| || || |
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
This self-study medical coding course will emphasize the rules and guidelines on the CPT coding manual.
The course benefits those who work or want to work in the medical field whether it be as a medical biller, medical coder, medical collector, or medical office administrator.
The class format is designed to help the beginner coder learn and understand the concept of coding using the CPT-4 coding manual.
The course is designed to help the experienced coder gain additional knowledge and practice on their speed in preparation for the coding certification exam.
Coding scenarios are provided to help the student continue his/her knowledge in the field of medical coding.
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define and describe the CPT Coding System.
- Define and recognize Modifiers, Sections, and Symbols of CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Evaluation and Management CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Anesthesia CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Surgery and the Surgical CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Integumentary CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Musculoskeletal System CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Respiratory CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Cardiovascular CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Digestive System CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Urinary CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Male and Female Genital CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Maternity CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Nervous System CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Radiology and Pathology CPT.
- Describe and demonstrate coding Medicine CPT, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1: Introduction to the CPT Coding SystemInformation about medical care is exchanged with the use of a numerical system that translates into the description of a medical service, procedure, or service called a CPT code.
Lesson 2: Modifiers, Sections, and Symbols of CPTThis lesson will cover modifiers, sections, and symbols found in the CPT manual.
Lesson 3: Evaluation and Management CPT SectionThis section of the CPT manual contains coding guidelines for medical office visits, consultations, nursing home, home visits, etc.
Lesson 4: Anesthesia CPT SectionAnesthesia procedures codes are reported using CPT codes beginning with "0". In addition, other codes are used for reporting anesthesia services provided under unusual circumstances. This lesson also covers the anesthesia modifiers.
Lesson 5: Surgery and the Surgical PackageInformation on the Surgery Section and the Surgical Package are provided in this lesson to help the student apply the information when coding from the Surgery Section of the CPT coding manual.
Lesson 6: General & Integumentary CPT SectionThe General & Integumentary System consists of subheadings to include skin, nails, repair, destruction, and breast. Subcategories include incision & drainage, excision, paring, biopsy...
Lesson 7: Musculoskeletal System CPT SectionUnderstand and apply coding guidelines found throughout the Musculoskeletal System in the CPT coding manual. Familiarize yourself with how the codes are arranged.
Lesson 8: Respiratory CPT SectionThis lesson will cover the Respiratory Section and Guidelines. Some of the procedures covered in the lesson will include nasal endoscopy and bronchoscopy coding.
Lesson 9: Cardiovascular CPT SectionThe Cardiovascular subsection contains procedures involving the heart, pericardium, arteries and, veins. Code discussion for cardio procedures found in the Medicine Section will also be discussed in this lesson.
Lesson 10: Digestive System CPT SectionThis lesson will focus on common procedures of the Digestive System, such as tonsillectomy & adenoidectomy, endoscopies and hernia repair. The Guidelines will also be reviewed.
Lesson 11: Urinary CPT SectionThis lesson will cover coding and guidelines for the Urinary Section of the CPT manual. Coding tips are provided for coding procedures from this section.
Lesson 12: Male and Female Genital CPT SectionSpecific codes are assigned when reporting procedures on the anatomy of the male and female. Coding tips will be provided to assist the coder with code selection.
Lesson 13: Maternity CPT SectionMaternity Care and Delivery Coding and Guidelines are discussed in this lesson. Understanding the Obstetric Package is important when coding from this section.
Lesson 14: Nervous System CPT SectionThe Nervous System Section contains subsections which describes diagnostic and therapeutic procedures from the nervous sytem. CPT coding involving the brain and spinal cord will be discussed in this lesson.
Lesson 15: Radiology and Pathology CPT SectionsThis lesson will cover the Radiology and Pathology Sections of the CPT Manual. Steps to proper assignment of the CPT code for these sections are added as a guidance to the novice coder.
|Course Title ||: ||CPT Coding for Beginners |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||7550018 |
|Course Type ||: ||Professional (Novice Level) |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $129.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
Other Related Classes in Health and Medical Administration
- Medical Terminology 101 This medical terminology course covers the medical language and terminology used by health care professionals everywhere. If you're interested in pursuing a health and science career requiring the ability to communicate with physicians, dentists, or ot...
- Introduction to Medical Coding The healthcare industry, complex and rigorous even for the most knowledgeable and thorough of professionals, requires that paperwork be submitted both in a highly accurate and very timely manner. The area of healthcare involving the completion of paperwo...
- Introduction to Medical Billing Medical billing is one of the fastest growing healthcare jobs. Hospitals, private practices and clinics could not survive without someone who efficiently handles their day-to-day Medical Billing procedures. A medical biller's job responsibilities can i...
- Anatomy and Physiology 101 This self-paced anatomy and physiology course will cover all the bodily systems playing a major role in human anatomy. The material is presented in a practical and comprehensive manner. The focus of the course is on the need-to-know facts that must be un...
- Comprehensive Medical Terminology 1 & 2 This comprehensive medical terminology combination course covers both courses: Medical Terminology 101 and 201. We'll start with the very basics of medical terminology, reviewing word roots, prefixes, and suffixes that make up medical words. We'll then m...
- CPT Coding for Beginners This self-study medical coding course will emphasize the rules and guidelines on the CPT coding manual. The course benefits those who work or want to work in the medical field whether it be as a medical biller, medical coder, medical collector, or medic...
- Medical Terminology 201 Medical terminology is the specific language used by professionals in the medical industry and for success in this field, understanding and communicating in the language is critical. Medical Terminology 201 is an advanced course for those with some expe...
- Careers in Healthcare Whenever the field of medicine is mentioned, people generally think about doctors and nurses. In fact, not that many years ago, those medical practitioners just about covered the subject. In recent years, however, the field has grown beyond imagination. ...
- Medical Transcription 101 With the opportunities to work in the healthcare field, particularly that within the Medical Transcriptionist (MT) arena, foreseen to be on the rise for the next ten years; it makes a great deal of sense to acquire specialized training within the field. ...
- Medical Assistant 101: Career Overview Medical assisting is a relatively new career choice, and it is a booming industry. With the current economic crisis, many health care providers are looking for talented and willing individuals to train with them as assistants to help them care for more p...