who can write well will have the edge. If you're ...
- Creative Writing Workshop Do you dream of writing poetry, short stories, or novels? Have you ever watched a movie or a play and felt the desire to write a script of your own? Or have you already done some writing but want to find ways to bring more creativity, more originality, t...
- Creative Writing 101 'Creative Writing 101' is an attempt to capture what cannot be held in hand or thought--the elusive riddle of human creativity as we find it in our writing. Here we look at various forms and genres (books, dramas and plays, poetry, essays, film-writing, ...
- Essay Writing 101 Essays are a vital part of writing, both in academic circles and in many professions. Being able to write good essays is a rare ability and those that can demonstrate a mastery of this writing form will quickly distinguish themselves from those who write...
- Speed Reading 101 Speed reading provides you with the tools and information you need to improve not only the speed that you read, but your comprehension and concentration as well. Speed reading will also provide you with effective tools that you can use when you're in a p...
- Greek Mythology Do you feel totally clueless when it comes to Greek Mythology? Do you often say to yourself: It's all Greek to me? You were supposed to learn this stuff in school but classical mythology isn't really taught anymore in elementary or secondary schools....
- Poetry Writing 101 This poetry course is created for the lover of poetry who wants to learn how to appreciate the art even more. It is also for student poets who want to improve their craft. This course is thorough in teaching all students everything they need to know abo...
- How to Write Short Stories for Children 101 Do you long to write but feel like you're too busy? Writing for children can be the answer. Children's stories are generally far shorter and simpler than stories for adults. You can draft an 800 word children's story during a couple of lunch hours or dur...
- English Composition 101 Acquiring and developing the fundamentals of English composition is a vital skill that can be used in a variety of settings and situations. Being able to competently compose an essay and organize a thesis is not only useful in academic environments, but ...
- Basic Research Skills Basic Research Skills teaches you how to determine what you need to know when you need to know it. With all of the information readily available today, it's difficult to deciper good information from bad information. Instead of turning to an Internet se...
- Philosophy 101 Philosophy is a mystifying, confounding, and wondrous discipline that affects virtually every aspect of human existence. While it attempts to consider the big issues of our lives, including our very existence, the nature of the world, whether or not know...
- Resume Writing 101 One of the most important and intimidating steps in the job search process is writing a solid resume that gets the attention you want and need. Unfortunately, many job seekers get overwhelmed before they even get started. The result is poorly-written res...
- Humor Writing 101 Humor Writing There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you. (Will Rogers) Laughing- the salve of the soul. When we feel at our lowest sometimes the only thing that can turn our mood around and lift ...
- American Literature Review Reading and learning about American literature is synonymous with understanding the history and culture of a nation that has undergone dramatic social, economic, and cultural change in its relatively short history. This course is a reveiw of the literat...
- Historical Fiction Writing 101 Writing historical fiction is quite simply writing a story that is set in the past. You will do research to create a correct and realistic setting, based upon facts. Historical fiction can even include real people. You are writing fiction, but it is so ...
- Paranormal Romance Writing 101 Paranormal romance is all the rage lately. From books to movies, sexy vampires and gothic love stories are blazing up the bestseller lists and hitting the top of the box office. Paranormal romance falls under the umbrella term 'speculative fiction' whic...